You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_of_Satisfaction

No Premium, Free Players

92 comments in this topic

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles

I have since bought premium time and ships, but I was well over 1k battles by that point. My first premium ship purchased with cash (as opposed to all freely earned doubloons) was Massachusetts in December 2019, and then a couple months of premium here and there in 2020 before the discounted year right at the start of 2021. 

I was perfectly fine playing as a completely f2p player, going back to the start of open beta, and didn’t really want to spend money on the game. Even still my overall spending is on the lower side. If there’s something I really want that’s cash/doubloons only, I’ll throw some money WG’s way, but that’s about it. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[_PBR_]
Members
164 posts
7,531 battles

I am 100% FTP. Have not spent a dime on this game. I have bought premium ships with dubs from ranked though so there is that. But still FTP. Get premium time from CBs and other sources. 

Edited by DeathwlngReborn
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

23 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

I'm very curious to know how many people with over 1000 games have never bought a premium ship, or have always played for free.

If so, why or why not???

Thanks!

I play for free because I'm relatively poor, having put everything I've ever made back into into more travel, experience, and education until I finally realized that I was to old to actually start making any "real" money but why did I need to anyway as I'd spent a lifetime doing things that most people only dreamt about or only did on their vacations. I've learned to be exceedingly frugal. If you are going to provide me with the opportunity to obtain or do something for free then I'm going to take full advantage of it.

WOWS is a free-to-play/pay-for-convenience game. If you just gotta play at tier 10 but don't want to spend the time creeping up through the tech trees then buy a Premium ship. If you want a certain tech tree ship but don't want to mess around for too long in getting it then buy some Premium time and economic bonuses. However, play long enough and you will eventually get most of the same perks. I have 25 Premium ships in my port. All but one that someone gifted to me were obtained from events or supercontainer drops.

• Cool 1

[HOP4S]
Members
6,993 posts
35,404 battles

I started as a F2P.  At some point, it just made sense to purchase PT using gift cards from Birthdays, Father's day and Xmas....  I started in Randoms and realized just how bad that mode is and reverted to PVE and have stayed there since.  Premium ships were bought (Coal and Steel and Research points) or won.  I never envisioned being one or the other.....   Now, if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't have played as a F2P and would have simply purchased what I needed and ignored the TT with the exceptions of those ships from the TT I prefer to use....

[-MOE-]
Members
112 posts
10,829 battles

I'm a 100% F2P player. The only thing I got questionably is a few thousand doubloons from the recruiting system. I was a hardcore WoT player and got mad at WG about a clan war change so I stopped spending from then. After I started WoWS I utilized a lot of the F2P experience I got from WoT and I found that F2P experience is fairly good here. Eventually I stopped playing WoT. Now I'm F2P just for F2P itself. I actually enjoy a lot about completing all the events and getting the rewards and expanding my collection, without paying anything. I don't feel pity for things that I can't get or miss. I'm happier with everything I get. I can show off to my friend: look I got allll those premium ships for free! To the point that now if I pay for something it kind of ruins the fun.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Members
257 posts
12,229 battles

I first became aware of WoWS from youtube videos ... but was disinclined to download it because I was just too busy. Eventually life changed and I decided to give it a shot. But from the very first I had no intention whatsoever in ever spending a cent for a number of reasons:

1. If I am to spend money I need to get something of value in return, and nothing that WoWS charges for strikes me of sufficient value.

2. I don't approve of the management and development of the game. I'm not going to reward a company which I believe is doing it wrong. I've had a low opinion of WG (as was) since I bailed on WoT many years ago, and their actions since I started playing WoWS has confirmed that opinion.

I'm not impatient ... I am quite willing to grind for what I want. Once I got my hands on the Salem I was overjoyed as it suits my preferred play style better than any other ship I've tried ... and I got my Salem for coal.

Some people might say that the game needs whales, and I agree that it does. But the game also needs all the F2P players it can get or the whales won't have anyone to shoot at, so I consider that a fair exchange.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,407 posts
15,676 battles

From the very first time I played this game I realized I really enjoyed it . I always loved naval warfare and history but was not a big video game player till I saw this game advertised as free to play . 
I Don’t have fancy cars or clothes but blessed to make a good living . So I work hard and choose to spend some money on a game that for 6 years has brought me countless hours of fun and relaxation .

Although every thing is not perfect I still love the game love my collection of ships and still enjoy logging in after a hard days work .For me it’s been money well spent and to this day I still look forward to coming home from work with a six pack a pizza sitting down and playing Wows . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 3

[MI-BR]
Members
265 posts
4,890 battles

I have won all my premium ships in containers. I find the free tech tree ships lots of fun so I don't bother with premiums. I spend $25 about 3 times per year to get the special with the month of free premium and 2500 doubloons, and can get through most of the year as premium just on that because they give away lots of free premium. In a year and a half of playing I have spent at most $150, which seems pretty reasonable for such a fun game.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,065 posts
29,291 battles
7 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Now, if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't have played as a F2P

If I were starting now, with the number of low and mid tier coal ships currently available, I might never have opened my wallet. As it was, it took me nine months and a couple of very good bargains offered together in order to do so.

As for the tech tree, the sheer variety of ships available there now, compared to when I started, is enough to keep the casual mid-tier player busy for a long while. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
1,527 posts

A family member gave me between $10 and $20 in doubloons (whatever was a round number at the time) during my first year playing WoWs, otherwise everything has been FTP.

I have never seen a value in paying cash for premium ships or time; I am patient enough to collect in-game rewards to meet my needs.

[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
338 posts
15,143 battles

Like others, I was a hardcore WoT gamer doing CB's, Strongholds and paid for premium time and tanks.  I got into WoW during Open Beta and it took me a while to consider buying premium time and premium ships because I slowly moved away from WoT.  I finally left full time back in 2018 because of how WG was doing the CB reward tanks and the super clans were using their alt accounts to snap up the scraps of reward tanks.

My first premium was the Tirpitz and I had a coupon for it.  I was grinding through each line as they became available and at one point, I was doing the anime ships like the Kongo class BBs, and the IJN cruisers.  Finally, I broke down and started buying premium time and ships because, well, I enjoyed the game that much.  I've slowed down my spending and now I've spend my first $25USD for the BP and I'll see if it's worth it to keep buying it.  I admit this is my guilty pleasure - I don't drink or smoke so to pay for my gaming pleasure is fine by me.  

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,450 posts
10,185 battles

I've only ever bought with real money the Prinz Eugen, because it was a returnee offer I got after 2-3 years off the game, I got it with a very good discount (paid the equivalent to $10usd). Beyond that I haven't paid for anything in this game. 

I'm FTP for 2 reasons, one being I have to cover a lot of RL expenses so there's never a good reasons to spend in something as trivial as a game, when there's stuff like going out for icecream with my family or buying my daughter a new book to read, etc. 

The second reason is I don't need to spend in the game in order to enjoy the game. Spending won't give me more satisfaction with the game so why spend?. As I see things, by reducing the time needed to acquire game items, PT acts against the "potential play time" of the game, reducing it. In a way I'll be "shooting myself in the foot" and missing potential hours of gameplay. So PT as a product has no value to me, it is great if I get it for free, but I wouldn't pay for it.

[WHARF]
Members
847 posts
22,494 battles
10 hours ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

I'm very curious to know how many people with over 1000 games have never bought a premium ship, or have always played for free.

If so, why or why not???

Thanks!

only ships i bought,,,HAIDA...was one of those leading the charge to have her in game....Cossack...only cost me a dollar...have over 60 premium ships...that i didnt pay for,events etc so why pay when plenty of ways to get them for free

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

Mostly F2P. The only ships I bought with money are Tirpitz, Missouri, and Atlanta. Rest of my premiums are from Armory or when WG converted tech tree ships to premiums.

Firmly free- to play now. CV rework made the class more fun but instead of reworking AA to be universally effective, they nerfed the class repeatedly. Subs brought in albeit very OP fashion where they can shotgun or use ping + staggered homing torps to cause unavoidable damage. Plus, they've yet to make serious effort in adding more maps and gather data to determine if there's a feasible way to use skill-based MM to make blowouts happen a bit less.

They're reluctant to acknowledge mistakes, learned weakness, but that's their problem.

• Meh 1

[WOLF3]
Members
807 posts
15,782 battles

The way the game is built its designed to incentivize cash purchases. I know this and deliberately say no. The tech trees provide all I need in variety, and why be in a rush to grind everything anyway? I did buy a few ships: the Kii and the Scharnhorst, though. My justification is that I appreciate how much fun the game has been for me and I want to throw some money their way.

Edited by Drifter_X
  • Cool 1

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
709 posts
15,035 battles

I’m the opposite. I’ve bought most new ships when they come out. I’m sure I’m. At least at the 8-10k sent on this game over the years. I even bought the premiums in the open beta. Money well spent as far as I’m concerned. I have loved this game the whole time. 

[FACT]
[FACT]
Members
140 posts
9,835 battles

I take a mid-ground between emptying my wallet and going fully F2P.

I learned my lesson after some...excessive spending in MWO. That lesson is... SET. A. BUDGET.

My budget is 20$ CAD a month (@80minutes minimum wage). Only spend $$ on discounts. Only spend Dubs on discounts. Never spend Dubs when it can be had for free(Coal, FXP, etc).

I haven't bought Premium Time since late 2020, and between a 180day (Santa?) container, the free days you can get(at least 6 a month), and the occasional 7/15/30 day container drop, I won't have to worry about premium time until Sept-Oct 2023 at the earliest.

Full F2P is fine, but if you can afford it, set a reasonable budget.

(I let it build up, and I spread the cost of PT over the purchase period (360 days at 60$(50% off), = 5$ a month))

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

... I've learned to be exceedingly frugal ...

Interesting.  It sounds like you've had some great experiences.  What do you mean by exceedingly frugal?  I knew a guy that was so frugal he put bricks in his toilets to reduce water content.  He wouldn't flush unless #2. And he would go to the grocery store and get samples from the sample people and go back around a few times for more.  There's frugal, and there's that guy, lol.  

I appreciate the differing and thoughtful replies, it's very interesting.

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
13 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I started as a F2P.  At some point, it just made sense to purchase PT using gift cards from Birthdays, Father's day and Xmas....  I started in Randoms and realized just how bad that mode is and reverted to PVE and have stayed there since.  Premium ships were bought (Coal and Steel and Research points) or won.  I never envisioned being one or the other.....   Now, if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't have played as a F2P and would have simply purchased what I needed and ignored the TT with the exceptions of those ships from the TT I prefer to use....

but how would you know which TT ships you'd prefer if you hadn't grinded to get them?  So you wish you'd spent more?

[HOP4S]
Members
6,993 posts
35,404 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

but how would you know which TT ships you'd prefer if you hadn't grinded to get them?  So you wish you'd spent more?

That's simple:  I know what I like and can read and watch videos !  And, here we are, 300+ ships of which I use less than 10% of.... 

No, not spent more   -  ground less;  and,  trusted my instincts...

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
12 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I first became aware of WoWS from youtube videos ... but was disinclined to download it because I was just too busy. Eventually life changed and I decided to give it a shot. But from the very first I had no intention whatsoever in ever spending a cent for a number of reasons:

1. If I am to spend money I need to get something of value in return, and nothing that WoWS charges for strikes me of sufficient value.

2. I don't approve of the management and development of the game. I'm not going to reward a company which I believe is doing it wrong. I've had a low opinion of WG (as was) since I bailed on WoT many years ago, and their actions since I started playing WoWS has confirmed that opinion.

I'm not impatient ... I am quite willing to grind for what I want. Once I got my hands on the Salem I was overjoyed as it suits my preferred play style better than any other ship I've tried ... and I got my Salem for coal.

Some people might say that the game needs whales, and I agree that it does. But the game also needs all the F2P players it can get or the whales won't have anyone to shoot at, so I consider that a fair exchange.

Very interesting take.  I've been similar with respect to WoT.  I can also understand why your feeling that way about management, and agree there are some great TT ships.  But don't you think you are rewarding them significantly by just playing a lot?

You don't see any value at all in perhaps PT or say, Molotov or Aigle for under $20 or Perth, Blyskawica, Leningrad?  

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

That's simple:  I know what I like and can read and watch videos !  And, here we are, 300+ ships of which I use less than 10% of.... 

No, not spent more   -  ground less;  and,  trusted my instincts...

OK, got it.  Are there premiums you really want but refuse to buy, or you're just content with what you have period?

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
9 hours ago, clammboy said:

From the very first time I played this game I realized I really enjoyed it . I always loved naval warfare and history but was not a big video game player till I saw this game advertised as free to play . 
I Don’t have fancy cars or clothes but blessed to make a good living . So I work hard and choose to spend some money on a game that for 6 years has brought me countless hours of fun and relaxation .

Although every thing is not perfect I still love the game love my collection of ships and still enjoy logging in after a hard days work .For me it’s been money well spent and to this day I still look forward to coming home from work with a six pack a pizza sitting down and playing Wows . 

Love this. :Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
1,524 posts
7 hours ago, palestreamer said:

I have won all my premium ships in containers. I find the free tech tree ships lots of fun so I don't bother with premiums. I spend $25 about 3 times per year to get the special with the month of free premium and 2500 doubloons, and can get through most of the year as premium just on that because they give away lots of free premium. In a year and a half of playing I have spent at most $150, which seems pretty reasonable for such a fun game.

How many premiums have you won?