Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Junpei_MT

Mapping Tools

13 comments in this topic

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles

Hey @Ahskance, @Boggzy, and everyone else who's reading! Hope you're having a good Monday.

I would like to submit a request for community mapping tools, or some kind of map editor (in-game or standalone, either would be fine with me). I would absolutely love to be able to create custom maps, game modes, and operations for community play. This could come in a few different ways, including but not limited to:

- In-game map/stage editor, similar to ones found in Trackmania (2020), Smash Ultimate, Age of Empires, Geometry Dash, and more. This would comprise of a "map" and "Blocks", where you can load either a blank or existing "map" to use as a canvas and have existing "blocks" of prefabricated islands/decoration assets, capture zones, and spawn markers to place around said map. Additional wants would be enemy and friendly AI spawn triggers so that custom Operations or PVE maps could be made. Finished maps could then be published to a global/Serverwide map database and selected in training rooms/a separate game mode to be played by everyone. 

- A stand alone map editor, similar to the Hammer editor for Team Fortress 2 or MCEdit for Minecraft, where a user has more control over specifically designing every aspect of a map including island geometry, custom textures/scenery, more intricate AI behavior, complex spawning mechanics, etc. Maps would similarly be uploaded either to an in-game or forum-based website/database where they could then be accessed in-game through training rooms, OR maps could be pulled into a custom folder where they could be loaded in a singleplayer training room for testing before being distributed. 

- In-game custom terraforming tool, where instead of placing prefab assets around a blank/existing map, the player uses "terrain brushes" to model/modify a map (think Blender, or the terraforming options in games like Cities: Skylines). This would run more like a 3D painting software rather than a stage editor, giving the user more freedom to precisely implement ideas.  Map implementation would then be similar to that of the in-game map/stage editor. 

There are heaps of examples of games expanding their content library, innovating new mechanics and game modes, and extending their lifespan by allowing the community to create custom content. We already have that in WoWs to some degree with mods, but giving us mapping tools would allow for an explosion of fresh community-created content. Already I can think of a plethora of examples off the top of my head for things I would spend hours making, including: Custom operations, PVE survival maps, a Standardized Testing map where you can test/compare different aspects of ships, Historical Operation recreations, new PVP maps, Racecourse maps, Custom maps for community-run tournaments like Shipstorm (RIP) and Saturnalia, Custom 3v3/1v1 Brawling maps, Funny meme maps (North/South separated by a reef, plays like dodgeball, 2 Brothers but you can only go through the channel, 2 Brothers but there are 5 channels, Ocean but it's really tiny, etc.), community rebalancing of maps for tournaments, and more. Implementing custom mapping tools is a great way for Wargaming to let the community add all of this content and more to the game without having to spend developer time iterating, testing, and building concepts that would ultimately only make for a temporary game mode or scrapped idea. 

Please send this to whomever it concerns at WG, as I think this would be a very welcome and popular addition to World of Warships. 

-Junpei

• Cool 2
  • Haha 2

[F4E]
Members
605 posts
10,560 battles
5 minutes ago, Junpei_MT said:

map

Cool idea, +1.

But in line with my expectation of what I feel is reasonably possible for WG to possibly achieve, I shortened your request.

• Funny 1

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles
1 minute ago, Glamorboy said:

But in line with my expectation of what I feel is reasonably possible for WG to possibly achieve, I shortened your request.

I don't expect this to happen, It's a fair bit of work for something that isn't an immediate revenue stream for an already pretty old game. That being said, you never know until you try, and I'd rather ask on the off chance that it happens than keep it to myself and leave it as a pipe dream.

[SOUS]
Members
768 posts
6,638 battles

This wouldn't fit into this game, it's not like other games you've mentioned.

• Cool 2

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles
3 minutes ago, Itsj_p said:

This wouldn't fit into this game, it's not like other games you've mentioned.

Why not? First, it's more content without WG needing to rely on designing/modeling/implementing/balancing even more ship lines. Second, I have yet to see a game suffer for including a way for the community to make additional custom content/maps. Third, it's not intrusive to the base game, so players who only want Official WG Content can continue to play the game as normal. 

Members
424 posts

First theres quality control over modded maps am sure they have enough on there plate now and same reasons why most fps games dont let you run custom  servers anymore they dont want to split the community anymore but i do agree it works on certain games dayz became a completely different game when  they released the map and tool editors etc 

Members
234 posts
13,159 battles

The game engine used for World of Warships is BigWorld.  Wargaming purchased the company in 2012 and is now the proprietary owner of this engine. (Now operated by Wargaming Sydney.)

You can purchase the Commercial license for the engine but the Indie edition was discontinued.  It's highly unlikely Wargaming would release the API or modding tools for a commercial engine. They don't even keep the API up to date for stat tracking.

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles
5 minutes ago, STILLDRE1976 said:

First theres quality control over modded maps am sure they have enough on there plate now and same reasons why most fps games dont let you run custom  servers anymore they dont want to split the community anymore but i do agree it works on certain games dayz became a completely different game when  they released the map and tool editors etc 

Fair concerns. I imagine though, whatever way they host community submitted maps would include some form of moderation to keep inappropriate things out. I don't think WG would need to playtest or moderate too much beyond that though, as there would be a clear differentiation between community made and official WG made maps. Based on the current size of the game the number of maps they'd have to moderate would be fairly low. Splitting the player base is another valid concern, as I imagine they want to keep Random Battles numbers as high as possible. 

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles
12 minutes ago, AgentNut said:

You can purchase the Commercial license for the engine but the Indie edition was discontinued.  It's highly unlikely Wargaming would release the API or modding tools for a commercial engine. They don't even keep the API up to date for stat tracking.

The hope in asking for WG to release the tools to the community is to increase accessibility for community mapping, so that everyone who wants to make a fun map doesn't have to pay for a license and learn how to set up and work with a game engine. As you say, it's very unlikely to happen, but I'd rather ask for it before giving up on the notion entirely.

Members
424 posts
3 hours ago, Junpei_MT said:

The hope in asking for WG to release the tools to the community is to increase accessibility for community mapping, so that everyone who wants to make a fun map doesn't have to pay for a license and learn how to set up and work with a game engine. As you say, it's very unlikely to happen, but I'd rather ask for it before giving up on the notion entirely.

yeah but its a bit like me asking you to sell me your front door key lol

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles

I remember that StarCraft and StarCraft-II had built-in tools to create maps for personal use and to upload to forums for sharing & evaluation.
There were tools for creating NPC activity scripts and triggers and NPC units for story themed player-versus-computer scenarios, too.

Would it be nice if WOWs had some form of that?  Yes, I think so.
Amateur maps might not be approved for in-game use on the server, but it could be interesting to try stuff in a training room or as an offline scenario operation.  Just brainstorming, here.

[-WD-]
Members
183 posts
14,873 battles
7 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Amateur maps might not be approved for in-game use on the server, but it could be interesting to try stuff in a training room or as an offline scenario operation.  Just brainstorming, here.

I would imagine training battle or special gamemode usage for user-based maps, as there are no community-run servers for WoWs. This idea stemmed in part from another thread talking about pick-up games, and also thinking about how to organize community events.

Sign in to follow this