You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Panama_ed

New York could use some love

7 comments in this topic

[PD-73]
Members
51 posts

In 1938 the most interesting addition was the XAF radar, an experimental model set resulted from several years’ technical progress by the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL), and also built the transmitter, and receiver. In February it was experimentally installed on a first ship, USS new York. It worked on a 200 MHz or 1.5 meter wavelength, powered at 15 kilowatts. This early radar featured a “bedspring” antenna, 17 feet square.

It scanned the horizon, mounted on the rotating yoke and could elevate and depress to keep the radio signal parallel to the surface even when the ship rolled. The Brewster Aeronautical Corporation fabricated a suitable duralumin structure for it, to by navy grade. It was mounted atop the pilothouse, in place of the large optical rangefinder, moved to the top of the second main forward turret. It really exceeded expectation, in winter maneuverers, being able to detect ships at 15 nautical miles and planes at 100 nm. During these exercises for the first time, the radar was used for gunnery practice, with a more precise range and azimuth direction, as served as navigation radar as well in the night and fog, being able to see large obstructions. 

As long as your making up ships war gaming, why not revisit some you already have and give them historical buffs and not your assumed made up ones. Give Italian BBs some love there are many more ships that could and should get some love instead of paper ships that no one or heard of.

• Cool 3

[Y0L0K]
Members
378 posts
25,412 battles

My grandfather served on the New York though it's pacific campaign and I have his medals hanging on my wall.  I wish it was a bit more viable of a ship to play.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles

New York could use some love but there are so many built in steel ships that are modelled with radar that don't have radar in game.

[NWNG]
Members
3,939 posts
6,138 battles
16 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

New York could use some love but there are so many built in steel ships that are modelled with radar that don't have radar in game.

Iowa being a good example.

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles

WG could give Bismarck it historical radar. Of course that radar would break as soon as you fire your guns:cap_haloween:

• Funny 2