You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swervenkill

Battleship AP in Coop

13 comments in this topic

[CUDA]
Members
1,449 posts
13,955 battles

Most of the gameplay recommendations I see say AP is the bread and butter of battleships, but it isn’t a coop-specific recommendation and I wonder if it is valid in coop. Mainly because the target profile for most battleship shots are bow-on, HE may be a better choice as you get fewer ricochets and non-pens (BTW I’ve ricocheted rounds against destroyers, always makes me curse), plus the chance of fire. But fires don’t last long in Coop because the bots use DCP button for fires specifically (that is, they’ll not use it for engine, steering or torpedo hits but will use it when the first fire starts) and even if they stick, torpedo soup ends fires early.  This is especially bad for slow battleship lines who often don’t get close enough to the action to flank anything before the game is over.

I normally load HE at the beginning of the game, fire as often as possible and change to AP after the red bot destroyers are all dead. Just wondering what other’s thoughts are regarding coop-specific battles? What generates the most damage in the 5 minutes or so a coop game lasts?

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,936 posts

I load HE at the start, in case I encounter DD.

after that its AP all the time excepting for DD, and even then I may fire AP so the reload changes to HE.

the only time I may lean on HE is if there is fire starting\do X damage by fire mission.

even with CA and some CL I use AP mostly.

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

almost pointless using HE for fires in a BB (unless you have a really good rof), but I will often load it first for any shots at dd's and then go to ap

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,121 posts
20,520 battles

33 minutes ago, SKurj said:

almost pointless using HE for fires in a BB (unless you have a really good rof), but I will often load it first for any shots at dd's and then go to ap

Same.

I use AP almost exclusively.  HE may get more damage at bow on, but big damage and cits come from AP on broadsides.  Games don't usually last long enough for the HE DOT game to work.

There are exceptions.  If I expect to come across a DD and am in something like the Jean Bart or Bourgogne, I will load HE and be twitchy on the MBRB key.  Bots DDs don't run anti-det flags.

• Cool 1

[AM-PM]
Members
325 posts
8,626 battles

I find that it kinda' depends on the caliber of your bb guns... If you have cruisers available to target on the first salvo, you can frequently get citadels from range (if you can hit) from your bb guns if they aren't too high a caliber (which mostly causes overpens).  If you have the German secondaries, I'd generally keep it on AP and let the secondaries deal with the destroyers.

The really big caliber guns can sometimes citadel with HE.

YMMV

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,737 posts
37,503 battles

HE to start and then AP depending on the presence of DDs/CAs. If I'm in Conq I will persevere with HE especially if there are any squishy CAs as Conq HE will Cit them.

• Cool 1

[GPORT]
Members
351 posts
20,599 battles

Personally I prefer HE to strip " things " off the outer layers of a ship, then AP to finish , with a few exceptions as I can penetrate 102mm armor with HE for the Nelson.

Target DD's first, then subs / cruisers. Just wish there was a stat to list which types of ships killed per ship. Like 300 DD's , 200 cruisers, etc.....

• Cool 1

Members
2,766 posts

(About) The only BB I use in co-op is Pommern w/ Lutgens (secondaries-build). Big guns have AP and little guns spew fire-starting HE. Sometimes I never bother firing my big guns, as their shells cost money. I let the free little guns do all the work and I make decent coin for co-op. Of course, I don't use flags, either, because I'm THAT cheap!

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles

My Co-Op numbers.  I mostly play Battleships in this mode.  AP is the bread and butter, it's the money maker.  My Battleships easily do more damage on average than any of my other ship types, even the Destroyers.

sr0zugu.jpeg

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,159 posts
30,915 battles

If you have a Mega Secondaries Battleship, it's then especially important to have that AP on.  Your Secondaries will get you a small but steady flow of damage, and they will, if you're lucky, set fires anyways.  You need to supplement that with AP from your Main Battery and trying to get Citadel hits.

In addition, if you are brawling and knife fighting as a BB, and because this is Co-Op, this is exactly what every BB player should be trying, you want that AP slotted because you're soon going to be in close quarters and getting broadside shots.  Chances to get Penetration and Citadel hits with your high damage AP shells.

I also usually keep AP slotted at the beginning, especially on maps with good lines of sight and low islands / no islands.  The reason is I am constantly looking for broadside targets to Citadel as I am closing range to the ships in front of me.  Sometimes I see valid, broadside targets off to the sides at 15km, 16km, 18km away.  I'll take those shots instead of shooting shells at narrow, bow on profiles.  This is especially important if your Battleship does not have good Overmatch advantage against the threats you're seeing ahead of you.  Like, you're playing a Bismarck or some 380 / 381mm armed Battleship.  In front of you, you see BBs and High Tier USN / German Heavy Cruisers with 27mm+ bows.  Your AP isn't going to Overmatch that, you'll bounce.  So, I constantly scan around looking for broadside targets off to the sides and try to get Citadel hits from there.  By the time my Bismarck gets closer, I'll be in position for close range AP salvos into the sides of the bots, trying to get Cits there, too.

You always need to be opportunistic.

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
Members
260 posts
19,704 battles
On 11/9/2022 at 6:54 AM, Gafwmn said:

Personally I prefer HE to strip " things " off the outer layers of a ship, then AP to finish , with a few exceptions as I can penetrate 102mm armor with HE for the Nelson.

Target DD's first, then subs / cruisers. Just wish there was a stat to list which types of ships killed per ship. Like 300 DD's , 200 cruisers, etc.....

In the dark old days, I used the Nelson with the original IFHE skills.  The fire percentage was still 44% (not the current 23%) and the pen jumped to 131 mm.  It would start fires while scoring citadels on light cruisers.  It was glorious!

As to the original post, HE from BBs is only for the laughs.  Thunderer is especially fun for HE spamming, as (assuming no applied bonuses, just the base fire chances) the Thunderer can start as many fires per minute as a Smolensk.  All my other BBs take too long to switch ammo types, so they all blast AP, all of the time.

[GPORT]
Members
351 posts
20,599 battles
30 minutes ago, RLBell said:

In the dark old days, I used the Nelson with the original IFHE skills.  The fire percentage was still 44% (not the current 23%) and the pen jumped to 131 mm.  It would start fires while scoring citadels on light cruisers.  It was glorious!

As to the original post, HE from BBs is only for the laughs.  Thunderer is especially fun for HE spamming, as (assuming no applied bonuses, just the base fire chances) the Thunderer can start as many fires per minute as a Smolensk.  All my other BBs take too long to switch ammo types, so they all blast AP, all of the time.

The 102mm penn is without the IFHE. That's just standard. Which is more than good for bapping just about anything in range. And I've gotten my fair share of cits on cruisers and deleted subs and DD'd in a single salvo.