Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Karstodes

The state of the game: an essaie

14 comments in this topic

[-THG-]
Members
2,617 posts
8,006 battles

So yes, I decided to take some of my time to tell how I feel the game evolved and where it is going. I am by no means a great player, nor a streamer (tho, may be selling feet pics on internet could increase my income but whatever) but I feel like I would put my grain of salt here.

Disclaimer, this is my opinion. It holds not legal value, no monetary value and most likely no value whatsoever. So you have been warned. With that said, let's jump straight in (hope to not get copyrighted for that quote).

First, how it evolved. Overall, I feel like the current state of the game lost some of it's original shine for various reasons. One of the first element that changed and became more prevalent are consumable. It started by being either weak (original speed boost) or mostly universal (smoke screen for DD) to become more and more like spell in an RPG. The Akizuki and the French cruisers were the first to bring it, and now it is so universally present that when you see a ship without zombie heal, French speed boost, Torpedo Reload Booster or Main battery reload booster it's almost a novelty. And now, Super Ships bring a new layer of that, which will start to trickle down on normal ships, as we see with the PANAM cruisers. Is it a bad thing tho? Some of it yes, but over all it do bring some flavor, even if it makes the game more and more like some arcade RPG where the wizard cast ''Torpedo haste'' to do one more attack per round.

The next element are the superships. They are, to be fair, something that shouldn't be in the game in my opinion. Tier 10 was perfectly fine as the pinnacle of design, and these tier 11 tends to make match stall while also making tier 9 MM hellish (especially since tier 9 is the limbo of most line). I understand why it was done: credit sink that player can use to get a positive MM and better stats. But still, they do not bring much to the game and I hope to not see CB go at tier 11 any time soon.

Subs are a questionable addition to the game. WG tried to push a square in a circle here, and the result is a pineapple pizza: a profanity that can still be tasty. I cannot tell for subs game play, but the surface ships interaction is mostly bland. Outside of the ''just dodge'' mechanism, it boils down to either flee from the area or launch bombs from airplanes at the minimap. The one class that could have better interaction, DD, tends to not be able to hunt the subs in most case: not only you have to run after them, thus going out of position and most likely under enemy fire, but the Subs do have quite a high torpedo shotgun capacity, making it a high risk low reward situation for the DD. At least, the DD are affecting mostly one flank and one or 2 ships for the game, thus their impact is limited.

The CV rework is still questionable. Sure, the old RTS was flawed, but some minor tweaks (strafing, manual drop) would have make it more balance and welcoming for green players. Now, the current system babysit quite heavily CV (ultra mega DCP, no more deck fire issues, best ASW of the game, almost immune to CV snipe, deplaning being harder...) while also making AA interaction overall more imbalance than before. Sure, an RTS cv player was able to dev strike a tirpitz easily, but a good AA boats was able to be immune to CV almost, until it suffer some AA mount destroyed from HE. Now, against a good CV players, even the best AA ships will not stop an attack. Worst still, more and more CV use consumable planes, making the ''shot down planes flag'' even more irrelevant.

Lastly, the UU change was, in my opinion, not great. Before, it was a reward for playing a lot the appropriate ship. Now, it's lock in the Research Bureau, which is in itself an other credit/ free exp sink.

And for the future... Is it me or WG is rushing to launch new line like never before? We have what, Japanese CL in early access, American hybrid, Panam cruiser, British subs and Soviet subs announced/ in testing? That is quite a lot, and the latest Panam announcement screamed rushed. It kinda seems likes quality is being taken over by quantity, and it is not something that is good for the long term. Many players already pointed out that more than new line, new game mode, map, campaign would be needed. But I guess that the sweet money from the early access mechanism is too tempting.

Overall, the game is not dying and still retain a lot of playability, albeit I kind feel like WG is walking down a way that scream ''milking the cow until it dead''. Not sure if the current way will make the game last that long but let's see.

Edited by Karstodes
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,427 posts
10,183 battles

Nice reading, thanks for sharing

38 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

One of the first element that changed and became more prevalent are consumable.

I think it was kinda inevitable in the long run, you just need to inject new mechanics to keep things fresh. Some are ridiculous and hard to digest, but most of the time I'm willing to roll with them.

40 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

The next element are the superships.

I share the feeling, for me Superships are a hateful feature, but I feel it was just a way to "turn back the clock" to the initial vision of what T10 was supposed to accomplish and was not doing anymore due to the economic changes that made T10 too accessible and popular. The only reason that make them bearable for me is that their concept was right there since the beginning... it was just sabotaged by the Devs themselves but are now restoring the "balance". I very much had preferred they "rescued" lower tiers instead and reworked the economy, but it is more likely players called foul in that case.

46 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

Subs are a questionable addition to the game. WG tried to push a square in a circle here, and the result is a pineapple pizza: a profanity that can still be tasty.

:Smile_teethhappy:... love this one!

46 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

The CV rework is still questionable.

I don't like the rework because it was a lost chance to make CV play more interesting and deep. It was an over simplification of gameplay and for such reason it was probably the best course of action given the playerbase we have. 

49 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

And for the future... Is it me or WG is rushing to launch new line like never before? We have what, Japanese CL in early access, American hybrid, Panam cruiser, British subs and Soviet subs announced/ in testing? That is quite a lot, and the latest Panam announcement screamed rushed. It kinda seems likes quality is being taken over by quantity, and it is not something that is good for the long term. Many players already pointed out that more than new line, new game mode, map, campaign would be needed. But I guess that the sweet money from the early access mechanism is too tempting.

:cap_like: have a thumbs up. 

[-THG-]
Members
2,617 posts
8,006 battles
3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't like the rework because it was a lost chance to make CV play more interesting and deep. It was an over simplification of gameplay and for such reason it was probably the best course of action given the playerbase we have

Pretty much. The RTS issue was mostly that the learning curve was quite insane, making new player struggle to enjoy it while making skill difference having a major impact on the game. But the way that RTS CV made you feel like Zhuge Liang facing Sima Yi in some mind game was quite fun, and ships build for AA was fearsome for even the best CV player. Now, it's mostly a mini game of flakman where you need to dodge flak and lead properly. It ends up being even less  enjoyable for the ships in most case, while being more boring for the CV player. The only thing it succeed was to make CV more popular, albeit I wonder if cutting half of the line had more to do with it.

• Cool 1

[SOUS]
Members
767 posts
6,589 battles

As a result of terrible decisions made by WG, the game is in a terrible state. As a result, there are always new bugs or bugs they won't fix, and every patch isn't exciting. During the last patch, the number of people who played it on the day of release, was low because there was nothing to look forward to.

• Thanks 1

[-THG-]
Members
2,617 posts
8,006 battles
5 minutes ago, Itsj_p said:

As a result of terrible decisions made by WG, the game is in a terrible state. As a result, there are always new bugs or bugs they won't fix, and every patch isn't exciting. During the last patch, the number of people who played it on the day of release, was low because there was nothing to look forward to.

well, most patches are around new lines, and they are kinda running out of popular line. The British battlecruiser were probably one of the last big hitter out there, and the next one are some what meh:

-Japanese CL? Do not seem to be that good, and they miss the opportunity of an hybrid cruiser line for Japan here.

-US hybrid? Nobody asked for that, and it is not even remotely base on actual naval strategy.

-PanAm Cruiser? They manage to launch a line dodging the actual PanAm cruisers.

-Subs? You change the torpedo colors basically. Nothing to write home about.

Even the event are lack luster: Halloween was like, the 4th times of the same old?

[ARR0W]
Members
6,145 posts
32,879 battles
3 hours ago, Karstodes said:

So yes, I decided to take some of my time to tell how I feel the game evolved and where it is going. I am by no means a great player, nor a streamer (tho, may be selling feet pics on internet could increase my income but whatever) but I feel like I would put my grain of salt here.

Disclaimer, this is my opinion. It holds not legal value, no monetary value and most likely no value whatsoever. So you have been warned. With that said, let's jump straight in (hope to not get copyrighted for that quote).

First, how it evolved. Overall, I feel like the current state of the game lost some of it's original shine for various reasons. One of the first element that changed and became more prevalent are consumable. It started by being either weak (original speed boost) or mostly universal (smoke screen for DD) to become more and more like spell in an RPG. The Akizuki and the French cruisers were the first to bring it, and now it is so universally present that when you see a ship without zombie heal, French speed boost, Torpedo Reload Booster or Main battery reload booster it's almost a novelty. And now, Super Ships bring a new layer of that, which will start to trickle down on normal ships, as we see with the PANAM cruisers. Is it a bad thing tho? Some of it yes, but over all it do bring some flavor, even if it makes the game more and more like some arcade RPG where the wizard cast ''Torpedo haste'' to do one more attack per round.

The next element are the superships. They are, to be fair, something that shouldn't be in the game in my opinion. Tier 10 was perfectly fine as the pinnacle of design, and these tier 11 tends to make match stall while also making tier 9 MM hellish (especially since tier 9 is the limbo of most line). I understand why it was done: credit sink that player can use to get a positive MM and better stats. But still, they do not bring much to the game and I hope to not see CB go at tier 11 any time soon.

Subs are a questionable addition to the game. WG tried to push a square in a circle here, and the result is a pineapple pizza: a profanity that can still be tasty. I cannot tell for subs game play, but the surface ships interaction is mostly bland. Outside of the ''just dodge'' mechanism, it boils down to either flee from the area or launch bombs from airplanes at the minimap. The one class that could have better interaction, DD, tends to not be able to hunt the subs in most case: not only you have to run after them, thus going out of position and most likely under enemy fire, but the Subs do have quite a high torpedo shotgun capacity, making it a high risk low reward situation for the DD. At least, the DD are affecting mostly one flank and one or 2 ships for the game, thus their impact is limited.

The CV rework is still questionable. Sure, the old RTS was flawed, but some minor tweaks (strafing, manual drop) would have make it more balance and welcoming for green players. Now, the current system babysit quite heavily CV (ultra mega DCP, no more deck fire issues, best ASW of the game, almost immune to CV snipe, deplaning being harder...) while also making AA interaction overall more imbalance than before. Sure, an RTS cv player was able to dev strike a tirpitz easily, but a good AA boats was able to be immune to CV almost, until it suffer some AA mount destroyed from HE. Now, against a good CV players, even the best AA ships will not stop an attack. Worst still, more and more CV use consumable planes, making the ''shot down planes flag'' even more irrelevant.

Lastly, the UU change was, in my opinion, not great. Before, it was a reward for playing a lot the appropriate ship. Now, it's lock in the Research Bureau, which is in itself an other credit/ free exp sink.

Overall, the game is not dying and still retain a lot of playability, albeit I kind feel like WG is walking down a way that scream ''milking the cow until it dead''. Not sure if the current way will make the game last that long but let's see.

Making classes "more welcoming for green players" has reached its nadir with the removal of submarine proximity spotting and the Automated ASW™ for CVs. 

I agree that the fix for RTS carriers was removal of strafe and tweaking manual drops instead of the multiyear mess of a Rework they finally just gave up on and declared OK. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
4,279 posts
9,133 battles
3 hours ago, Karstodes said:

Pretty much. The RTS issue was mostly that the learning curve was quite insane, making new player struggle to enjoy it while making skill difference having a major impact on the game. But the way that RTS CV made you feel like Zhuge Liang facing Sima Yi in some mind game was quite fun, and ships build for AA was fearsome for even the best CV player. Now, it's mostly a mini game of flakman where you need to dodge flak and lead properly. It ends up being even less  enjoyable for the ships in most case, while being more boring for the CV player. The only thing it succeed was to make CV more popular, albeit I wonder if cutting half of the line had more to do with it.

The worst thing with RTS was how the UI was so bad, and got worse over time (response, etc). Instead of fixing that, WG just scrapped the whole thing. Well, there was another issue with it, but that wasn't RTS CVs' faults:

The playerbase.

Members
3,349 posts
3,059 battles
On 11/10/2022 at 8:11 AM, Karstodes said:

(tho, may be selling feet pics on internet could increase my income but whatever)

I find it hard to believe that you would only publish feet pics. Thursdays must be interesting for any Sororitas around. -our Emperor, probably

On 11/10/2022 at 8:11 AM, Karstodes said:

let's jump straight in

That's what Kitten's girlfriend said.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, Karstodes said:

-US hybrid? Nobody asked for that, and it is not even remotely base on actual naval strategy.

True, but I am going grind American BBs to the Eye of Terror and back when those come out. I want all three! They look so chunky...

-PanAm Cruiser? They manage to launch a line dodging the actual PanAm cruisers

Agreed. I would argue the PanAsian cruisers (a line which is STILL unfinished) even more so.

Halloween was like, the 4th times of the same old?

And I didn't even get to play it this time around. It was also shorter than most. No Intanian port. And no Polygon mode!

[WOLFX]
Members
809 posts
1,713 battles

Seeing you have stated it is an essay, do you want it marked for grammar, sentence construction and paragraphing? We could start with the title! :-)

• Haha 1

[WOLFX]
Members
809 posts
1,713 battles
4 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

No Intanian port.

Which port and game mode is that?

Or is it a science fiction theme mode?

• Haha 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,676 posts
22,621 battles
28 minutes ago, cammaj said:
4 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

No Intanian port.

Which port and game mode is that?

Or is it a science fiction theme mode?

I wonder if it is related to this camouflage?

image_2022-11-11_225846799.thumb.png.ccc9728af5ec5d2393fa4636bd4d2050.png

Members
1,644 posts
46 minutes ago, cammaj said:

Seeing you have stated it is an essay, do you want it marked for grammar, sentence construction and paragraphing? We could start with the title! :-)

Let's be realistic. I wouldn't expect the majority of this game's player-base to be college-educated, let alone the fact that many college graduates still suck at writing in English.

Members
3,349 posts
3,059 battles
43 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yes. @cammaj Intania is the capital city of this game's version of Transylvania.

So, uhhhh... WG skipped a full grind of a German DD line for me, what do I  do now? I never played that high. : r/WorldOfWarships

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,676 posts
22,621 battles
8 hours ago, black_hull4 said:
9 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Yes. @cammaj Intania is the capital city of this game's version of Transylvania.

So, uhhhh... WG skipped a full grind of a German DD line for me, what do I  do now? I never played that high. : r/WorldOfWarships

Thanks.
I looked for it in-game, last night.
But, I'm thinking it is a seasonal or temporary port available for timed events, such as Halloween.  Yes/no?

Sign in to follow this