You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
smokey66

more WoWs nonsense...penalties

28 comments in this topic

[SSAM]
[SSAM]
Members
71 posts
20,784 battles

so i'm in game, my bro needs help w/his wheelchair to the bathroom, put ship on auto-pilot, came back in a few & finished game...got penalty for inactivity.

i get the need for a AFK solution, but stick to the persistant offenders please.

considering the player base.... ppl with kids & the slightly senior, it's stupid to penalize the odd 1 off AFK.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 6

[VFW]
Members
395 posts
4,562 battles
36 minutes ago, smokey66 said:

so i'm in game, my bro needs help w/his wheelchair to the bathroom, put ship on auto-pilot, came back in a few & finished game...got penalty for inactivity.

i get the need for a AFK solution, but stick to the persistant offenders please.

considering the player base.... ppl with kids & the slightly senior, it's stupid to penalize the odd 1 off AFK.

You got a screen shot of such things?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 hour ago, smokey66 said:

penalty for inactivity

The current "inactivity" system makes no rational sense. I've tested a dozen different scenarios. It seems that if you put your ship on autopilot for a certain amount of time in the middle of a match you will then be penalized for "inactivity" even if you actively play the game before and after. Sort of defeats the purpose of the autopilot.

• Cool 1

[SSAM]
[SSAM]
Members
71 posts
20,784 battles

really no point, not denying i was AFK for a few min, or against the effort to fix constant AFK players, just thinking a lil more consideration in application

[WOLFX]
Members
814 posts
1,713 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've tested a dozen different scenarios. It seems that if you put your ship on autopilot for a certain amount of time in the middle of a match you will then be penalized for "inactivity" even if you actively play the game before and after.

I wonder, is it possible to have an auto-script in Windows that 'clicks' your RMB (fire button) every 35 seconds when you enable it if you want to put your ship on autopilot for a while?

Does firing your main guns count as activity, or do you actually have to hit something with those guns?

[BONKS]
Members
4,815 posts
52 battles
1 minute ago, cammaj said:

I wonder, is it possible to have an auto-script in Windows that 'clicks' your RMB (fire button) every 35 seconds when you enable it if you want to put your ship on autopilot for a while?

Does firing your main guns count as activity, or do you actually have to hit something with those guns?

Not a programmer so I wouldn't know but I imagine it to be fairly easy.

That however would be botting which is against the rules.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
Just now, cammaj said:

It seems that you do have to do damage and not just try to do so. Whether secondary damage works to keep you "active" seems to depend on your ship's type (CV versus surface) and whether or not you manually set a priority target now and again.

Members
424 posts
17 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The current "inactivity" system makes no rational sense. I've tested a dozen different scenarios. It seems that if you put your ship on autopilot for a certain amount of time in the middle of a match you will then be penalized for "inactivity" even if you actively play the game before and after. Sort of defeats the purpose of the autopilot.

oww i didnt know that i usually send my CV in co op to the nearest cap and concentrate on the planes i guess my secondaries blapping away at the cap counteracts that?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 minute ago, STILLDRE1976 said:

oww i didnt know that i usually send my CV in co op to the nearest cap and concentrate on the planes i guess my secondaries blapping away at the cap counteracts that?

With CVs, secondary damage doesn't count for activity. You have to do damage with a plane's ordinance. If you only fly around and spot but don't hit anything with plane ordinance you can still get an inactivity penalty, even though your ship is tanking damage and shooting its secondaries, and even if it sinks some of the enemy ships with its secondaries.

[WOLFX]
Members
814 posts
1,713 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Not a programmer so I wouldn't know but I imagine it to be fairly easy.

That however would be botting which is against the rules.

Yes, it would be considered 'botting', so it would be illegal ... and rightly so.

But, what if the LMB was jammed on with tape or a guitar pick, and you went away for a few minutes? It would keep firing every time the guns reloaded. Hmm... 

Edited by cammaj
Wrong mouse button!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

The whole penalty system is a mess, just as in the Karma system. Bring back team damage as without it players are now just firing torpedoes all over the place without any regards as to where they might go. While this does no team damage, it neither does any damage to an enemy ship if a teammate soaks up all of the torpedoes aimed for the enemy. I had a DD send two salvos of torpedoes into my ship yesterday when he was trying to sink an enemy cruiser because he apparently didn't care that that a huge battleship was sitting right in front of him and, who knows, one or two of the torpedoes might miss the friendly and hit the enemy. Bring back team damage and then charge the team damager the price of replacing every ship that's sunk or a proportional repair price according to the hit-points taken off it by the damage. That should suffice.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[HODL]
Members
201 posts
6,820 battles
3 hours ago, smokey66 said:

I got a 2 game pink "warning" for a 1v1 match.  Matchmaker in random matched me in a u69 vs another u69... RANDOM!  1v1!!!!!!  I didn't want to play it so i quit the match.  ended up pink for 2 matches because of it.  stupid stupid system.  especially since the other player didn't report me, we were chatting before the match and i offered to quit, since i didn't feel like playing it, and asked him if he was ok with the forfeit.  he was fine with it.  

• Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,194 posts
15,770 battles
3 hours ago, smokey66 said:

You are not actually punished until you get to orange status which only you can see, you are pink to other players, where you must play co-op for a number of matches with no more afks.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

It seems that you do have to do damage and not just try to do so. Whether secondary damage works to keep you "active" seems to depend on your ship's type (CV versus surface) and whether or not you manually set a priority target now and again.

Yeah, you always had to do damage and as far as I know it had to be with your primary weapon which for CV's is damaging ships with your planes.

6 minutes ago, Azanimefan said:

I got a 2 game pink "warning" for a 1v1 match.  Matchmaker in random matched me in a u69 vs another u69... RANDOM!  1v1!!!!!!  I didn't want to play it so i quit the match.  ended up pink for 2 matches because of it.  stupid stupid system.  especially since the other player didn't report me, we were chatting before the match and i offered to quit, since i didn't feel like playing it, and asked him if he was ok with the forfeit.  he was fine with it.  

Pink is not really a punishment and you admitted to bailing from the match.

[HODL]
Members
201 posts
6,820 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Pink is not really a punishment and you admitted to bailing from the match.

its annoying; and yes, i bailed.  explain to me why i should play on a full map 1v1 against another sub?  do you know how stupid that is?  unless we told eachother where we were in chat the chances of us running into eachother would have been impossibly unlikely.  

Edited by Azanimefan
  • Boring 1

[WOLFX]
Members
814 posts
1,713 battles
22 minutes ago, Azanimefan said:

unless we told eachother where we were in chat the chances of us running into eachother would have been impossibly unlikely.  

And that would have been a sanction for revealing your team's position (even if only you) to the Reds! :-)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,194 posts
15,770 battles
1 hour ago, Azanimefan said:

its annoying; and yes, i bailed.  explain to me why i should play on a full map 1v1 against another sub?  do you know how stupid that is?  unless we told eachother where we were in chat the chances of us running into eachother would have been impossibly unlikely.  

Because like I said being pink is not a punishment, it is a warning to the player to not do what they did to become pink again. Pink has zero effect on what you can do unless you keep doing that until you get orange status which then forces you to only play co-op until you work it off.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Because like I said being pink is not a punishment, it is a warning to the player to not do what they did to become pink again.

Turning pink may not be a punishment per se but we can always punish those that are pink.

Not for delicate or sensitive ears. You have been warned!

Spoiler

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
22 posts
18,252 battles

Yeah, I posted about it on test realm.

You are winning a game and all you have to do it let the clock run out, nope thats a penalty.

Edited by m4t4

[KRAK]
Members
4,012 posts
27,879 battles
8 hours ago, cammaj said:

You can just use an auto clicker and it is in no way botting but it is also pointless.

Inactivity is linked to the damage you have done, if you do no damage you get an inactivity penalty so just firing your guns is pointless

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
711 posts
15,045 battles
10 hours ago, smokey66 said:

You just named the persistent offenders. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

the 12 v 12 match in which you get a queue dump and it's 2 subs.....  wg needs to add some exceptions to inactivity.  likely even if they had both actively played they would have got a warning for that..  the only way to avoid it is work with the opposing player just to find each other...  and even then...  

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
11 hours ago, smokey66 said:

The system is working fine, you got a warning for inactivity as you were in fact inactive. The system doesn't care for reasons, if your behavior is not persistent you have nothing to worry about, the event would remain a warning and will not scale.