You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StormclawtheCat

Believable Acoustic Torpedoes

6 comments in this topic

[S-A-C]
Members
2 posts
483 battles

As is the acoustic torpedoes in the game are not at all historically accurate or very realistic as far as I'm aware. Contrary to what so many players seem to believe, there is documentation of real acoustic torpedoes used by German U-Boats in WWII. Since most things in the game are historical and/or believable, or at least meant to be, it only feels right if WG wants homing torpedoes that they are implemented in at least a somewhat believable way.

I suggest implementing more realistic or believable acoustic torpedoes, and using the current water surface sonar effect for whenever a sub launches torpedoes and/or acoustic torpedoes to keep some way of detecting where subs are.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,724 posts
26,569 battles

Explain to me why torpedoes of all unrealistic things deserve adjusting over the rest, according to you. Or do you just want subs nerfed?

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
40 minutes ago, StormclawtheCat said:

it only feels right if WG wants homing torpedoes that they are implemented in at least a somewhat believable way.

I suggest implementing more realistic or believable acoustic torpedoes,

If those torpedoes were implemented, what's to stop them from homing in on your teammates or you? That's why we have the ping system.

[S-A-C]
Members
2 posts
483 battles

Not targeting the sub who launched it: Acoustic torpedoes do not detect sound the full 360 degrees around itself. This is specifically so the torpedo doesn't target the ship that launched it or even itself. The torpedoes instead listen in a 60ish degree cone in front of it.

As far as teammates:   1: Subs would need to be more careful?    2: Likely possible to implement that it will not target allied ships?   3: Use sonar ping to select what ship(s) you want it to be able to detect, but not have the ping be the reason they home in? (less believable but if that needs to be addressed)   4: Any other suggestions?

Yes I get it, it's a game, not a 100% accurate physics simulation, which frankly some people seem to forget, but for the most part it feels like a ww1-ww2 era naval battle, and seeing sonar pings and torpedoes that seem more like they're laser guided kind of breaks that older naval battle feel.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,190 posts
15,767 battles

The real problem with subs is they had to become like modern hunter-killer subs and the torpedoes are wire guided to even work in the game.

• Thanks 1

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
22 hours ago, StormclawtheCat said:

3: Use sonar ping to select what ship(s) you want it to be able to detect, but not have the ping be the reason they home in? (less believable but if that needs to be addressed)

Why make a separate mechanic when you can do both in one? 

The torpedoes instead listen in a 60ish degree cone in front of it.

That already diverges from reality. 

but for the most part it feels like a ww1-ww2 era naval battle, and seeing sonar pings and torpedoes that seem more like they're laser guided kind of breaks that older naval battle feel.

Some people also seem to forget that we have 50+ ships from the Cold War, + several paper ships that would have been Cold War era, and not to mention some event ships have actual lasers.