Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Is the in-port armor model the actual target the game is shooting at?

10 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles

I was looking at the (lack-of) armor model on my Canarias and noted several items/areas that were not shown with any armor or even plating. Made me wonder if this was the actual simplified digital target the game was using. Meaning shells would just pass thru areas that do not show minimal plating (13mm) without registering as hits.

In Canarias case (and several other ships I checked),  the gun directors are not shown with any armor/plating which would lower the target profile a bit.

I also notice the few ships I checked that  the secondaries don't actually show as being armored although their barbettes may be on some ships.  And I know those can be hit.

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

Yes, for the most part. For example, gun barrels don't have collision when being shot at, nor do some lifeboats above-decks. I believe secondaries and AA guns have individual HP rather than plating and have a calculation done to determine whether they are knocked out. Hits onto the main plating are the only thing that can damage the ship, but components can be damaged by the splash damage from the hit.

Edit: caveat - if a component like a secondary or AA gun is destroyed and is shot again, the ship takes damage. I know this applies always for hitting the main guns to prevent 0-damage pens, but I don't remember how AA gun hits that are not true pens count.

Edited by Compassghost
  • Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
2 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Yes, for the most part. For example, gun barrels don't have collision when being shot at, nor do some lifeboats above-decks

Still seems strange the gun directors are not counted. On some DDs that might be the only thing on the ship that was armored.

Admittedly, in game those directors have no effect on gun accuracy so no need to keep them as a target point.

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Admittedly, in game those directors have no effect on gun accuracy so no need to keep them as a target point.

But they have an effect on range, if you look in the equipment tab.

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
Just now, black_hull4 said:

But they have an effect on range, if you look in the equipment tab.

Theoretically, but in game gun range is usually a WG whim/balancing feature. I think it is supposed to determine how far you can see but even there WG has strayed away from any hard formulas they may have once used.

For example, why do the Italian DDs get such lousy gun ranges? Their gun directors are as high or higher than other nations DDs that shoot farther.

The totally unseaworthy T5 Okhotnik has NO gun director and is almost a raft but can shoot its 130mm to 9.2 km. T9 Adriatico has a gun director mounted on top of its superstructure and can only squeeze 9.5k out of its 135mm guns.

It is all at the whim of WG.

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

The totally unseaworthy T5 Okhotnik has NO gun director and is almost a raft but can shoot its 130mm to 9.2 km.

TBF that one was never built so its real gun range cannot be disproven.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

Generally speaking the in-port armor models are also used in game. Some ships have hidden internal armor plates that aren't seen in the armor viewer but this is the exception rather than the rule and even then, they're internal. Things like gun barrels, fire directors etc don't have collision models. Nor do the gun barrel holes in the turret mantlets.

[ARR0W]
Members
6,146 posts
32,898 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I was looking at the (lack-of) armor model on my Canarias and noted several items/areas that were not shown with any armor or even plating. Made me wonder if this was the actual simplified digital target the game was using. Meaning shells would just pass thru areas that do not show minimal plating (13mm) without registering as hits.

In Canarias case (and several other ships I checked),  the gun directors are not shown with any armor/plating which would lower the target profile a bit.

I also notice the few ships I checked that  the secondaries don't actually show as being armored although their barbettes may be on some ships.  And I know those can be hit.

5 hours ago, Compassghost said:

Yes, for the most part. For example, gun barrels don't have collision when being shot at, nor do some lifeboats above-decks. I believe secondaries and AA guns have individual HP rather than plating and have a calculation done to determine whether they are knocked out. Hits onto the main plating are the only thing that can damage the ship, but components can be damaged by the splash damage from the hit.

Edit: caveat - if a component like a secondary or AA gun is destroyed and is shot again, the ship takes damage. I know this applies always for hitting the main guns to prevent 0-damage pens, but I don't remember how AA gun hits that are not true pens count.

2 hours ago, Lert said:

Generally speaking the in-port armor models are also used in game. Some ships have hidden internal armor plates that aren't seen in the armor viewer but this is the exception rather than the rule and even then, they're internal. Things like gun barrels, fire directors etc don't have collision models. Nor do the gun barrel holes in the turret mantlets.

Some modules have their own HP pool. For a better modeling of armor that shows the hidden internal plating and more detail, you need to look at the https://gamemodels3d.com/games/worldofwarships/ site. 

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
4 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

TBF that one was never built so its real gun range cannot be disproven.

True, it is Russian so always get the benefit of the doubt. The lack of a gun director should give it horrible dispersion. But it is Russian so....

If it were ever built it would have had half its crew washed overboard or even sunk in its first storm and would be a meme for how not to build a ship.

[AK]
Beta Testers
532 posts
11,316 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

If it were ever built it would have had half its crew washed overboard or even sunk in its first storm and would be a meme for how not to build a ship.

Hey, it is very hard to dodge all of those Japanese torpedo boats in the North Atlantic while staying on your ship.

Sign in to follow this