You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TKirkman

Paint Jobs

21 comments in this topic

[CNTRN]
Beta Testers
11 posts
4,344 battles

Since Wargamers have made paint jobs totally worthless, why are they still charging an ungodly amount for them.  Granted, I'm not sure what navy the devs used as models for their ships, but US ships are not the rust buckets represented here.  The modeling of the ships exceeds outstanding, but if their navy is as rusted as they represent the ships in World of Warships, I would be embarrassed.  If you're going to charge us for the paint jobs, make them worth the price, not just something to cover lousy maintenance.

Rustbucket.png

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[_STD_]
Members
193 posts
2,814 battles
2 minutes ago, TKirkman said:

Since Wargamers have made paint jobs totally worthless, why are they still charging an ungodly amount for them.  Granted, I'm not sure what navy the devs used as models for their ships, but US ships are not the rust buckets represented here.  The modeling of the ships exceeds outstanding, but if their navy is as rusted as they represent the ships in World of Warships, I would be embarrassed.  If you're going to charge us for the paint jobs, make them worth the price, not just something to cover lousy maintenance.

Rustbucket.png

This is exactly what Navy ships look like on deployments.  Ships are painted in the shipyard during overhauls or touched up for corrosion prevention.  Quickie paint jobs are done usually at the last port of call prior to returning to homeport after a deployment so it looks good for the families. out at sea, this is what you get, streaky rust stains.

• Cool 2

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles

During peacetime, when not at sea/training, Sailors were cleaning, scrapping, and painting. The ships would look immaculate.

But the sea is a cruel and harsh environment.

Ships that leave port in tip top shape don't always return as such. More so if they spend many months on the front lines in fleet service or convoy duty.

I think the picture below of Iowa going into drydock after having a prop shaft issue says it all in regards to what a ship would look like after being at sea for sometime.

Spoiler

Reuben James is lost while on Iceland convoy duty - UPI Archives

Battleship USS Iowa entering floating dry-dock 1944 | Flickr

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,538 posts

100 dubs for perm or use a mod and get all of em painted for free  :Smile-_tongue:

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,913 posts
8,973 battles
56 minutes ago, TKirkman said:

If you're going to charge us for the paint jobs, make them worth the price, not just something to cover lousy maintenance.

You need to pay for premium battlepass if you expect WG to maintain your ship paint. 

• Haha 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
5 hours ago, TKirkman said:

if their navy is as rusted as they represent the ships in World of Warships, I would be embarrassed. 

Things rust at sea. If a ship can spend half its time in a dry dock where it can be stripped and re-painted then it's going to look pretty. If it is undergoing constant deployments then it tends to get rusty. Of course, there are budget limitations, material shortages, and low bid materials and manufacturing that contribute to the problem too.

USS Gravely (commissioned 2010), in 2019.

1565130734508-png.187006 

Screen+Shot+2019-08-05+at+9.37.54+PM.png

DDG1000-Zumwalt-Rust.jpg?quality=70&auto

[CNTRN]
Beta Testers
11 posts
4,344 battles

OK.  Ships rust at sea after being out on deployment.  But my ships are just leaving port, not returning to it.  Now, back to what the post is actually about.  World of Warships now worthless paint jobs.  They used to have a purpose and were something that was fun to earn and beneficial to use.  I remember them costing about 8K but never offered much concealment overall, 4% as I recall, but then they got jacked up to the ungodly amount of 22.5K for nothing other than make it so it wasn't worth using any more.  Now even that minor perk is gone.  Sure, I can spend 45K for a can of plain white paint for my DD for one lousy round.  Not worth it.  They need to simply put in the simple razzle dazzle paints and let us use them as we see fit.  You may enjoy sailing around in a rust bucket, or spending 1000 times more on a paint job than it's worth, but with the fantastic amount of detail the staff have put into these ships, I would really rather sail in them while they look respectable as well.  Give me a little more incentive not to get them burnt to a crisp and filled with holes.  And I'm sure, as it usually happens, the fish will like a pretty looking man made reef as well.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
15 minutes ago, TKirkman said:

OK.  Ships rust at sea after being out on deployment.  But my ships are just leaving port, not returning to it. 

You can always select "more camo" for a container option. Or, you can just play the game. I just sold hundreds and hundreds of camos. Now, I've already got about 50 more. I don't know where they came from, probably missions or some such as I always chose "more coal." Permacamos are only a few doubloons. I could get one for 200 doubloons for my Montana were I so inclined. I make about that much in a month of playing the game.  However, since camos don't do anything, why bother?

• Cool 1

[BIM-5]
Members
167 posts
7,287 battles

WG just needs to make a clean grey camo as an option for ships, like the one that comes with Forest Sherman, and put it in the "Expendable" category of camos which costs 22k credits per game.

d.thumb.jpg.ccd666bc50c027208159128698201d1c.jpg

The Hunter camo which is in the 'Expendable' category which you can see below on the Groningen is the closest you can get to having a clean grey camo. There should be more options like the Hunter camo.

e.thumb.jpg.b0f03911c41dcb2d7d75e0061b3903da.jpg

@Snargfargle I grew up in San Diego, California and have seen a LOT of navy ships in San Diego harbor and NEVER once saw a spec of rust on any of them. So the fact that you see rust on navy ships today has more to do with the state of the USN today.

Edited by maxirater
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
6,101 posts
17,230 battles

Everyone pointing out that ships at sea rust are conveniently ignoring the fact that premium ships (and ships with certain permanent camos) are comparatively rust-free. :cap_yes:

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles

You can get some cleaned up skins in Graphical modification, or skin your own ships with Gimp.

When I was on the Voge FF-1047 ( the ship in my picture in the corner) we slowed down or came to a stop off shore before we entered port ( even over seas) and and went over the side and cleaned up the rust with ospho rust remover and some paint where needed. Even polished all the brass and swabbed the decks. 

The sweet little old lady who ran the snack bar at the destroyer docks said the Voge was the best looking ship of the whole base. It looked better than some of the ships sitting in port for three months, when it came off a 6 month deployment.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
3 hours ago, maxirater said:

I grew up in San Diego, California and have seen a LOT of navy ships in San Diego harbor and NEVER once saw a spec of rust on any of them. So the fact that you see rust on navy ships today has more to do with the state of the USN today.

That's probably partly because they were in a US harbor and not in the middle of the Baltic after back-to-back six-month deployments. The Navy spends $3 billion dollars a year fighting rust. However, it's difficult to do if there are too few ships, and too few sailors to man them. It tends to go in cycles. Some administrations support the military and some do not.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
9 minutes ago, rustydawg said:

When I was on the Voge FF-1047 we cleaned up the rust with ospho rust remover and some paint where needed. Even polished all the brass and swabbed the decks.

Well, we would expect nothing less from a ship named Vogue.

be4c8762adc5ecdb7a7830817ecb84ab.jpg

[BIM-5]
Members
167 posts
7,287 battles
15 minutes ago, rustydawg said:

You can get some cleaned up skins in Graphical modification, or skin your own ships with Gimp.

That would be cool, would you happen to have any info on how to do that?

[_STD_]
Members
193 posts
2,814 battles
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Things rust at sea. If a ship can spend half its time in a dry dock where it can be stripped and re-painted then it's going to look pretty. If it is undergoing constant deployments then it tends to get rusty. Of course, there are budget limitations, material shortages, and low bid materials and manufacturing that contribute to the problem too.

USS Gravely (commissioned 2010), in 2019.

1565130734508-png.187006 

Screen+Shot+2019-08-05+at+9.37.54+PM.png

DDG1000-Zumwalt-Rust.jpg?quality=70&auto

Thanks for posting the pics! (Why didn't I think of that).  This is exactly what the "real" Navy looks like.  I retired in 2004 but continued to work on ships through 2011.  During that time and actually starting around 2000, the navy started contracting out their maintenance and upkeep.  They actually had corrosion control teams of civilian workers that came on board and did the job that sailors once did.  heck, they didn't even change their own light bulbs by the time I stopped working on ships in 2011.  Personally I think it's a big mistake and is resulting in a serious case of cranial rectal inversion, AKA Headuptheassitus.  The increased number of collisions at sea and the embarrassing loss of the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), are prime examples to back up my case.  It's hard to maintain your ship when you are standing watchstander liberty duty days and rely on others to do your work.  Ok, jumping off the soapbox now.  I just have strong feelings about the state of our military...

• Cool 1

[_STD_]
Members
193 posts
2,814 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Everyone pointing out that ships at sea rust are conventionally ignoring the fact that premium ships (and ships with certain permanent camos) are comparatively rust-free. :cap_yes:

Not ignoring the obvious.  Of course WG wants you to buy product from them.  Most people want their stuff to look good.  The way stock ships are represented are not far off from reality is all I'm saying.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
11 minutes ago, Bogart1943 said:

I retired in 2004 but continued to work on ships through 2011.  During that time and actually starting around 2000, the navy started contracting out their maintenance and upkeep.  They actually had corrosion control teams of civilian workers that came on board and did the job that sailors once did.

I've never served on a ship but I have spent a lot of time in salt water scuba diving. Even gear that's supposed to be "rust proof" will eventually rust in salt water if you don't take care if it. After a 30-minute dive we'd spend an hour de-salting and cleaning our equipment.

[RSDWG]
Members
657 posts
14,936 battles
On 11/13/2022 at 9:03 AM, maxirater said:

That would be cool, would you happen to have any info on how to do that?

Just google search for tutorials on how to make your own skins in the World of Warships with Gimp. And in the website itself.  Check out 'Announcements and Discussions' in 'Player Modifications' they should have the skinning tutorial buried in there somewhere.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:00 AM, Snargfargle said:

Well, we would expect nothing less from a ship named Vogue.

be4c8762adc5ecdb7a7830817ecb84ab.jpg

It's not pronounced like the magazine above. The ship is named after Richard Voge a high ranking Navy officer in the Submarine command in WW2. The E was said as a capital E. Phonics would be vogey  like bogey 

Check this out: http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/06021047.htm

Here's a old submarine weekly serial from the 1950's they mention Capt Voge through out the program. Capt Voge was on the staff of Commander, Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet, as operations and combat intelligence officer.

Here's the program; 

Edited by rustydawg

[TDRB]
Members
7,358 posts
16,186 battles
On 11/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

During peacetime, when not at sea/training, Sailors were cleaning, scrapping, and painting. The ships would look immaculate.

But the sea is a cruel and harsh environment.

Ships that leave port in tip top shape don't always return as such. More so if they spend many months on the front lines in fleet service or convoy duty.

Keeping the crews busy was also a reason for all the painting. Painting not only protected against the elements it also kept the crew busy. An Essex class CV had about 2600 men. An Iowa class battleship had about the same in WW2. Maintaining discipline was a major concern.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Keeping the crews busy was also a reason for all the painting.

That's one thing I liked about being a medic is that we had an actual job to do and never needed any assigned make work. I heard that in the Navy if you fail your "A" school then you are essentially going to be a "swab jockey" until the Navy decides that you can go to another school. You wouldn't think that they would have someone like a nuclear technician chipping paint, unless it was in a secure area where only they had access.

[DJC]
Members
40 posts
4,482 battles

For cleaner/realistic paint schemes, I can highly recommend the work of Albrecht Brandi -> [0.11.10] Simply Grey Paint + Historical camouflage v.1 - Graphical Modifications - World of Warships official forum

All camos become monotone schemes, whilst many ships get realistic camo schemes that actual ships of the class wore IRL, via the default spots, lines, and tiles camos in-game.