You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JamesTomb

Any chance of a plating reshuffle?

16 comments in this topic

[EDEG]
Members
510 posts
14,729 battles

707g0v.jpg.f6c059486beb51678c9149512943048b.jpg

30mm overmatch used to be the exception, now it's basically the rule. WG has been handing out 18"+ guns like candy, they're basically the default on new BBs.The days of "battleship Hindenburg" are long gone. Even Zao (!) used to be moderately tanky with that 30mm deck.

Nowadays unless you bring your Stalinium armor the only way to play a cruiser is basically not to get hit; there's little practical difference between CLs and CAs in resistance to BB shells anymore. 

With all the power/caliber creep, is there any chance we'll see a rebalancing of plating or pen/overmatch values like happened a couple years back?

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,145 battles

Power creep will always be a thing.  Otherwise, how do you keep the next ships appealing to the playerbase if they aren't any stronger than the previous ones?

Unfortunately, BALANCE and FUN typically are the sacrificial lambs, which is what we now see at T9 and T10 and have for a long time now.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

On the plus side, this makes high end cruiser play feel just like mid tiers, so it makes playing high tier less attractive, it may promote more mid tier play which in turn would help improve mid tier MM.

[EDEG]
Members
510 posts
14,729 battles
5 hours ago, STILLDRE1976 said:

yep whole piont of the game OP

If you play Ohio or Kremlin or even Napoli like that you're not using the ship right.

I'm not saying cruisers should be able take sustained fire like battleships. They could never do that. But CAs used to have a degree of sustain in most situations which could be used to make aggressive plays. Heavy cruiser armor profiles haven't aged well given the massive power creep in BB gun caliber.

Members
424 posts

good piont but ships like the petro can still bow in and hold it down long enough for BB support to arrive ive found,a had a game a while which surprised me i was in the chernbourg taking a cap bow in with just slight angle  to nearest BB and it took him a good while to sink me even he commented in game chat about it lol the french line really surprised me as for showing any sides thats a death sentence for sure

• Cool 1

Members
494 posts
11,482 battles

I am/was a cruiser main. I do find myself playing them a lot less these days except for Napoli (moving smoke allows me to disengage) and Stalingrad which do marginally better against oversized rifles. My poor Hindy has been relegated to back line firestarting and I don’t find that entertaining. I do want to move up and help protect green dd’s but even if I help kill that red dd I am usually either overmatched to death or gimped the rest of the game. I have Petro but just don’t use it much as the guns are anemic against angled targets.

[CAAT]
Members
6,270 posts
8,033 battles
12 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Unfortunately, BALANCE and FUN typically are the sacrificial lambs, which is what we now see at T9 and T10 and have for a long time now.

tumblr_mhz4mb6e9f1r7kr84o1_500.gif.55d955a6dccabe34f89781e71803c842.gif

[-HUGS]
Members
973 posts
13,187 battles

They will review the stats and tell you everything is fine, that the avg performance of cruisers have not budged. And they will also not forget to mention that they are carefully monitoring the performance of their ships, of course. Maybe they will take the time to link their video explaining how they balance and monitor ship performance.

That's the only answer you're going to get, if you ever get one.

[WOLFX]
Members
814 posts
1,713 battles

It is an arms race and there is no Washington Treaty!

To keep ahead you need to buy the latest and greatest.

• Cool 1

Members
1,332 posts
8,607 battles

overmatch as a concept is bad, In world of tanks it make sense because those plates where usually small and hard to hit while in here they are pretty much half the ship.

that being said small caliber BBs are already struggling and raising the armor bar will be a big problem for them. small caliber BB guns should get either a dispersion buff or shorter fuse.

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Meh 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,539 battles
17 hours ago, mashed68 said:

Just wait for the tier 12 cruisers that are sure to come out one day. 

Won’t do any good. They’ll be met by the T12 battleships that preceded them, with a 22” and 24” gun welcoming committee.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,145 battles
10 hours ago, cammaj said:

It is an arms race and there is no Washington Treaty!

To keep ahead you need to buy the latest and greatest.

It is indeed the case.  Especially once you realize this game has a limited shelf life, it makes it easier to forego some balance and fun continued "progression".

I suppose it would be a lot different if WoWS was intended to be an indefinite gaming platform.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

It is indeed the case.  Especially once you realize this game has a limited shelf life, it makes it easier to forego some balance and fun continued "progression".

I suppose it would be a lot different if WoWS was intended to be an indefinite gaming platform.

The "Arms Race" can be kept going, and going, and going...

For example: a Plating rework where Cruiser plating gets overhauled all along to match 457mm guns, or even simpler a Rework of Overmatch mechanic, . Reset the race back to the start. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,165 posts
15,884 battles
6 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

The "Arms Race" can be kept going, and going, and going...

For example: a Plating rework where Cruiser plating gets overhauled all along to match 457mm guns, or even simpler a Rework of Overmatch mechanic, . Reset the race back to the start. 

Not to one up you, but a better option would be to rework the citadel model from it's current format of square hull boxes to isolated boxes like were presumed for the Cleveland before. That would make certain nation cruisers much more survivable by splitting up their citadel to specific corners of the ship instead of a sure hit parameter. 

• Cool 1