You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Javamensch

Yamato/Kure Maritime Museum

6 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
9,649 posts
7,316 battles

Kind of surprising they wont just rebuild the 1:1 scale mockup of the Yamato.

post-768-1143686168.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
20,735 posts
22,656 battles
7 hours ago, Javamensch said:

Some changes and additions to the famed 'Yamato Museum in Kure, Hiroshima Prefecture.  (Feel free to move this to a more apt subforum)

Huge changes in store at Yamato battleship museum | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

:cap_book::cap_like:1429299792_Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.8f34a7996b0306e7965902bd74051bc5.jpg

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,800 posts
20,741 battles
On 11/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, Sventex said:

Kind of surprising they wont just rebuild the 1:1 scale mockup of the Yamato.

post-768-1143686168.jpg

most movie sets don't last all that long. Given that this was outdoors, exposed to the elements, blown up, and was set-up in a closed shipyard that is apparently back in business again, I'm not surprised it was removed.

It does appear alot of props from this set were put in the museum.

As for a full size replica, not sure the museum would have the funds or the will to build such a structure, or that such a structure would even be permitted to be built do to building codes. Note that the filmmakers were not allowed to build the famous pagoda tower of Yamato.

• Cool 1

[RNGR]
Members
30 posts
21,522 battles
On 11/4/2022 at 7:03 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

most movie sets don't last all that long. Given that this was outdoors, exposed to the elements, blown up, and was set-up in a closed shipyard that is apparently back in business again, I'm not surprised it was removed.

It does appear alot of props from this set were put in the museum.

As for a full size replica, not sure the museum would have the funds or the will to build such a structure, or that such a structure would even be permitted to be built do to building codes. Note that the filmmakers were not allowed to build the famous pagoda tower of Yamato.

Yes, the set was built right near the Kure Maritime museum. Awesome pic and double awesome they let visitors roam on the set!

Though Japanese are known for meticulous detail, I was surprised that the triple 25mm AA showed no recoil when firing on the film. I've noticed these subtle errors in other fantastic WW2 set pieces ('Eine no 0' -the torpedo launched into water appears off) and I wonder if this is nuanced messaging or allowed errors for junior/apprentices or just budget constraints. I've yet to see "the Great war of Archimides".

Edited by Javamensch
additions

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,800 posts
20,741 battles
On 11/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, Javamensch said:

Though Japanese are known for meticulous detail, I was surprised that the triple 25mm AA showed no recoil when firing on the film. I've noticed these subtle errors in other fantastic WW2 set pieces ('Eine no 0' -the torpedo launched into water appears off) and I wonder if this is nuanced messaging or allowed errors for junior/apprentices or just budget constraints. I've yet to see "the Great war of Archimides".

Come to think of it, the Japanese 25mm in 'Midway' (the 70s one not the recent one) mostly spat fire as well and didn't have any recoil. In 'Tora Tora Tora' several of the 5in AA guns did recoil.

Both Tora Tora Tora and Midway used 'prop' guns as well as footage from previous movies and even from the war itself.
Potentially, its an issue of Japanese law.