You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

TV - UFO 1970 series

7 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,396 posts
24,537 battles

I found something on Amazon prime videos. It is a old 1970 TV series called UFO. I use to watch this when I was a kid. 

Watching the series now are things that would be very questionable and would not be happening now. 

Such as:

• The open cigarette and cigar smoking in buildings
  • The use of alcohol being dispersed as if it was a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine
  • The Blue hair-do and makeup of Moon base female operatives
  • The misogynistic attitudes towards the wardrobe females
  • What is consider computer equipment then, compared to now
  • How aliens are capturing humans for spare parts for the decaying alien bodies
  • And using nuclear missiles as the "end all" in destroying UFO saucers

The one thing I did like was the AI SID, Space Intruder Detector. I was amazed how SID was developed.

All of this reminds me of being a live version of the Thunderbird's puppet TV show. The UFO show is  suppose to be taking place in 1980. Damn, I am old fart now.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

45 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

• The open cigarette and cigar smoking in buildings
  • The use of alcohol being dispersed as if it was a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine
  • The Blue hair-do and makeup of Moon base female operatives
  • The misogynistic attitudes towards the wardrobe females
  • What is consider computer equipment then, compared to now
  • How aliens are capturing humans for spare parts for the decaying alien bodies
  • And using nuclear missiles as the "end all" in destroying UFO saucers

The open cigarette and cigar smoking in buildings

When I was a kid, people attending basketball games couldn't smoke in the gym proper but they could in the "smoking room" just outside of it. Problem was that you had to walk through that room to get to the gym. Sometimes you couldn't even see the door at the other side of the room. I'm old enough to remember smoking in movie theaters too, and in restaurants, which is why I got out of the habit of even going to them. Your "non-smoking" table doesn't do you much good if it's right next to a smoking table.

Every single one of those old men that smoked in that room died in their 60s.

The use of alcohol being dispersed as if it was a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine

James Bond movies and advertisements made alcohol consumption seem "sophisticated" to many. The reality was a bunch of sloppy, mean drunks that abused their families and killed people while drunk driving.

The Blue hair-do and makeup of Moon base female operatives

Well, I'll have to give this one to the show, as the future is now.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYCCi2UqM1jChjPOZJI_o

What is consider computer equipment then, compared to now

Does not compute...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX4MgFV7Qqbg7sBrVWz9A

105637465_de971dcc97_c.jpg

How aliens are capturing humans for spare parts for the decaying alien bodies

Parts is parts.

Trek-Voyager-Phage04.jpg?w=800&type=vert

using nuclear missiles as the "end all" in destroying UFO saucers

Whatever works.

211105-marshall-islands-hero_ojlesu

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

All of this reminds me of being a live version of the Thunderbird's puppet TV show.

There's a very good reason for that, and Space: 1999 would be the final expression of that trend. 

Oddly enough, when I was a kid I saw a lot of Space 1999 and Thunderbirds. UFO hardly ever aired, and when it came back it was at an obscenely late hour.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles

I watched Space: 1999 when it aired on television in the 1970's/1980's.

The UFO television series was only discovered by me within the past decade.

Given when both television series were developed, there's plenty of cultural behavior that originates from the scriptwriters of the time and the culturally entertaining notions of what was "cool" and "swinging".
The UFO series combined "spy" genre with "space" genre and used sets and scale-models of various vehicles to convey portions of the science-fiction story.
Personally, I like it.

I'm not sure what the budgets were, but UFO delivered higher quality special effects and sets than Doctor Who or Dark Shadows episodes of the same era.  :-)
I like them all, for various reasons.  :-)

Members
2,766 posts

I have all 26 episodes of the show on my media server (which has about 8000 tv, movie, and misc videos as well as about 10000 audio files from music to old radio shows). I loved it as a kid and still enjoy them now as they mixed scifi with real life, as one might expect a clandestine operation to do.

The biggest issue I have with the show is its chronology. I have them in broadcast order, but there's been work done by others that say the episodes not in chronological order, which has vexed me. I actually ordered my Babylon 5 shows according to chronology, which integrated the 'movies/specials' into the big timeline and had one 4th season show near the beginning of the whole series. I've thought of getting Space 1999, but it fundamentally changed after the first season and just got goofy, and I have little interest in seeing them again.

Edited by theLaalaa