You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Silvin

Why are acoustic homing torpedoes on key 2?

6 comments in this topic

[TSF]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
243 posts
19,649 battles

So today I played my U-190 and my torpedoes stopped short of the targets and did not follow the targets. It turns out that I had been playing DDs before that and instinctively pressed 3 to select torps, like I do on a DD. Key 3 selects the regular torpedoes but most subs use homing torpedoes. I think it would have been much smarter of WG to put the regular torps on the 2 slot and homing ones on the 3 slot so that it more closely mimics DDs and CAs.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is way to reorder the ammo, like we can for consumables (maybe there is something in ModStation, I have not looked).

[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles

It's been that way for as long as I can remember non-homing torpedoes being equipped on submarines.
1 = Ping
2 = Homing Torpedoes
3 = Dumbfire Torpedoes.

Every ship type has its' quirks.

[BONKS]
Members
4,827 posts
52 battles

If you want to compare sub keybinds to that of the other classes it makes much more sense to have unguided torps on 3 since most other ships also have their unguided torps on 3, thus I don't see how putting the homing torps on 3 is going to make things more intuitive.

Just pay attention to what torps you select. It'll get better with experience and eventually become second nature.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,928 posts
8,973 battles
2 hours ago, Silvin said:

So today I played my U-190 and my torpedoes stopped short of the targets and did not follow the targets. It turns out that I had been playing DDs before that and instinctively pressed 3 to select torps, like I do on a DD. Key 3 selects the regular torpedoes but most subs use homing torpedoes. I think it would have been much smarter of WG to put the regular torps on the 2 slot and homing ones on the 3 slot so that it more closely mimics DDs and CAs.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is way to reorder the ammo, like we can for consumables (maybe there is something in ModStation, I have not looked).

The issue is Tier Vi where the subs only have the homing torp option. Homing torp is the default 2, with dumbfire being alternate on 3. 

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,539 battles
10 hours ago, Silvin said:

…and homing ones on the 3 slot so that it more closely mimics DDs and CAs.

Which DDs and CAs have homing torps in the 3 slot?

• Cool 1

[DRY]
Members
663 posts
5,418 battles

Can you just remap your key binds? I know from (painful) experience that it’s possible to completely unmap your ability to fire your main battery guns.