You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Is the New Patch to Blame?

75 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Do you think that the new patch and the tech tree submarine availability to to blame for the horrendous gameplay I'm seeing this weekend? I'm thinking that it could be that people who haven't played the game in ages might be checking out subs now but didn't earlier because they couldn't be bothered to work through any missions to get them. I swear that players are worse than bots right now, and it's not just on one team. Nearly every game I've played today has been a pathetic blowout for one team or the other.

image.thumb.png.91224e4d21c734a5ca77ff356a7830c8.png

Previous to this it was my team that won, in a little over 5 minutes!

image.png.4bc2154ef334edf1ce90d24e40d8ceb5.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,913 posts
8,973 battles

Horrendous gameplay from your team balanced out by smart gameplay from the red team. 

• Meh 1

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
400 posts
14,401 battles

I think it’s the battle pass. Cause the last few days have been very bad.

• Thanks 1

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,101 posts
5,173 battles

My question is... why do submarines have masts? It looks DUMB, especially as you go up in tiers. Sleek lines utterly ruined by ahistorical greeblies.

--Helms

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
4 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

My question is... why do submarines have masts? It looks DUMB, especially as you go up in tiers. Sleek lines utterly ruined by ahistorical greeblies.

--Helms

What, do you mean these?

gato-class-submarine-scale-model-3d-mode

the-submarine-gato-class-picture-in-publ

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,101 posts
5,173 battles

No, I mean THIS.
shot-22_11.06_01_59.02-0331.thumb.jpg.105071893b9d9a7de75445f11d8074fd.jpg

A friend of mine has indicated that they disappear in battle, but it looks really stupid in port.

--Helms

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles
12 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

No, I mean THIS.

A friend of mine has indicated that they disappear in battle, but it looks really stupid in port.

--Helms

Probably so you can see what flags you have mounted in case you want to change them before you press Battle to avoid using flags you don't need to or vice-versa.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
18 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

No, I mean THIS.

--Helms

That's a signal flag mast.

I-153-trialsHiroshimaBay1925.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you think that the new patch and the tech tree submarine availability to to blame for the horrendous gameplay I'm seeing this weekend? I'm thinking that it could be that people who haven't played the game in ages might be checking out subs now but didn't earlier because they couldn't be bothered to work through any missions to get them. I swear that players are worse than bots right now, and it's not just on one team. Nearly every game I've played today has been a pathetic blowout for one team or the other.

Why would tech tree availability of subs lead to a good old fashioned steamroll in a battle that has no submarines in it?

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,101 posts
5,173 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That's a signal flag mast.

I-153-trialsHiroshimaBay1925.jpg

I know what it is. If we had WWI or 1920s submarines at tier 4 it would make sense for it to be modeled on those. But we don't. Why is it on the Type VII, Cachalot, Type IX, Salmon, and especially Type XXI and the GUPPY refit Balao we have in the game? If it disappears in battle, that's less annoying, but it still looks really jarring and out of place when I can't find a single piece of reference material of any of those classes having such a thing fitted. It's especially odd on Balao and U-2501 considering the whole point of those designs was streamlining for underwater speed.

--Helms

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
10 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

Why would tech tree availability of subs lead to a good old fashioned steamroll in a battle that has no submarines in it?

When something new is introduced to the game it generally bring in people who haven't played in a while. Most of them will check out the new thing and then go on to play some matches in one of their other ships. As was pointed out, the Battle Pass may be bringing in some long-absent players too.

• Thanks 1

Members
150 posts
2,565 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The main problem is that a good share of the player base plays like they have zero brain cells. I am talking about the ones who have played thousands of games yet still play like they installed the game for the first time five minutes ago. They have not even learned the simple things in the game, like don't sail broadside to the enemy, don't sail into a bunch of enemies alone, and don't commit suicide. I sometimes wonder how these players cross the street without getting hit by traffic; their awareness of what is going on around them is so bad. Sadly, you will never change those players no matter how hard you try. You can be as nice as you can be and try to help them, but a good amount of them will either ignore you or get mad that you are giving them advice. We either have to accept that these players are here or go find another game, and then you get to the other game and see these types of players are there also. c'est la vie

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 2

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles
2 hours ago, BIueMoon said:

The main problem is that a good share of the player base plays like they have zero brain cells. I am talking about the ones who have played thousands of games yet still play like they installed the game for the first time five minutes ago. They have not even learned the simple things in the game, like don't sail broadside to the enemy, don't sail into a bunch of enemies alone, and don't commit suicide. I sometimes wonder how these players cross the street without getting hit by traffic; their awareness of what is going on around them is so bad. Sadly, you will never change those players no matter how hard you try. You can be as nice as you can be and try to help them, but a good amount of them will either ignore you or get mad that you are giving them advice. We either have to accept that these players are here or go find another game, and then you get to the other game and see these types of players are there also. c'est la vie

This big time this^^^^^ When you have a player with 5K, 10K, or more and they have only survived like 5% of them and they are a BB main, you know they are just so bad they probably can't be helped. What I see some players do just makes you wonder if you can look in one ear and see out the other.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TO07]
Members
4,299 posts
31,674 battles

Horrendous game play has be happening for well over 3 years maybe 5, are Subs to blame cant say really but what has made it worse is players not really putting the time in to Learn the game.

Stupid new ships with stupid gimmicks, NERFING here and there , stupid new mechanics that are not needed along with before mentioned stupid new gimmicks, and a whole host of other things that have turned this great game to almost ruin.    

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2

[SUB4]
Members
1,712 posts
13,114 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

No, it's probably just that. Like you said, perhaps a lot of player have recently returned to the game.

Perhaps gameplay just sucks this weekend?

I had several games yesterday where we were well in the lead but lost toward the end.

One look at the mini-map during these matches leads me to believe that some players just give up as soon as something doesn't go their way.

Looking at all the whining that goes on here, I'd say the latter explanation may be the correct one. 

[HOP4S]
Members
6,993 posts
35,404 battles
4 hours ago, BIueMoon said:

It's a game mate.  Not even close to a modern, naval warfare game anymore......it's a simple teen arcade shooter....

** Our host has be disassembling the entire game's infrastructure, self admittedly, to make everything simpler (so, even younger players can wander in with plastic money from Grandma and buy tier 14 superships Captained by alien space bats......) 

That ^^^^^ is the future of this mature game....   If your host was really serious about older player's wants:  

team damage would still be here and seriously enforced; 

all of the hit box geometry changes would be reverted and the skill tree reverted to what we had originally;

Carriers would be the RTS carriers and would have to "fight each other for air superiority first;  because, the other carrier will simply shoot your attack aircraft down BEFORE they even see your ships !); 

AA and flak ships designated and AA radar and munitions available by technology era (i.e.  Proximity only at the highest tiers...)

Sub's weapons would be technically graduated by era and there'd be "duds and lost" torpedoes in most tiers; 

there'd only be torpedo reloads for ships that actually could do that at sea (and, limited to one reload !); 

DD stealth and smoke remastered to make some sense;

Speaking of DD's:  BB and all ships secondaries and AA would be enhanced and would focus on closing DD's......no DD in real life could ever do what our DD's are doing now in PVE and in some cases, PVP play......

HE spam would be linked to barrel temperatures;  where,  the ship spamming would see serious dispersion grow every salvo beyond three till they ceased to fire (and, a cool down would be graduated to how far they were pushed); 

Radar on ships that actually carried radar (and, the era of seeing through Island would be over...) and, the ability to share location data beyond LOS era dependent (as comm tech increased over the years) ;

SONAR and other ASW tools introduced by era;

and, the big one is that I'd remove 60% of the Islands from all maps and Ocean map would be in KOTS......   We should not be World of Tanks on water....

And, KOTs would be an "open class" event and that means subs and carriers and ALL tiers should be available.........

There, you want a serious, First World naval shooter........do ^^^^^^  this.   Otherwise, it's being played by people "just having fun..."  :cap_like:

• Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

Hard to say which--suspect all of them are factors--but yeah, the gameplay at mid tiers is just embarrassing beyond words. I've had repeated triple subs per team there along with 3-4 dds, making for a mostly dull match with lot of sneaking around or get surprised torped. T8-10 matches seem to almost always include at least one skilled sub player.

Heck, every match with subs, hardly anyone will try for caps--all the reds must be down or driven off first. Campfest feels worse than ever.

• Thanks 1

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

Goes back to 2 weeks ago for me...  All too often I am on a weak side, DDs/CAs rush in and die as soon as possible, then flank get overrun.  Worse when I am trying to go up the British line in the Monarch which CAN'T hold a flank at all - especially by itself.  rarely my team gets the first kill or 2 then collapses suddenly.  In 2 weeks I have had 1 really good day - the rest has sucked and I am playing 2-3 games and then stopping.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles

The rapid acceleration towards the higher tiers somewhat has a direct correlation to our expectancy at said tiers. 

[FRFR]
Members
1,675 posts
9 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

I know what it is. If we had WWI or 1920s submarines at tier 4 it would make sense for it to be modeled on those. But we don't. Why is it on the Type VII, Cachalot, Type IX, Salmon, and especially Type XXI and the GUPPY refit Balao we have in the game? If it disappears in battle, that's less annoying, but it still looks really jarring and out of place when I can't find a single piece of reference material of any of those classes having such a thing fitted. It's especially odd on Balao and U-2501 considering the whole point of those designs was streamlining for underwater speed.

--Helms

It’s most likely a removable mast that fits into a hole in the deck while in port.  It would get removed and stored either belowdecks or in a specific storage slot. I found a picture of a modern ROKN sub with one.

10A48CA4-8F16-49F1-86AF-F52312A74F9B.jpeg

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

1 solid - good team today and after 4 games  - done for the day.  Total joke with another player on my team saying I was "hiding" except they missed everything before and after I was forced to turn toward an island.  Meanwhile, the team never tied to prevent a cap from being taken, didn't shoot DDs, had a group of about 4 players, including OTHER BBs, who did stay behind islands and ball up...  Total joke.

[WOLF9]
Members
90 posts
9,483 battles
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Looks like a typical bag-of-potatoes weekend match to me :cap_book:

6 hours ago, tm63au said:

Horrendous game play has be happening for well over 3 years maybe 5...

Wait a min...I started playing about 5 years ago...is that a coincidence? :cap_hmm: :Smile_unsure:

• Haha 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
13 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

4 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

It’s most likely a removable mast that fits into a hole in the deck while in port.  It would get removed and stored either belowdecks or in a specific storage slot. I found a picture of a modern ROKN sub with one.

Here is USS Guardfish SS-217 with one

The Ship Model Forum • View topic - Calling all Gato SS-212 class fans

It's a removable pole. Used while in port and removed when they move out.

In game the game we only see that while in-port as it is an effective way for players to see what flags, if any, are on the ship.

Once you are in battle, the sub flies no flags, nor is the pole present.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,355 posts
16,186 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

No, while the times are a little quick, as MM is designed, to get players into battle quickly, blowouts should be expected as the norm.

• Meh 1

Members
150 posts
2,565 battles

I just had three games in a row where my team melted in the first few minutes of the match. I am tilted and taking a break. You can't blame the patch or the MM for this. It is solely the player base's fault.

• Sad 1
  • Meh 1