You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Unsporting Conduct...Come On WG!

27 comments in this topic

[MISRY]
Members
1,382 posts

I too have finally been bit by WG's heavy handed approach when we get DC'd. I live in FL and dealing with this little tropical storm right now. Lost power for a minute. I was able to log back into battle once everything reset. I was sunk at this point but I did log back into the battle. Since I did get back into the battle, I should be entitled to get my XP, credits, whatever. It's not like I ditched and went to another battle. This should be a simple programming thing. 

WG...YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!  The world isn't perfect. Things happen. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,534 battles
37 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I too have finally been bit by WG's heavy handed approach when we get DC'd. I live in FL and dealing with this little tropical storm right now. Lost power for a minute. I was able to log back into battle once everything reset. I was sunk at this point but I did log back into the battle. Since I did get back into the battle, I should be entitled to get my XP, credits, whatever. It's not like I ditched and went to another battle. This should be a simple programming thing. 

Well…”the world isn’t perfect.” Zero XP happens, too.

• Cool 1

Members
6,886 posts
14,864 battles

It is fine - there is no negative results unless it happens a LOT.  Not anything to worry or be upset about.  But keep ion the back of the mind - (in your case) - I am going to play during the outer bands of a tropical storm and should I leave my team down guns and or spotting at random times?  If you do decide to play - accept any consequences for leaving the team down a ship, ELSE - don't play when the chances of an issue is significantly higher then normal.  Just use a bit of common sense.

• Cool 4

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,787 posts
20,722 battles
2 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I live in FL and dealing with this little tropical storm right now. Lost power for a minute. I was able to log back into battle once everything reset.

56 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

But keep ion the back of the mind - (in your case) - I am going to play during the outer bands of a tropical storm and should I leave my team down guns and or spotting at random times?  If you do decide to play - accept any consequences for leaving the team down a ship, ELSE - don't play when the chances of an issue is significantly higher then normal.  Just use a bit of common sense.

As a fellow Floridian who has spent weeks working on clean-up from Ian:  suck it up buttercup.

I didn't play at all for several days post Ian, not because I lost power, but my Internet wasn't 100%. I couldn't watch a stream without it buffering every 20 seconds. Rather then trying to play a game where my connection may effect my gameplay or the teams, I did something else. I only started playing again after my connection became more stable.

It's f-ing Florida. We have T-storms, Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, Lightning strikes, all sorts of things that can affect the power and internet. As Cylonred says, keep that in mind before you start playing.

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
704 posts
15,016 battles

I mean, it’s credits and Xp from one match. Since you DCed you weren’t going to make much anyways. I’d rack it up to the price we have to pay to have some retort against AFKers. 

[GT99]
Members
999 posts
17,281 battles

It happens, suck it up and move on. I had a game where last night where I didn't get the XP and credits and I was still alive in-game. I thought somebody got into my other house next door and had to go check it out in the middle of the game, was AFK too long, and paid for it.

[BONKY]
[BONKY]
Members
809 posts
19,766 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

move to a new state 

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,787 posts
20,722 battles
56 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Rodney Dangerfield Tough Crowd GIFs | Tenor

I have lived in Florida for 17 years. I've been through 3 Hurricanes (Wilma, Irma, Ian) and several Tropical storms.

In that time I have invested in Surge Protectors and battery back-ups. While not experiencing a lighting strike, I have seen the results. Power-outages, brown outs, we all have experienced those. Having those happen multiple times while here, I have become a pro at resetting alarms  clocks the the VCR clock. :Smile_Default:

I have not been knocked offline from a power outage since getting the computer and modem on the UPS. That battery back-up provides enough time to finish the battle and then exit the game and shut-down the computer with no problems.

It's not really being a 'Tough Crowd', its learning from prior experience.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I have not been knocked offline from a power outage since getting the computer and modem on the UPS.

We have what is called "dirty" power out here. I don't have my entire system on battery backup but I do have my modem and router on one. It's cheaper than buying a unit capable of supplying everything. A good 1200 W UPS is around $400 but a 600 W unit is only $75.

Just backing up my modem and router keeps me online about 90% of the time when the lights dim as they do every time the AC turns on or when the wind is blowing too hard. My computer's PSU can compensate for a second of power dip but the modem and router will immediately reboot at the slightest hint of one. If the power goes out long enough to turn my computer off then it's usually going to stay out, so rejoining a game is the least of my worries. If I were doing something "mission critical" with my computer I'd definitely have a full UPS backup system but since all I do is post online, watch videos, and play games with it I really don't need one.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,787 posts
20,722 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

We have what is called "dirty" power out here. I don't have my entire system on battery backup but I do have my modem and router on one. It's cheaper than buying a unit capable of supplying everything. A good 1200 W UPS is around $400 but a 600 W unit is only $75.

Just backing up my modem and router keeps me online about 90% of the time when the lights dim as they do every time the AC turns on or when the wind is blowing too hard. My computer's PSU can compensate for a second of power dip but the modem and router will immediately reboot at the slightest hint of one. If the power goes out long enough to turn my computer off then it's usually going to stay out, so rejoining a game is the least of my worries. If I were doing something "mission critical" with my computer I'd definitely have a full UPS backup system but since all I do is post online, watch videos, and play games with it I really don't need one.

the UPS was purchased because of the annoyance factor.

Because of brown-outs (everyones A/C kicking on together etc) there were several instances of the power flicking several times a day. You'd just get the computer or cable box back up and running and the thing would kick off again. The computer, modem, router are all one one big UPS, and a smaller one keeps the cable box in the living room happy (every time the power goes that resets too).

• Boring 2

[TDRB]
Members
7,351 posts
16,186 battles
5 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

You won't find much sympathy in this forum. Going AFK for any reason, including life & death emergencies, is inexcusable & unforgivable according to many players.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,787 posts
20,722 battles
33 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

You won't find much sympathy in this forum. Going AFK for any reason, including life & death emergencies, is inexcusable & unforgivable according to many players.

Life or Death Emergencies happen and are part of life. And we move on.

WG has no way of knowing what is going on inside the players house. They are not 'Big Brother Watching you'. All they know is for whatever reason, you Disco'd or simply stopped entering commands on the keyboard. They have no Magic 8-Ball to tell them why someone 'went offline'. It's unfortunate, but its all WG has at the moment.

OP wasn't in a Life or Death Emergency. It did have potential for that (all Hurricanes should be treated as potentially powerful and deadly), but it wasn't.

OP decided to play online.

OP knew a Hurricane/Tropical Storm was coming his way.

OP lost power, which has been a know occurrence in both Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, even Thunder storms and blizzards have done so.

THAT is why I have no sympathy for the OP. He decided to risk playing the game during the storm, with a chance he could lose power or internet. He gambled, lost, and was penalized for it.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,103 posts
20,447 battles
18 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Life or Death Emergencies happen and are part of life. And we move on.

WG has no way of knowing what is going on inside the players house. They are not 'Big Brother Watching you'. All they know is for whatever reason, you Disco'd or simply stopped entering commands on the keyboard. They have no Magic 8-Ball to tell them why someone 'went offline'. It's unfortunate, but its all WG has at the moment.

OP wasn't in a Life or Death Emergency. It did have potential for that (all Hurricanes should be treated as potentially powerful and deadly), but it wasn't.

OP decided to play online.

OP knew a Hurricane/Tropical Storm was coming his way.

OP lost power, which has been a know occurrence in both Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, even Thunder storms and blizzards have done so.

THAT is why I have no sympathy for the OP. He decided to risk playing the game during the storm, with a chance he could lose power or internet. He gambled, lost, and was penalized for it.

This.  I had to bail on a game because I heard my wife scream.

It was a spider, but I didn't know that.  And I had to hunt it down and kill it.  (I told her to take a picture of me and my "trophy").

Took my penalty and moved on.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,933 posts
6,115 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I have lived in Florida for 17 years. I've been through 3 Hurricanes (Wilma, Irma, Ian) and several Tropical storms.

In that time I have invested in Surge Protectors and battery back-ups. While not experiencing a lighting strike, I have seen the results. Power-outages, brown outs, we all have experienced those. Having those happen multiple times while here, I have become a pro at resetting alarms  clocks the the VCR clock. :Smile_Default:

I have not been knocked offline from a power outage since getting the computer and modem on the UPS. That battery back-up provides enough time to finish the battle and then exit the game and shut-down the computer with no problems.

It's not really being a 'Tough Crowd', its learning from prior experience.

^this 100% I don't have the same devistation as Florida (and I consider myself lucky), but I do experience bad weather from time to time, that knocks out my power. Something about tornadoes or something, I dunno. I just know, when bad weather hits, don't expect to do much with video games that require online functionality.

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts

it's likely a pr mistake on weegee's part

those who don't experience this won't notice any difference to before, meanwhile weegee is peeing ppl off with these alerts...  one does not balance out the other....

• Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
18 minutes ago, SKurj said:

it's likely a pr mistake on weegee's part

those who don't experience this won't notice any difference to before, meanwhile weegee is peeing ppl off with these alerts...  one does not balance out the other....

Something's wonky with the new "penalty" system for sure. After over year of seeing almost no pink players I'm now seeing them all the time.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Something's wonky with the new "penalty" system for sure. After over year of seeing almost no pink players I'm now seeing them all the time.

and i bet you aren't noticing any improvement in your matches or teammates either.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
Just now, SKurj said:

and i bet you aren't noticing any improvement in your matches or teammates either.

Most of the pink players haven't a clue as to why they are pink either. At least in the old days you knew good and well why you had turned pink when you sank an allied ship.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,351 posts
16,186 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

THAT is why I have no sympathy for the OP.

My point is the OP is looking for sympathy in the wrong place.

I illustrated my point with how cold-hearted some players act. Yes, too many act like the game is more important than saving another person's life.

Please note I used "act" because I hope people are more forgiving in real life than they are when hidden behind miles & miles of fiber-optic cable & armed with a keyboard feeling free to take out their frustrations.

Personally, I've been DCed a few times. I don't get too bent out of shape over the penalties even though I disagree with how WG handles this issue.

[MISRY]
Members
1,382 posts
28 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

My point is the OP is looking for sympathy in the wrong place.

No sympathy needed. Just pointing out a fundamental unfairness in the system. I was having a great battle until I got DC'd. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
14 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

image_2022-11-10_210107156.thumb.png.3eb9df2198f59ec4c312eeec4ea43e55.png

[TDRB]
Members
7,351 posts
16,186 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

No sympathy needed. Just pointing out a fundamental unfairness in the system. I was having a great battle until I got DC'd. 

This flaw has been noted several times. Automated systems are inherently unfair. Your teammates are a very unforgiving group. Two things we must live with.

It always happens when you deck your ship out with the top economic bonuses & you're having a good game, Murphy's Law.