Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

It came out of the sky!

9 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Anywhere from 35,000 to 78,000 tons of meteoric material falls to earth in any given year. Most of this falls as dust after the meteoroid involved completely disintegrates in the atmosphere. However, it's estimated that about 10,000 meteorites also land, many of them large enough to actually cause some damage when they hit.  

When I was a kid a local farmer swore up and down that a meteorite had landed on his truck. He said that he was watching it come down and it kept getting closer and closer and then suddenly he had a hole in his windshield and a hot rock lying on the seat. Sometimes the "old fellers" in town liked to tease us kids but I do remember seeing the broken windshield and his showing us a dark, heavy rock so who knows.

Ann Hodges, 34, was napping under quilts on her couch in Sylacauga, Alabama, on November 30, 1954, when a nine-pound meteorite came through the ceiling and bounced off a radio before hitting her in the thigh.

• Sad 1

Beta Testers
371 posts
24,692 battles

1 in 4 trillion meteorite strike my foot:Smile_sceptic: Remember NASA's DART mission that crashed a satellite into the asteroid Dimorphos? :Smile_medal: Did NASA acquire permission from the Didymosians (Citizens of the other, larger twin asteroid, Didymos.) to do that? :Smile_playing: No, eh? Well, now it looks like they think they're under attack, because we've "provoked" them, and now they've declared war on Earth! :Smile_ohmy: Where's Starfleet when we need them? :Smile_honoring: Sure, off on some five year mission to explore strange new worlds! Lotta good that'll do us. :Smile_sad: We're doomed, I tells ya! :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
38 minutes ago, LieutenantJebStewart said:

1 in 4 trillion meteorite strike my foot:Smile_sceptic: Remember NASA's DART mission that crashed a satellite into the asteroid Dimorphos? :Smile_medal: Did NASA acquire permission from the Didymosians (Citizens of the other, larger twin asteroid, Didymos.) to do that? :Smile_playing: No, eh? Well, now it looks like they think they're under attack, because we've "provoked" them, and now they've declared war on Earth! :Smile_ohmy: Where's Starfleet when we need them? :Smile_honoring: Sure, off on some five year mission to explore strange new worlds! Lotta good that'll do us. :Smile_sad: We're doomed, I tells ya! :Smile_trollface:

Sort of reminds me of a movie plot ... :cap_hmm:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055294/

Beta Testers
371 posts
24,692 battles
On 11/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Sort of reminds me of a movie plot ... :cap_hmm:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055294/

Wow, that was Richard Kiel's first credited movie. Richard "Jaws" Kiel As The Solarite Monster In "Phantom Planet" (1961) - YouTube Plus, his first movie (uncredited.) was The D.I., I never knew he was in that movie. I saw it years ago.

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
5 hours ago, LieutenantJebStewart said:

Wow, that was Richard Kiel's first credited movie. Richard "Jaws" Kiel As The Solarite Monster In "Phantom Planet" (1961) - YouTube Plus, his first movie (uncredited.) was The D.I., I never knew he was in that movie. I saw it years ago.

619948109_Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.5da85e4b44a2fca84e3b3ec4f0be4392.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
34 minutes ago, JennWay said:

LOL, I gotta watch that movie this weekend

:cap_like::cap_popcorn:

Sign in to follow this