Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

IJN Light Cruiser Tech Tree

11 comments in this topic

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,157 battles

I suppose after seeing the atrocity that the development of the Pan-American light cruiser branch is appearing to be developed as, this question may be moot, but just doing a little historical research on the Japanese navy shows that there is was enough material to completely flush out the tech tree line in game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cruiser_classes_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Navy

Just curious as to why WG would not take the time to fill the line starting at T3, just like the rest of the light cruiser branches currently in-game.  If the consensus is that the game is starved for material (judging by the continuous new branch releases), why not at least try to start at T2/T3 as per the norm rather than skip to right to T5?  The IJN had enough armored cruisers to fill out tiers 2 through 4 no problem. 

While I'm sure the answer will be that "nobody plays low tiers", then that is a real shame.  I still think low tiers could be their own sub-branches of ships separate from mid/high tier in order to make them relevant again, if thought out properly.  Anyway, I suppose it just kind of bugs me when the branches aren't all flushed out like the rest.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,580 posts
17,536 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

"nobody plays low tiers"

Unfortunately, that’s likely a big reason. There’s little incentive to play anything below t5 (not counting t4 carriers) and even a disincentive since t4 down don’t count for missions, so people don’t play them much. As a result, there’s less interest from WG to put resources into developing lower tier stuff, so there’s less for players to play for. And then repeat in a never ending cycle.

The only two times recently (or “recently”) that I can recall a large surge in interest for low tier play was during the original Christmas flakes where t2-4 premiums got rewards, and then the start of the five epochs campaign that required low tier play. So five and two years ago. 

And then add all the early access stuff on top of that. Even if WG put the effort into modeling lower tier ships, most players won’t ever have a need to play them. Look at the last several rounds of early access — KM battlecruisers start at t3, we got up to the t6 (or was it the t7?) for free; British battlecruisers, started at t3, we got the t7; Italian DDs start at t2, we got up to the t6 or t7. If you want lines that started a bit higher — Italian battleships started at t4 (not 3), we got the t7; Pan Asian cruisers started at t5, we got the t7. And for the players that don’t do the early access, most now just free xp up to the t5 anyway, since nothing lower would count for missions.

If I had to guess, the reason we got t3 and 4 battlecruisers for the UK and KM lines is because those ships were the actual historical ships. If it were a paper line, that might have been another line starting higher.

Either way, this isn’t a new line, but rather a split. And most of the splits (with the exception of the two battlecruiser lines) don’t start at t2/3. The US split starts at t6, the UK cruiser split at t5. The IJN DDs at t5 too (and less successfully, IMO). Russian and French cruisers started at t8, and the German DDs at t7.

[WPORT]
Members
20,802 posts
22,691 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

While I'm sure the answer will be that "nobody plays low tiers", then that is a real shame. 

When the criteria to earn a "star" is compatible, I strive to play my low-tier ships during Naval Battles participation.
It gives them a purpose beyond grinding the next ship in a line of ships (in addition to low-tier ships being fun to play).

[WOLFC]
Members
6,105 posts
17,255 battles
5 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Just curious as to why WG would not take the time to fill the line starting at T3, just like the rest of the light cruiser branches currently in-game.  If the consensus is that the game is starved for material (judging by the continuous new branch releases), why not at least try to start at T2/T3 as per the norm rather than skip to right to T5?  The IJN had enough armored cruisers to fill out tiers 2 through 4 no problem. 

Armored cruisers were usually armed with small numbers of comparatively large main battery guns (8-10”) in addition to formidable secondary batteries. Later Japanese armored cruisers were armed with 12” guns, and were actually reclassified as battlecruisers in the early 1910s. In many ways they were essentially light battleships in their time, so it’s no surprise they aren’t included in WoWs as low-tier cruisers. At best they would fill out the low tiers of a full CB line, or a dedicated IJN CC line in the case of the later IJN armored cruisers, but both are unlikely to happen.

In regards to protected cruisers, which are well-represented in WoWs at low tiers, the last class of protected cruiser commissioned by the IJN is already represented in WoWs: tier II cruiser Chikuma.

One of the unrepresented Nagara- and Sendai-class light cruisers that preceded the Agano-class could have been implemented as an alternate tier IV cruiser. However, these classes were minor evolutions of the preceding Kuma-class, and would play very similarly, so I understand why WG avoided implementing either. As it stands, starting the new IJN CL branch at tier V makes a lot of sense, and I can’t really fault WG for that particular decision.

The fundamental problem with this IJN CL light is that it exists at all. This design choice is extremely puzzling, especially considering WG is intending to introduce a hybrid tech tree line (US BBs) in the near future. An IJN cruiser split featuring hybrid cruisers would have made a lot more sense, been more historically inspired, as well as added a more unique player experience. Instead we got this completely uninspired and aimless line of CLs.

Edited by Nevermore135

[SALVO]
Members
16,506 posts
10,225 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm sure the answer will be that "nobody plays low tiers",

The thing is nobody plays low tiers because WG wants nobody playing low tiers, makes you wonder why the heck then low tiers exist if they currently fulfill no purpose, to the point they are voided even by the Devs themselves. 

[NWNG]
Members
3,945 posts
6,144 battles
47 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The thing is nobody plays low tiers because WG wants nobody playing low tiers, makes you wonder why the heck then low tiers exist if they currently fulfill no purpose, to the point they are voided even by the Devs themselves. 

Yet they claimed they wanted people playing low tiers when Research Beuaru(sp?) came out, and people just FXPed their way through that mess anyway.

[TAZ]
Members
1,116 posts

The current tech tree contains 2 CLs (Tenryu and Kuma) in the CA tree.  Moving these 2 vessels to the CL tree would make sense, but it will leave a hole in the CA tree since Furutaka is the first IJN CA. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,506 posts
10,225 battles
13 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

The current tech tree contains 2 CLs (Tenryu and Kuma) in the CA tree.  Moving these 2 vessels to the CL tree would make sense, but it will leave a hole in the CA tree since Furutaka is the first IJN CA. 

Wouldn't be cool to have Armored Cruisers to fill that gap?

Members
629 posts
17,195 battles

I've got the T5 and T6 from this release, had the Anshan for a few years.  Also have the Pan Asian light cruisers up to Chumpion.    

Not impressed by the new IJN light cruisers.   Yeah, the torps are good, but that is kinda situational.  Most of the time they are just....poor.

[BONKY]
Members
2,285 posts
26,872 battles

They probably started at T5 because they see no one playing lower tiers. Whether or not if WG understands that the reason no one plays below T5 is because 1) you're past T2 in one game and learn nothing about the game's important mechanics. 2) T4 CVs create a toxic hellhole putting off new players, and 3) T4 and lower don't count for missions is another really good f*cking question.

Sign in to follow this