Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Battle Pass impressions

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

283
[PHD]
Members
493 posts
20,383 battles

Into the 2nd week of Battle Pass and I find it to be very doable in Co-op. I get all six of the daily missions done and by doing that I easily fulfill the weekly missions. I should finish the 50 stages in a total of three and a half weeks. It is not that hard to do. I like it and is better than the old system.

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,862
[WOLFC]
Members
6,102 posts
17,241 battles

For those that play a good amount of games daily, the BP is an overall improvement. It offers more flexibility to get the most valuable rewards (steel), whereas before you had to complete the daily mission change every day to get the rewards. For players that play sporadically, only a few games/days a week, I can understand their frustration with the new system.

My biggest takeaway from the introduction of the Battle Pass is that WG is looking for another source of stable revenue. If I was a betting man, I’d say that sales of Premium Time are down, in no small part due to the amount of it that is handed out like candy nowadays combined with the tendency of savvy players to simply purchase a year’s worth at a 50% discount at New Years. It’s also possible that the disclosure of the odds for containers (which WG should be given credit for) has had a significant negative impact on their sales.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[_STD_]
Members
193 posts
2,814 battles
18 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Level 54, one more and I unlock Kiriko.

Crap, I'm only on level 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,024
[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
37 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s also possible that the disclosure of the odds for containers (which WG should be given credit for) has had a significant negative impact on their sales.

IMO the thing which really had an impact is that containers with permacamos in them (Halloween, Distant Voyages) don't attach the economic bonuses any more the way they used to. That has MASSIVELY decreased the value of those containers.

But if you're right, what it means is that I was correct and publishing the odds was the wrong thing to do. The people who wanted those odds should have been told to go pound sand.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,966
[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,341 posts
9,621 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The people who wanted those odds should have been told to go pound sand.

Those people were, if I recall correctly, government regulators.  Telling such people to go pound sand doesn't usually end well for a company.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,862
[WOLFC]
Members
6,102 posts
17,241 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But if you're right, what it means is that I was correct and publishing the odds was the wrong thing to do. The people who wanted those odds should have been told to go pound sand.

Not at all. Disclosing the odds for the containers was the responsible, and correct, thing to do, and whether WG did it as a result of pressure from their customer base, out of fear of government regulation, or out of the goodness of their hearts is irrelevant.

What WG did was allow their customers to make more informed purchasing decisions, which is never a bad thing for the consumer. If the disclosure of those odds resulted in fewer sales, the onus is on WG to make those purchases more attractive or find alternative sources of revenue, which is what the BP appears to be. Such subscription-like content with clearly defined, guaranteed rewards/benefits is a much more consumer-friendly and healthier (in regards to the game’s long term health) way to generate revenue than lootboxes with completely opaque drop chances.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
564
[SHAN]
Beta Testers
926 posts

The battle pass is not for a casual like me.

it is back end loaded and that means play way too many games in Co Op everyday. 

I clear either 3 or four of the daily missions each day, that is all I can tolerate.

I cleared 4 of the weekly missions for the 1st week and that seems to be what I am going to do for the second week as well.

The battle pass is not for the casual.

Hopefully WG will add the battle pass ships to the  armory or next years Christmas Containers.

 

Cirran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,713
[HOP4S]
Members
7,002 posts
35,454 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IMO the thing which really had an impact is that containers with permacamos in them (Halloween, Distant Voyages) don't attach the economic bonuses any more the way they used to. That has MASSIVELY decreased the value of those containers.

But if you're right, what it means is that I was correct and publishing the odds was the wrong thing to do. The people who wanted those odds should have been told to go pound sand.

Boy, this is one of those threads you and I are headed in opposite directions.....  They had no choice I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,159
[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles
33 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Not at all. Disclosing the odds for the containers was the responsible, and correct, thing to do, and whether WG did it as a result of pressure from their customer base, out of fear of government regulation, or out of the goodness of their hearts is irrelevant.

What WG did was allow their customers to make more informed purchasing decisions, which is never a bad thing for the consumer. If the disclosure of those odds resulted in fewer sales, the onus is on WG to make those purchases more attractive or find alternative sources of revenue, which is what the BP appears to be. Such subscription-like content with clearly defined, guaranteed rewards/benefits is a much more consumer-friendly and healthier (in regards to the game’s long term health) way to generate revenue than lootboxes with completely opaque drop chances.

I agree.  Not that I buy the damn things, but it is much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,862
[WOLFC]
Members
6,102 posts
17,241 battles
13 minutes ago, Cirran said:

Hopefully WG will add the battle pass ships to the  armory or next years Christmas Containers.

I would be shocked if a premium ship is commonly used as a reward in the future. Tokachi’s inclusion in this patch’s BP (which is also five weeks long vs. the more common four) is likely intended to drum up hype for the feature and cast it in a positive light (and there’s nothing wrong with that). I suspect future Battle Passes will have more mundane rewards, with the inclusion of premium ships in the BP maybe replacing the free premiums that have been offered alongside tech tree releases in the past (London, Mikoyan, etc).

Edited by Nevermore135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,403
[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IMO the thing which really had an impact is that containers with permacamos in them (Halloween, Distant Voyages) don't attach the economic bonuses any more the way they used to. That has MASSIVELY decreased the value of those containers.

But if you're right, what it means is that I was correct and publishing the odds was the wrong thing to do. The people who wanted those odds should have been told to go pound sand.

I've never paid for the Halloween or Distant Voyages containers.  As much as I like perma camos, I do NOT like the Halloween monster camos and wouldn't spend good money on them.  

And I also agree that not linking the camo skins to the economic benefits GREATLY reduced the value of those containers.  And by "linking" I don't mean in the old way of doing things.  I mean that selling perma camos without the related economic benefits is just plain offensive, unless the price is dropped greatly, since the real value in a perma camo is its economic benefits.

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324
[WOLF5]
Members
2,443 posts
17,255 battles
10 hours ago, WM1957 said:

Into the 2nd week of Battle Pass and I find it to be very doable in Co-op. I get all six of the daily missions done and by doing that I easily fulfill the weekly missions. I should finish the 50 stages in a total of three and a half weeks. It is not that hard to do. I like it and is better than the old system.

I am finding this to be the case too. Another factor is the change to Standard Time effectively giving me another hour in the morning to play prior to starting work. Consequently I can complete the full daily requirement and allowing me to progress effectively.

(Hope to see you in battle again soon...) 

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,024
[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
10 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Those people were, if I recall correctly, government regulators.  Telling such people to go pound sand doesn't usually end well for a company.

Those people should never have been allowed into positions of power, in my opinion, but now we're getting into things which, while directly related to the structure of the game, can't be discussed.

I was more talking about the people who asked for such regulation. Unfortunately, they found kindred spirits in the regulators.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,145
[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles

For myself, I think that publishing the odds (regarding loot-crates & etc.) is preferable.  

As for the Battle Pass?  I paid 2,500 doubloons and am feeling that is is a similar, if not the same, feeling to that of a dockyard grind.
The "quantity" of "work/play" may not be the same, but I feel the "principle" is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,773
[CO-OP]
Members
3,737 posts
37,503 battles
2 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

change to Standard Time effectively giving me another hour in the morning

This is actually a large factor in my completing the weeklies well ahead of time.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,472
[BGA]
Alpha Tester
4,050 posts
32,995 battles

I was really hoping that the battle pass would let us get through other missions faster by removing the time constraints. For example, when you finish the first week's Japanese Cruiser missions and have to wait to start the next weeks for no reason other than to keep you playing. I generally dont play if there is nothing to achieve. I'm not sure whats wrong with me but I like the grinds, they give me focus and a reason to play, however playing the game to just play the game . . . well it isnt that fun anymore.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
339 posts
15,155 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Those people should never have been allowed into positions of power, in my opinion, but now we're getting into things which, while directly related to the structure of the game, can't be discussed.

I was more talking about the people who asked for such regulation. Unfortunately, they found kindred spirits in the regulators.

As I recall, there was a whole 'thing' about the Santa crates a couple years ago and ppl spending gobs of money to the point where it was perceived as gambling with no restraint for the player base by WG.  The CCs of the time made videos of how these Santa crates were popping and it was pretty clear ppl were trying for certain prizes for practically no hope of getting them.  I have no problem with the odds disclosure because like a prior OP mentioned, it gives the player more information to make an informed buying decision.  Regulators are a necessary evil in any industry to keep profit making companies "in line" so they don't become predators on the consumer regardless of what country they're located in.  I support WG for understanding what their game had become and adjusted as necessary in response to the market forces that were brought to bear against them.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,024
[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
47 minutes ago, Mustang2209 said:

and it was pretty clear ppl were trying for certain prizes for practically no hope of getting them.

This is a gross misrepresentation of the situation, and you know it. If anything, they had unrealistic expectations because all they ever saw, year after year, was CCs opening container after container and getting rare ship after rare ship, but those odds were skewed because the CCs were already being given all the common stuff as part of their contracts, what the CCs weren't being given they were buying with doubloons that were also part of their contracts, and the rare ships were the only things left to drop (assuming they hadn't been around long enough to get those ships too, before they were banned).

They were seeing what happened to people who were resource-rich and/or had been in the game from the start, and were expecting more of the same themselves. This discussion happens every year; if you are that desperate to get banned ships by whaling Santa crates, you have to be willing to spend to the point where all other ship options are locked out.

If you've been in the game for years, this isn't a problem. If you're new, you need to spend a lot in a very short time. Either that or take the sane option and be happy with whatever you get from what you can afford to spend. 

The big problem here is the blind, blinkered lust for ships on the banned list and the fury with which some people react at receiving anything less. I know of quite a few people who, had they stood in my shoes, would have called 95% of what I pulled in last year's mega-whaling exercise garbage because nineteen out of those 20 ships weren't on the forbidden list and many of them didn't meet Little White Mouse's seal (squeak?) of approval. 

 

  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,296
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles
5 minutes ago, STILLDRE1976 said:

Just be doing normal co-op games with a few ops daily getting there

 

World of Warships Screenshot 2022.11.13 - 20.38.12.34.png

That's like my routine.

I start off with several Co-Op games that easily knock out the lower BaseXP missions.  There's no BaseXP overflow if you complete one and the extra going into the next stage, so starting off with Ops at the beginning of the session isn't efficient.  Unless you're doing Ops all day, then that's fine.

 

Then for the 1000 or 1100 BaseXP mission, I switch to Operations.  If you had a good game then you should easily knock out subsequent stages with 1 Ops win.  If it didn't, then switching to Co-Op for one quick win will finalize that stage.  Then back to Ops again.  Etc.

 

Regardless, if you do something like the above, or just play all day in whatever mode (and win for Ops, can't forget the win requirement), if you play a lot, you should easily complete the stuff.  This is fine for me now because I'm playing the game a fair lot ATM.  But there are times where I hardly play.  If I'm not playing a lot then the free Battle Pass is fine, paying would be a waste.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[AN2AC]
Members
393 posts
12,312 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The big problem here is the blind, blinkered lust for ships on the banned list and the fury with which some people react at receiving anything less.

i think it is a simple equation.

If you have 100% of the current "Premium" ships in port already, you will pick up as many of the rare ships you wish, depending on the ship % drop. Anything less than 100% will of course give you mostly normal premiums and a few rare ones.

I did a big crate buy in 2017 and by the end of 2018 had 95%+ of the premiums. Got all of the rare ships except Kamikaze R.  Received Fuijin and kamikaze so stopped there.

I wouldnt want to try and do that now, so, so many premiums in the last few years.

Edited by Otago_F111
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
200
[V1-PI]
Members
502 posts
18,289 battles
11 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

i think it is a simple equation.

If you have 100% of the current "Premium" ships in port already, you will pick up as many of the rare ships you wish, depending on the ship % drop. Anything less than 100% will of course give you mostly normal premiums and a few rear ones.

I did a big crate buy in 2017 and by the end of 2018 had 95%+ of the premiums. Got all of the rare ships except Kamikaze R.  Received Fuijin and kamikaze so stopped there.

I wouldnt want to try and do that now, so, so many premiums in the last few years.

and so many releases this year have been garbage... 

easy to avoid, no way Ill buy the mostly underpowered pieces of trash botes released this year.

regards

JM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[AN2AC]
Members
393 posts
12,312 battles
Just now, SerahKhan said:

and so many releases this year have been garbage... 

easy to avoid, no way Ill buy the mostly underpowered pieces of trash botes released this year.

regards

JM

probably only bought 2 or 3 premiums since 2019 and no intentions of anymore at this stage either.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×