You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Sea of the Superships

36 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles

Welcome to the new match-making bracket.

• Sad 1

[O_O]
Members
7,892 posts
22,043 battles
21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

...amplified by the current string of super ship missions.

• Cool 1

[-HUGS]
Members
966 posts
13,151 battles
47 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I must admit....  That chain of missions was good enough to get me playing them. I played like 4 battles in T11 per day on average since the patch came out and completed the first group of missions yesterday.
You can expect me not play them until the second group become available later this week.

I suspect other players will be in the same situation so today and tomorrow could look a bit better for T9-T10 MM.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

True.  I'm tempted by the Condé, myself.

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,170 battles
20 minutes ago, Mr_Argamas said:

I must admit....  That chain of missions was good enough to get me playing them.

(Looks… Randoms only… Award is coal…)

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

True.  I'm tempted by the Condé, myself.

Yeah; expense, plus already have a mil+ coal anyway.

Still not happening.

I don’t think there’s anything WG could do to get me to waste time on these, things.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

715092786_GotBusy_01-21-2022_Untitled.thumb.jpg.ea3b260b0bcc2909936852f1431b26a2.jpg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Steel for the later chains, starting with the one that opens up this week.

• Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Still not happening.

I don’t think there’s anything WG could do to get me to waste time on these, things.

Right, the first missions offer coal, and later missions offer 150 steel and another 150 steel.  Then research points and eventually a container in the last mission set.

I don't feel that I have a surplus of credits, at this time.  ::: sigh :::
Good to stay informed, though.

image_2022-11-07_093059761.thumb.png.cb5a9466e66b1154feaf25d448b7959f.png

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,170 battles
24 minutes ago, Lert said:

Steel for the later chains, starting with the one that opens up this week.

Except I have enough steel for any single ship; but don’t care for any of the current offerings?

Think my last steel ship was Somers, and I hardly ever play it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except I have enough steel for any single ship; but don’t care for any of the current offerings?

Think my last steel ship was Somers, and I hardly ever play it.

That's fair. Just saying it's not only coal that's on offer.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-HUGS]
Members
966 posts
13,151 battles
52 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I don't feel that I have a surplus of credits, at this time.  ::: sigh :::

I am a bit lucky personally, in that I perform with some level of consistency to be able to get a near 0-sum on green credit boosters. And I turn some profits with blue usually.

But still... There is a cost associated with using boosters and a lost opportunity for more credits, even if I'm not losing credits overall. There's no way around it; they are still expensive in the end.

I was surprised to see a CM mention the reason they needed incentives to get people to play them is a lack of diversity, implying it's mainly because they don't have enough superchips available. We'll see if that's true eventually. Because personally, I can't see myself playing them regularly and without incentives until the day that I have no use for more credits.

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
3 minutes ago, Mr_Argamas said:

I am a bit lucky personally, in that I perform with some level of consistency to be able to get a near 0-sum on green credit boosters. And I turn some profits with blue usually.

But still... There is a cost associated with using boosters and a lost opportunity for more credits, even if I'm not losing credits overall. There's no way around it; they are still expensive in the end.

I was surprised to see a CM mention the reason they needed incentives to get people to play them is a lack of diversity, implying it's mainly because they don't have enough superchips available. We'll see if that's true eventually. Because personally, I can't see myself playing them regularly and without incentives until the day that I have no use for more credits.

I have approximately 50 million credits at the moment.
The cost of the Conde' is 47 million credits, plus the cost of equipment modules for the hull.
Then there is the post-battle service costs.

Playing superships on the Public Test Server is affordable because the cost is a drop in my bucket of credits, there.
On the live-server, they're expensive to acquire and operate, in my opinion.
They're fun... but ... well ... that fun comes with a price-tag.  :-)

[WOLF9]
Members
90 posts
9,483 battles
4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

^ that.  I think people collectively realized a while ago that t9 is the new t8.

3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

^ also that.  WG wants more superships in the queue, for whatever their reasons are...my personal suspicion is to get them to act as the credit drain that they are designed to be.  By completing those mission chains, players are essentially trading in credits for other resource types.

28 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

Its only a 1 tier split. 

In OP's screenshot, yes.  Personally I would actually be in favor of changing mm for superships so they can only be placed with other supers or t10.  However that is not the case today, and as a result I have several t9 grinds that I have become hesitant to continue because I keep getting put in lobbies like the screenshot, where the only difference is swapping out one or two t10 on each side for t9.  Pure pain.

[UNC]
Members
1,238 posts
7,459 battles

Only 5 per side? Pfft rookie numbers.  Had a match recently with 7 Supers per side.  Been seeing 5 pretty often.  Waiting for the day I see 10+ per side.  The missions are tempting though; if I can't really farm credits with them, I may as well earn some extra coal/steel.

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
4 minutes ago, awexomeguy said:

In OP's screenshot, yes.  Personally I would actually be in favor of changing mm for superships so they can only be placed with other supers or t10.  However that is not the case today, and as a result I have several t9 grinds that I have become hesitant to continue because I keep getting put in lobbies like the screenshot, where the only difference is swapping out one or two t10 on each side for t9.  Pure pain.

You pointed out Tier-9 is the new Tier-8.  :-)
As long as the ship can still cause damage to the higher tier ships, then a battle has the chance of earning more xp and credits if one is sailing a bottom tiered ship.

Members
546 posts
10,654 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Still not happening.

I'm right there with ya, when i look at an Annapolis all i see is a Des Moines with an extra turret, when i look at a Yamagiri i see a Shimakaze with 3 extra torpedoes, to me they are not worth the investment and the rewards don't do it for me either, coal i really don't need, RB points i really don't want and the steel, ehh, like i said it's not worth the investment for me.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,787 posts
20,722 battles
3 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I did buy a poweball ticket lol...

you and everyone else......

• Haha 1

[LWC]
Members
433 posts
933 battles
1 hour ago, awexomeguy said:

Is it really different from being a tier 5 vs 7? A tier 8 vs 10?  Playing a zieten against a shlieffen is absurd, yet normal match making. It should only be same tier matches, but nobody wants those wait times with the current player numbers. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,294 posts
23,625 battles
5 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Yep ^^

That is why I was playing them this weekend.

[WOLF9]
Members
90 posts
9,483 battles
52 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

You pointed out Tier-9 is the new Tier-8.  :-)
As long as the ship can still cause damage to the higher tier ships, then a battle has the chance of earning more xp and credits if one is sailing a bottom tiered ship.

I see what you are saying, but I believe that is "more true" about certain tiers than others.  Before supers were added, t8 was viewed as the tier that experienced maximum pain in mm when it comes to getting uptiered.  This might be debatable, but imo the power gap between t9-superships is larger than the gap between t8-t10.  So a t9 getting placed in a supership lobby is a more painful prospect than a t8 going into a t10 lobby.  Hence, "t9 is the new t8".  It is still completely possible to be productive in such a lobby, but the "handicap" is more profound, or at least it feels that way to me.

One theoretically could make the exact same statement about putting a t1 into a supership lobby -- "there's always a chance" -- but I think we can all agree that wouldn't actually hold up in practice.