You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Viper101

30% coupon... What do?

14 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Members
493 posts
4,004 battles

Hiya everyone, 

It's been a while since I've played WoWs, and came back to a pleasant surprise: Two 30% off coupons. I bought 180 days of premium with one of them, but now I'm unsure what to use the second one on Doubloons or a pixel boat. 

I checked out Florida and Hyuga; both seem fun and not too pricey. Price isn't exactly a concern for me (Perks of graduating and working a full-time job, I suppose!), but I do want to be responsible. I am partial to mid-tiers (6-8) because I remember high tiers being a lot. Definitely don't want to run into those like a chicken with its head cut off...

So what are fun ships out there now between tier 6 and 8? And if doubloons are my best bet, what do you think I should use them on? 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles

Welcome back.  :-)

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,730 posts
37,470 battles

get some doubloons and use them on the Battle Pass, 30% discount on that for a few months.

• Cool 1

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles

Regardless, definitely get doubloons. Then stack them with whatever discounts you can get in game for bigger savings. Doubloon ship coupon in the armory, dockyard ships, BF or Santa crates… If it were me, I’d have gotten doubloons rather than buying premium directly and then waited until next month to get the 50% off a year, but that’s in the past now. 

As for ships, it depends what you want. If you’re looking for a HE spamming cruiser, I’m definitely partial to Mainz (t8 German light cruiser, lots of higher ROF guns that still pen well because if the German 1/4 pen). Florida’s nice too if you want a fast American battleship, smaller guns but still reasonably accurate.

Eugen and Atago are also great t8 cruisers, and maybe Kii or Tirpitz for battleships. If you want something lower than t8, Scharnhorst/PEF for battleships. I’m partial to Molotov for a t6 cruiser, but it’s definitely a glass cannon. Abruzzi at t7 is pretty fun too.

If you want a carrier, Kaga is pretty forgiving while still being strong if you know what you’re doing. Bearn is good for anti-CV stuff (strong fighter squadrons). 

For destroyers, I’d say Aigle at t6 (but get it with coal not doubloons imo). Cossack/Loyang/Terrible for t8 (either now, or wait until Black Friday to get Cossack/Loyang B). Not a big fan of the t7 options, but my top choice would be Leningrad I guess.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

Keep in mind mid-tiers have gotten infested with multiple subs per match. Between that and CVs there's lot of being shot at without being able to retaliate.

• Cool 2

[PNGYN]
Members
493 posts
4,004 battles
8 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Regardless, definitely get doubloons. Then stack them with whatever discounts you can get in game for bigger savings. Doubloon ship coupon in the armory, dockyard ships, BF or Santa crates… If it were me, I’d have gotten doubloons rather than buying premium directly and then waited until next month to get the 50% off a year, but that’s in the past now. 

Gah, you're so right. I didn't even think about that (don't make financial decisions after midnight, kids!). 

But doubloon stacking seems the best option. And welcome since I only have 250 of them rn lol. 

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles
21 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

Gah, you're so right. I didn't even think about that (don't make financial decisions after midnight, kids!). 

But doubloon stacking seems the best option. And welcome since I only have 250 of them rn lol. 

That’s why I always recommend doubloons.

If you’re going to spend money (and especially if you’re going to use a coupon), always buy doubloons unless the specific thing you want is only available in the cash shop. Then stack it with an in-game discount for maximum savings. Wait for sales, use your coupons, and stack your discounts.

WG’s free to set their prices as high or low as they want, and we’re free to coupon clip our way to the highest possible savings we can get.

• Cool 2

[ERK]
Members
958 posts
14,975 battles
2 hours ago, Viper101 said:

Hiya everyone, 

It's been a while since I've played WoWs, and came back to a pleasant surprise: Two 30% off coupons. I bought 180 days of premium with one of them, but now I'm unsure what to use the second one on Doubloons or a pixel boat. 

I checked out Florida and Hyuga; both seem fun and not too pricey. Price isn't exactly a concern for me (Perks of graduating and working a full-time job, I suppose!), but I do want to be responsible. I am partial to mid-tiers (6-8) because I remember high tiers being a lot. Definitely don't want to run into those like a chicken with its head cut off...

So what are fun ships out there now between tier 6 and 8? And if doubloons are my best bet, what do you think I should use them on? 

Buys dubs, and then if you fancy a ship use your dub ship coupon on it!

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,912 posts
8,973 battles
5 hours ago, Viper101 said:

Hiya everyone, 

Buy dubs, then use the dubs and another coupon to buy the ship. 

4 hours ago, Reymu said:

Keep in mind mid-tiers have gotten infested with multiple subs per match. Between that and CVs there's lot of being shot at without being able to retaliate.

I agree with Reymu and suggest you buy a CV. The essence of tactics in this game is to shoot at stuff while avoiding them shooting back. :cap_like: It's why island camping and long range sniping are things, only Carriers can do it so much better. 

Saipan has strong planes, but slow replenishment, so if you make a mistake it'll take longer for the planes to be available again. It's also the cheapest option. 

image.png.84ad49587dd8f4e99c0d2ed763ff09a8.png

There are a few other solid Tier VIII options in Indomitable and Hornet

image.png.74260a3028f08bb7e6274e00bcf2616d.pngimage.png.272a3a0ebfda746e1209b50a0df986d0.png

Indomitable balances high speed / high damage with the lack of a torp bomber squadron, but if you play UK CVs you'll know it's mostly a DOT boat, and you'll get reliable fires from your rockets and carpet bombs. Hornet has larger, slower squads, but no rocket planes. It also has AP bombs which are fine against cruisers and battleships, but the ship will struggle against DDs. However it does have a nice tactical bomber squadron akin to supership carriers. 

Unless you're familiar with IJN CVs I wouldn't recommend Kaga. I wouldn't recommend you spend dubs on Graf Z for my anti paper-ship bias, and I also wouldn't recommend the Bearn or Aquila unless full CV lines for these countries come out.

Happy flying. :cap_cool:

[MASS]
[MASS]
Members
57 posts
11,885 battles

Said I had a 30% coupon how do you get these every time I buy something that's not discounted like dubs I don't see it applied very frustrating.

[H0PAS]
Members
708 posts
14,933 battles
On 11/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, Efros said:

get some doubloons and use them on the Battle Pass, 30% discount on that for a few months.

Yeah, doubloons as they are more universal for stuff. That's what I bought after my 2.5 year long break from all gaming.

[F4E]
Members
452 posts
15,460 battles

I used my 30% anniversary coupon to buy Kidd.  
Your choice should be informed by what class of ship and play-style you prefer.  
Personally, I would also recommend that your use it to buy a ship that is only available for dubs….you can get coal and steel by playing the game….