Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Why Am I In Ocean Port ?

43 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,721
[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles

Its been 2 days ago since I played the game, basically 24 hours since I was in port.

My home port is generally Hamburg, I log in tonight and find myself out in the middle of the ocean, what the hell is going on here ?

Have I been hacked or is this some idea of a joke by WG ? 

 

shot-22_11.04_19_58.34-0887.thumb.jpg.db3851cefb2634839aeedd54bc21d5b0.jpg   

 

Looks like all my ships are here,Captains that is another story, hard to keep track of who's who and how many.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,456
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,665 posts
12,576 battles

Whenever a new port or a refurbished port is made/done, the game will automatically switch to that port.

 

It was supposed to be the refurbished Zipangu, but was later temporarily removed so that someone could put whiteout on something that was written in there :Smile_trollface:

 

Thus the default port seems to be Ocean  when Zipangu got removed

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26
[ALICE]
[ALICE]
Members
15 posts
11,471 battles

Zipangu port was removed due to the offensive slogans saying "IJN BANZAI!". Some guys from east Asia especially Chinese (the slogans were in Chinese characters) recommended WG to remove the flags.

However, WG simply removed the whole Zipangu port because of "technical reason", which also caused 3 hours down of NA server yesterday.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,721
[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
5 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Zipangu port was removed due to the offensive slogans saying "IJN BANZAI!". Some guys from east Asia especially Chinese (the slogans were in Chinese characters) recommended WG to remove the flags.

However, WG simply removed the whole Zipangu port because of "technical reason", which also caused 3 hours down of NA server yesterday.

 

The whole port WOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,722
[HOP4S]
Members
7,013 posts
35,512 battles

I never even saw those banners and I am an IJN main in this game....!  Good grief, remove the banners and return the port.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462
[PHD]
Members
2,236 posts
10,032 battles

Not in particular but in general. The Chinese seem to have an issue with Japan, not without reason. But Russia doesn't have an exactly Stirling history either.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,168
[WOLFG]
Members
17,141 posts
20,565 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

Its been 2 days ago since I played the game, basically 24 hours since I was in port.

My home port is generally Hamburg, I log in tonight and find myself out in the middle of the ocean, what the hell is going on here ?

Have I been hacked or is this some idea of a joke by WG ? 

 

shot-22_11.04_19_58.34-0887.thumb.jpg.db3851cefb2634839aeedd54bc21d5b0.jpg   

 

Looks like all my ships are here,Captains that is another story, hard to keep track of who's who and how many.

Patch day shifts you to port of the month.

And the port of the month was....................... a little tooooo historical?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,279
[NWNG]
Members
3,945 posts
6,144 battles
5 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Zipangu port was removed due to the offensive slogans saying "IJN BANZAI!". Some guys from east Asia especially Chinese (the slogans were in Chinese characters) recommended WG to remove the flags.

However, WG simply removed the whole Zipangu port because of "technical reason", which also caused 3 hours down of NA server yesterday.

 

Those Banners were there since the Port's introduction. Those banners were there during Public Testing. If there were going to be complaints, it would've occurred long before now, don't you think?

 

Also, Chinese characters in a Japanese themed Port? are you sure about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
583
[RPTN]
Beta Testers
1,849 posts
4,954 battles
1 hour ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Also, Chinese characters in a Japanese themed Port? are you sure about that?

There are a lot of traditional characters that overlap, and they can mean the same thing, or something completely different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
56 posts
17,934 battles
5 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Zipangu port was removed due to the offensive slogans saying "IJN BANZAI!". Some guys from east Asia especially Chinese (the slogans were in Chinese characters) recommended WG to remove the flags.

However, WG simply removed the whole Zipangu port because of "technical reason", which also caused 3 hours down of NA server yesterday.

I certainly would be confused if that were the case, because it would be interesting that one thread on this board represented the silent majority.

I've often read that we do not represent a typical cross section of this community.

Such an interesting week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,178
[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I never even saw those banners and I am an IJN main in this game....!  Good grief, remove the banners and return the port.  

Had to be opening a container in order to see them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
9 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Not in particular but in general. The Chinese seem to have an issue with Japan, not without reason. But Russia doesn't have an exactly Stirling history either.

Seem? You have a flair for understatement...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
385
[LWC]
Members
448 posts
951 battles
11 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Also, Chinese characters in a Japanese themed Port? are you sure about that?

It was Chinese characters, in a Chinese port, but saying long live the Japanese navy or something to that extent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,279
[NWNG]
Members
3,945 posts
6,144 battles
14 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

It was Chinese characters, in a Chinese port, but saying long live the Japanese navy or something to that extent. 

Not a chinese port. Zipangu was an independent island country, which was located 1,500 miles across the sea to the east of Catai (an alternative name for the Chinese continent). Zipangu, is literally the Chinese name, for Japan...

Edited by Counter_Gambit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,861
[TDRB]
Members
7,372 posts
16,186 battles
12 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Not in particular but in general. The Chinese seem to have an issue with Japan, not without reason. But Russia doesn't have an exactly Stirling history either.

 

2 hours ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Seem? You have a flair for understatement...

I would say so since they have not ended WW2 officially. The issue is the Kuril Islands. Japan took control of the Kuril Islands after defeating Russia in 1906. Russia's pride was hurt.

Russian & US relations also play a role in this dispute over the years.

While it is better, the Chinese haven't forgotten the Japanese war crimes committed during WW2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I would say so since they have not ended WW2 officially. The issue is the Kuril Islands. Japan took control of the Kuril Islands after defeating Russia in 1906. Russia's pride was hurt.

Russian & US relations also play a role in this dispute over the years.

While it is better, the Chinese haven't forgotten the Japanese war crimes committed during WW2.

Hoooooookay... Thanks I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

 

22 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Not a chinese port. Zipangu was an independent island country, which was located 1,500 miles across the sea to the east of Catai (an alternative name for the Chinese continent). Zipangu, is literally the Chinese name, for Japan...

It's interesting how closely related Chinese, Korean, and Japanese writing is. I've met many students from these countries and was always curious if they could understand each other's written language. Though spoken dialects can be quite divergent, even within a country, most Eastern Asians seem to be able to discern what writing that's come from one of the other countries is saying, at least if they are well versed in the Chinese character set. It's sort of the way a lot of English-speakers are with French. I  may not be able to pronounce a word in French but there has been so much French influence on the English language that I can usually decipher enough of the words in a passage written in French to get the gist of what's being said.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,279
[NWNG]
Members
3,945 posts
6,144 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

 

It's interesting how closely related Chinese, Korean, and Japanese writing is. I've met many students from these countries and was always curious if they could understand each other's written language. Though spoken dialects can be quite divergent, even within a country, most Eastern Asians seem to be able to discern what writing that's come from one of the other countries is saying, at least if they are well versed in the Chinese character set. It's sort of the way a lot of English-speakers are with French. I  may not be able to pronounce a word in French but there has been so much French influence on the English language that I can usually decipher enough of the words in a passage written in French to get the gist of what's being said.

how does that relate to Zipangu being a chinese name for Japan, and therefore Zipangu is a Japanese port, not a chinese one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,178
[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
Quote

"... In Japan, the fact that Marco Polo introduced Japan as Zipangu to Europe is well known, so that Zipangu is thought to be another name of Japan.  ..."

https://www.japanese-wiki-corpus.org/history/Zipangu.html
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
12 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

how does that relate to Zipangu being a chinese name for Japan, and therefore Zipangu is a Japanese port, not a chinese one...

Instead of my trying to explain something that I'm not extremely well-versed in, let me suggest this article on the subject. I just read it and it's quite interesting.

https://japanyugen.com/why-is-japan-called-japan/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[TO31]
Members
83 posts
7,340 battles
16 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Not in particular but in general. The Chinese seem to have an issue with Japan, not without reason. But Russia doesn't have an exactly Stirling history either.

China is not innocent with some of the things they have done either. none of the nations featured in game are innocent of atrocities 

Edited by TalladegaNight
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,364
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,928 posts
8,973 battles
5 hours ago, TalladegaNight said:

China is not innocent with some of the things they have done either. none of the nations featured in game are innocent of atrocities 

Yeah, take that burn you atrocious Canadians!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,178
[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
894
[CHA0S]
Members
693 posts
6,750 battles
2 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Yeah, take that burn you atrocious Canadians!

We are not guilt-free in Canada.  Ask David Suzuki.

All should be careful.  Political discussions are discouraged.  Discussions about political discussions are discouraged.

The conversations here have chilled in the past year.

Feels bad man.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×