You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tigermaus

The new IJN cruiser line.....needs work.

37 comments in this topic

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

My opinion...

As one of the people who took one for the team despite recommending not to do so, I bought out a huge majority of the set and got that Yodo (you're welcome, WG). Do yourself a favor and skip these ships until WG buffs them. The Yodo is a torp boat with light cruiser armor, garbo gun ballistics beyond about 12km and near BB maneuverability. It has to be the most underwhelming ship line I've seen in a while. It's like the ship was being worked on by 3 or 4 different teams and none of them communicated with eachother.

The line is occasional bursts of, "LOL you ran into the torps", but mostly, "wow, I can't seem to do much of anything this game". I was really excited about this line but so far it gets a pass from me. 

As an aside....who did the Perma Camos? Dark gray and Jelly Belly geen? Those are the two options avaialble for a tier X? Really, you couldn't come up with something more interesting than that? At least give it some pizzazz like that other perma camo that looks like a mint bush. It's like they were camo'd them in MS paint as part of a 3rd grade art project. They have to be the laziest perma camos I've seen. Geez...

I'm sure I'll get the plethora of, "you're not playing it right", so please feel free to peruse the vids/reviews out there from various talented CC's that p*** excellence and heed their advice (like I didn't). :)

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

Members
2,760 posts

The new boats aren't introduced to impress, they're bells for the inhabitants of Pavlov's kennels to respond to, as the OP did.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[X-PN]
Members
3,828 posts
17,711 battles
21 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I took the Tier 5 into ranked and instantly regretted it. Hard pass for me, just like the Italian DDs.

Actually, I think it will be like the Pasta DD line where the Tier 5 is unintentionally one of the strong points in the line.  Torps are stupid strong for T5.... take torp buff skill and you can nearly wipe some T5 cruisers with 1 torp.  DPM is also competitive for T5 unlike later tiers....

The worst is the T8 where the boat is otherwise similar to 155 Mogami but has 2/3rd the DPM (and worse ballistics and HE pen).  I'd like to see the mental gymnastics WG would use to justify that one....

Edited by YouSatInGum

[HOP4S]
Members
6,983 posts
35,369 battles
9 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

The new boats aren't introduced to impress, they're bells for the inhabitants of Pavlov's kennels to respond to, as the OP did.

Target, Cease Fire !!   Ain't it the truth.......nothing but money and quality simply is M = P (marginal equals pass....)

[WOLFC]
Members
6,079 posts
17,215 battles
8 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Actually, I think it will be like the Pasta DD line where the Tier is unintentionally one of the strong points in the line.  Torps are stupid strong for T5.... take torp buff skill and you can nearly wipe some T5 cruisers with 1 torp.  DPM is also competitive for T5 unlike later tiers....

The tier VII might be interesting as well, by nature of her 155mm guns having 26mm of HE pen (due to having 1/6 pen like other tier VII CLs). Her HE can pen everything at her tier while maintaining her 10% base fire chance, while IFHE gives her 32mm pen vs. the 31mm pen of her contemporaries.

It will be interesting to see how she performs in tier VII Ranked, where that extra mm of base pen will make a huge difference. In regards to Randoms, I don’t think the unique HE characteristics will make the ship good per se, but she might at least be interesting. Thankfully I won’t have to invest any dedicated effort to grind the line to tier VII to find out.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

Members
1,029 posts
21,127 battles

Got the Agano yesterday. Was shot at twice. Even with dodging and angling and staying at max range. One miss, one dev strike instakill. “Great torpedoes” doesn’t matter when you make the Hawkins seem like a toughbote.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles
47 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The tier VII might be interesting as well, by nature of her 155mm guns having 26mm of HE pen (due to having 1/6 pen like other tier VII CLs). Her HE can pen everything at her tier while maintaining her 10% base fire chance, while IFHE gives her 32mm pen vs. the 31mm pen of her contemporaries.

It will be interesting to see how she performs in tier VII Ranked, where that extra mm of base pen will make a huge difference. In regards to Randoms, I don’t think the unique HE characteristics will make the ship good per se, but she might at least be interesting. Thankfully I won’t have to invest any dedicated effort to grind the line to tier VII to find out.

I am looking forward to the 7 as well.

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
656 posts
3,089 battles

They're paper ships with paper armor

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts

i took a torp from one of them in alaska (coop) over the weekend... them torps hit hard!

[R_N]
Beta Testers
883 posts
1,616 battles

I just got the Agano last night but haven't took it out for a trial run yet. I imagine most of these new ships will be geared more towards Co-op players and the hard core captains who enjoy playing ships that are challenging. I think they need a little less torpedo power and a little more artillery power.

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles

I unlocked the tier 6 boat and played maybe a half dozen games in it.  The torpedoes are excellent, but that's about the only thing the ship has to recommend it.  The armor is paper, its not excessively fast and doesn't turn that well (even with the rudder shift mod).  The gun DPM is horrid.  A 9 second reload on 4x2 152mm rifles is just punitive.  I mean, maybe if it had like a 70% fire chance would that be workable.  My thought is that the torpedoes for this line is their Dutch airstrike - its a quiet gimmick, and if you don't get good work out of the torpedoes you won't have good results.  You can stealth torp -  at least in the t6 - but with only one rack per side on a 2-minute reload its not like you can flood the map with torps.

I dunno.  Small sample size, but based on first impressions would not recommend spending any money on this line.  Wait until full release.

[WOLFC]
Members
6,079 posts
17,215 battles
2 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

You can stealth torp -  at least in the t6 - but with only one rack per side on a 2-minute reload its not like you can flood the map with torps.

Agano’s and Gokase’s torpedoes are mounted along the centerline, meaning they can fire all their torps off one side. This is also why the torpedo launch arcs are so awful compared to many other cruisers. It’s amazing how WG chose to implement the line’s “curving torpedo” gimmick at tier VII, thus excluding the two ships that most need it.

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles
7 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Agano’s and Gokase’s torpedoes are mounted along the centerline, meaning they can fire all their torps off one side. This is also why the torpedo launch arcs are so awful compared to many other cruisers. It’s amazing how WG chose to implement the line’s “curving torpedo” gimmick at tier VII, thus excluding the two ships that most need it.

Yeah, my bad.  I had forgotten they were centerline.  My brain was locked onto the 2x4, and on most ships cruiser size or larger that's one per side.  As you pointed out, the arcs are pretty bad so you have to show all of your juicy bits to get them all off.

Edited by Uncle_Lou

[SNGNS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
62 posts
5,498 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The tier 7 did look interesting, but then I noticed that she has the worst DPM of any tier 7 light cruiser, and nerfed HE alpha compared to the same guns on Mogami (2450 vs 2600).  I don't see any reason to play this line, based on their underwhelming gun performance, poor maneuverability, and long torpedo detection distance.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts
53 minutes ago, Tank3rDude said:

I just got the Agano last night but haven't took it out for a trial run yet. I imagine most of these new ships will be geared more towards Co-op players and the hard core captains who enjoy playing ships that are challenging. I think they need a little less torpedo power and a little more artillery power.

nope... these are not ideal for coop at all...

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,103 posts
20,447 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

nope... these are not ideal for coop at all...

True.  Guns need to be high dpm or high alpha.  These are neither.  

Torps in a light cruiser are always kind of iffy, and the bots have become a bit more cruiser phobic.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

True.  Guns need to be high dpm or high alpha.  These are neither.  

Torps in a light cruiser are always kind of iffy, and the bots have become a bit more cruiser phobic.

and i am loving the mogami grind, and well the heavy cruiser line in general

if these had been faster firing i would be all over them, i love the guns on most IJN ships.(can't really speak for the dd's though)

[CVA16]
Members
8,869 posts
27,039 battles
3 hours ago, Telastyn said:

“Great torpedoes” doesn’t matter when you make the Hawkins seem like a toughbote.

They also don't matter when you have those restrictive torp angles which pretty much limit you to long range stealth torp spam and then wait for the reload. Don't have any of the new line but do have the Yahagi and have been completely unimpressed.

Need to use the tokens to buy something besides the ships.

Edited by Sabot_100

[KILL]
[KILL]
Beta Testers
140 posts

bad dpm? check. Bad handling? check. Huge ships? Check. No armor? Check. I think they should give yodo ohio heal cooldown so battleships can farm it more rather than popping it in 2-3 BB salvoes. By the way yodos torps if you spec them full torp speed they have 0.2sec slower reaction time than zao torps. If you love torpedo focused cruisers just play jinan its better(it has its own drawbacks though) but its def better than yodo lul

Edited by Nishimura_1

[MTNA]
Members
29 posts
13,963 battles

I did the missions and got T5 and T6

Great little lightweight cruisers.

Rate of fire isn't bad compared to the heavy cruisers (yes I know the heavies hit harder) and the torpedo's have a decent range and hit pretty hard.

Just my opinion.  Everyone has one but you are not intitled to flog me with yours.  :)

[NX01]
Members
95 posts
11,922 battles

Is there a difference between the tier 5 Agano and the tier 5 premium Yahagi other than one is tech tree and the other is a premium? Seems odd that a premium is just a carbon copy of a tech tree ship with no special gimmick or feature.

[NWNG]
Members
3,933 posts
6,115 battles
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

and i am loving the mogami grind, and well the heavy cruiser line in general

if these had been faster firing i would be all over them, i love the guns on most IJN ships.(can't really speak for the dd's though)

The guns of IJN DD weren't meant to win gunfights, witch exception of Akizuki-Harugumo. If you're trying to win fights with the guns of IJN DD, you either want Aki+ or seriously need to resort your priorities.

I haven't been in my IJN DDs recently, because of so many other ships I want to play right now, but check my stats, and you will see I am an IJN DD Main. Not the best, and likely never will be the best, but I do try to improve myself, while still maintaining fun while playing.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,745 posts
2 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

The guns of IJN DD weren't meant to win gunfights, witch exception of Akizuki-Harugumo. If you're trying to win fights with the guns of IJN DD, you either want Aki+ or seriously need to resort your priorities.

I haven't been in my IJN DDs recently, because of so many other ships I want to play right now, but check my stats, and you will see I am an IJN DD Main. Not the best, and likely never will be the best, but I do try to improve myself, while still maintaining fun while playing.

i just don't enjoy dd's period...  i try every once in awhile... but they don't do much for me.

[NWNG]
Members
3,933 posts
6,115 battles
13 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i just don't enjoy dd's period...  i try every once in awhile... but they don't do much for me.

understandable. And the IJN CL line, is basically beefed up DDs with Citadel, and no smoke.