You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Monitor replacement time Flat or curved?

27 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
7,358 posts
16,186 battles

I'm 70 years old and never had a curved monitor. I was thinking I may try one.

I'm looking at something in the 32" class at 2560 x1440 and over 144 Hz refresh rate.

At this time I have a 32" flat screen 2560 x1440 with a 60 Hz refresh rate.

The gpu will be an RX 6700 XT to a 6800.

Pros?

Cons?

Or is it just personal taste?

Thanks for your opinions.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

I use a Samsung curved.   Because I spend a lot of time on the computer, and I'm heading the wrong way of 65 and wear glasses, my optician recommended a curved screen for me because it's close to me on my desk and the curve stops your eyes having to refocus for different distances between the edge and the centre.

Having said that, I would try and see if you can find a supplier and sit in front of it at the same distance it will be for you to see whether it works for you..  They can take a bit of getting used to :)

G

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Some like curved monitors and some don't. My suggestion would be to go to the electronics department of a local store and see if they have examples that you can physically view.

Personally, I got the optometrist to examine my eyes at the distance I measured from my eyes to my computer monitor and make me a dedicated pair of computer glasses so that everything's in sharp focus. I think that might not work with a curved screen.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

Another thing to keep in mind is that flat 32" panels tend to be IPS where curved ones tend to be VA. IPS panels tend to have richer colors but VA tends to have deeper blacks. IPS panels with higher refresh rate tend to be more expensive than VA ones with high refresh rate, so if you're looking at a high refreshrate one you are going to find more choice in VA panels than IPS. @MaliceA4Thought brings up a good point that your eyes will spend less time refocusing when moving from the center to the edge and back again. But I also recommend you go to a brick-and-mortar store and see for yourself.

I personally have a curved Samsung Odyssey G5, 32" 1440p 144hz VA panel and am quite satisfied with it. Was quite affordable too.

samsung-odyssey-g5-c32g53tqwr-32-wqhd-va

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles
Is a projector good as monitor?
Projectors provide the largest picture for the best price. Monitors have a wider range of features than projectors. Projectors and monitors can both be used for gaming. The term monitor often refers to LED and OLED TVs along with PC monitors. There are some good projectors for gaming.

Hook up to a TV. You might even have one laying around.

The best gaming projectors for big screen gaming

Updated: Nov 6, 2022 1:11 am

Posted: Oct 22, 2022 6:03 am

Gaming monitors and 4K TVs are great and all, offering an easy way to get the latest features on a capable display, but they certainly lack the major wow factor of a gaming projector: size. Going for a gaming projector will let you easily opt to play your games with a picture over 100 inches. And, while gaming projectors do have come at a cost that’s comparable to a lot of TVs for gaming, you’ll almost always be able to get a bigger picture from the projector than from a TV at the same price.

Best of all, recent projectors aren’t falling short on gaming features. You’ll find a good few that can deliver fast refresh rates and low input lag, letting you enjoy smooth and responsive gaming. We’ve rounded up an assortment of projectors that are ready to give you the biggest screen for gaming you’ve ever used, whether you plan to play on a console or gaming PC and at 1080p or 4K – and click here to find them in the UK.

TL;DR – These are the Best Gaming Projectors:

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles

I haven't looked into the topic, but I kinda want a monitor.  I've been using a TV for years so it's limited to 60 fps.  On a whole, it's fine, but maybe having a higher FPS would make aiming a little easier.

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles
6 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

I haven't looked into the topic, but I kinda want a monitor.  I've been using a TV for years so it's limited to 60 fps.  On a whole, it's fine, but maybe having a higher FPS would make aiming a little easier.

What TV has the best fps?
Best gaming TVs
  1. LG OLED48CX. The best TV for gaming. Specifications. ...
  2. LG OLED65E9PUA. The best big-screen 4K gaming TV you can buy. ...
  3. Samsung Q9F. Best gaming TV with superb 4K and HDR. ...
  4. Hisense 55H8G. Best budget 4K gaming TV. ...
  5. Sony A8H OLED. Best mid-range 4K TV for gaming. ...
  6. TCL 55R617 Roku TV. The best budget 4K TV you can buy.

Is a 120 fps TV worth it?
Although 120Hz refresh rates on most midrange and high-end TVs work well, don't expect to see any real performance improvement from refresh rates of 240Hz and above. These higher-than-most-content refresh rates have rapidly diminishing returns, and you aren't likely to see much of a benefit unless you're an avid gamer.Aug 29, 2022

Can humans see 240 FPS?
Most experts have a tough time agreeing on an exact number, but the conclusion is that most humans can see at a rate of 30 to 60 frames per second. There are two schools of thought on visual perception. One is absolute that the human eye cannot process visual data any faster than 60 frames per second.Mar 2, 2021
Edited by Sovereigndawg

[-AGW-]
Members
754 posts
47,317 battles

I recently had my 28" Samsung (non-curve) go bad with PS.

I went and got a curved LC32R500FHN for under $300 Cdn

Video Card is 2 years old nVidia RTX 2060 SUPER with 8GB of DDR5 VRAM

Yes, max resolution is only 1,920 x 1,080 but my old (71) eyes thanked me right way!

image.thumb.png.89c8fc4431a2b0c51b2e4956eb3c6044.png

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,358 posts
16,186 battles
4 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

I remember getting my 1st monitor for the Commodore 64 so I didn't have to use the TV. It was a 15" CRT color monitor that cost about $250.

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles
27 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I remember getting my 1st monitor for the Commodore 64 so I didn't have to use the TV. It was a 15" CRT color monitor that cost about $250. 

I bought a black matrix monitor for my 64 and I hooked a VCR to it for TV

• Cool 1

Members
494 posts
11,482 battles

After I switched to a curved monitor for work/gaming my eyestrain headaches have stopped. Can’t give you a better recommendation than that! 

• Cool 1

[GT99]
Members
999 posts
17,281 battles
1 hour ago, Ahskance said:

Def makes it much smoother which is a nice benefit.

[ENDO]
Members
353 posts
8,272 battles

I got one of those 34" Alienware curved monitors. I really like it. The ultra wide is great. I was sceptical but I'm not going back to flat monitors. Especially games like star citizen look phenomenal. 

Edited by MBRicochet

[GOB]
Members
4,406 posts
24,191 battles

I have a very highly rated 32" 144 HZ 2K Curved Monitor in my array for gaming.

I was over the " Curved " Gimmick about 4 weeks after getting it.

Just my .02

[GOB]
Members
4,406 posts
24,191 battles
3 hours ago, Ahskance said:

Go 144hz at least.. 2K if you can. 

4k is overkill for these games.

If your Card can push it you will never ever go back to 60HZ

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,538 posts

greybeard with reading glasses set to arm's length as that's where monitor is ;p

but no eyestrain from my flat 32 1440 144 VA panel,  for a driving/flying sim yeah maybe curved but this close nope ...

[WOLF5]
1,538 posts
4 hours ago, Ahskance said:

try Monitors: Reviews - RTINGS.com

[BTLST]
Members
995 posts
15,817 battles

I have an upper-grade ASUS 27" 2-year-old monitor and it does a great job for me often hitting over 100 fps on my Cox upgraded internet.   At the time I looked at curved displays and saw no benefit to justify the then-higher price.     Perhaps I'll revisit that decision when I need a new monitor.    I'm on that computer around 7 hours a day playing or recruiting in WoWs, some times even longer.   Often I can't sleep so get up after 45 minutes to an hour or two in bed and get back on my computers and stay on them until after 10:00 pm the next night.   I have an Apple iMax 27" sitting on my gaming desk alongside the gaming screen.   I only use he gaming PC for gaming and do everything else on my Apple as it is so much simpler for this old man to use than a PC.   I also have a new iPad Pro 11" with the M2 Chip that I'm learning how to use and really like it.   Not to bad for an 81 year old  fellow!

• Cool 3

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
18 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I'm 70 years old and never had a curved monitor. I was thinking I may try one.

I'm looking at something in the 32" class at 2560 x1440 and over 144 Hz refresh rate.

At this time I have a 32" flat screen 2560 x1440 with a 60 Hz refresh rate.

The gpu will be an RX 6700 XT to a 6800.

Pros?

Cons?

Or is it just personal taste?

Thanks for your opinions.

I don't know for sure, and maybe someone can correct me, but I would think that a curved monitor might throw off your aim depending on how close to it you are.

• Funny 1

[FACT]
[FACT]
Members
140 posts
9,839 battles

One thing to consider is the curve of the monitor, typically listed as "R1500" or similar. The lower the "R", the tighter the curve.

I definitely second the recommendation of actually eyeballing one or more of the potentials. Another thing to consider is that while curved might be fine for gaming, is it any good for anything else you might use your computer for?

I sit about 30"/75cm from my 32" flat (4k) monitor and don't have any issue with seeing the whole screen. However, I am also a couple of decades younger than you. 

Edited by darqsyde242
formatting

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

Lot's of good replies suggesting going to a store to see one in person.  I'd add this piece of advice,  If you find seeing the product in person to be of value to you, do the right thing and buy the product from that store. 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Beta Testers
139 posts
10,248 battles

Agree that there is lots of good advice here, especially getting in front of your options in a store, or at least one curved monitor, before you buy.

My experience: I've edited photos and videos on computers since it was possible so lots of experience with multi-display set-ups, tv-type monitors and flat screens.

In the past couple of years I've switched to curved. My body upgrades include grey hair and reading glasses. :Smile_facepalm:

I've found that the curved monitors do not cause me any more eye strain than flat but your experience may be different. I do suggest that if you have the room and budget you get the monitor arms that are adjustable with springs and such so you can minimize the strain and optimize desk space and comfort. 

I really don't think WOWS demands more than 60 FPS or HD 1920x1080 resolution so my advice is not to blow your budget chasing higher specs on GPU/monitor. Again, you might disagree. I have a pretty high power system for the video editing and animation work I do so I can run higher but tests did not seem to justify it for me. In fact I use the preferences file to hard limit game FPS to 60, and in port even lower. 

I've used Asus and Samsung monitors and currently happy with Samsung. 

Hope this is helpful!

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
8,389 posts
29,459 battles

Right now Walmart has an LG 32GN600 monitor (31.5")  flat screen  165hz 2560 x 1440 UltraGear  on sale for $200.

Not selling at my store, so could be easy find near you.