Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

7 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
3 hours ago, Quasirecidivist said:

Is it possible to put some sort of 'captcha' before the game, so we know real people are competing?

+1. Very good idea.

Hey @Boggzy can we send this suggestion to the Developers? Or if this was already considered, ask them when a similar implementation will be implemented? 

[WPORT]
Members
20,592 posts
22,563 battles

I think player-bots are annoying, but merely occasional.
But a constant feature of playing "capcha" would be really annoying and I'd be clicking on another game instead of one that asks me to prove I'm human before every single battle.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,117 posts
35,137 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think player-bots are annoying, but merely occasional.
But a constant feature of playing "capcha" would be really annoying and I'd be clicking on another game instead of one that asks me to prove I'm human before every single battle.

I can’t say with certainty I’ve ever actually seen one.

[WPORT]
Members
20,592 posts
22,563 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

I can’t say with certainty I’ve ever actually seen one.

I've seen ships sailing in a straight line and main-guns not firing, among other "clues".
Problem is, some player behavior (i.e. behavior that doesn't contribute to the efficiency of one's team and earn street-cred for one's ship) can be explained by 'away from keyboard' or 'disconnected' status.
So, without being privy to WOWs subsequent investigations, I also cannot be "certain".

Even so, the phenomena I've observed has been occasional, rather than frequent.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,568 posts
17,503 battles
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Problem is, some player behavior (i.e. behavior that doesn't contribute to the efficiency of one's team and earn street-cred for one's ship) can be explained by 'away from keyboard' or 'disconnected' status.

In my years of play, I’ve seen a handful of players I might have suspected of botting. But many of them could just as easily be explained by “wants to intentionally troll their team and throw” as “is running a bot program.” Especially when some of them didn’t exhibit what I’d typically consider characteristic bot behavior.

And of course there’s the occasional troll that I’d almost wish were replaced with a bot (the co-op kind or the TOS violating kind), but that’s a completely different matter.

In fact, there’s only one player I can think of whose actions could really only seem like those of a bot. Obviously not going to post it here, but it’s someone who I believe has been mentioned or talked about several times in the past. Same ship, same mode, exact same gameplay every single time. Also took a few coincidental vacations (or at least I went from seeing that player a couple nights a week to not running into their name for months at a time).

The last couple times I’ve seen that player, they seem to not be running the bot anymore. Or if they are, they’re at least using other ships and the bot’s playing differently too. 

But I’d definitely agree. Adding a captcha would prevent true bots from joining a game, but would almost certainly drive away lots of real humans to other games. 

Sign in to follow this