You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ChiefEngineman

Get repaid for a system crash

37 comments in this topic

[MEMO]
Members
86 posts
29,963 battles

So in mid game/ stream. My system crashes and get reported, i do get back in just before battle ends and get this do to new reporting system y'all implemented wonderful job!

shot-22.11.02_23.31.08-0999.jpg

shot-22.11.02_23.37.12-0575.jpg

Edited by ChiefEngineman
add screen shot
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Hmm... I need to test this in a Coop match. I'll set waypoints and then stop the game process and see if I can't re-enter the game before it stops to see what happens. My ship should fire at things while I'm gone with secondaries.

OK, back. My ship did only a couple hundred damage but I got back in just before the game ended and received no penalty.

Was your ship sunk during the time you were gone?

Did you actually get back to the game before it ended or did you only get back to see the post-battle screen?

[MEMO]
Members
86 posts
29,963 battles

No i was not sunk, yes i did get back in game before it ended. All on my VODS on twitch. Only thing I can think of, is someone reported me afk when my ship was just sitting there as i was trying to get back in. i even posted in battle chat when i got back in "sorry my system crashed"

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
12 minutes ago, ChiefEngineman said:

No i was not sunk, yes i did get back in game before it ended. All on my VODS on twitch. Only thing I can think of, is someone reported me afk when my ship was just sitting there as i was trying to get back in. i even posted in battle chat when i got back in "sorry my system crashed"

Reporting by players has nothing to do with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, it's an automatic system. It's interesting though that it probably negatively affects honest players more than it does the few dishonest ones.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[ARP]
Members
2,252 posts
21,461 battles
40 minutes ago, ChiefEngineman said:

Getting reported has nothing to do with it and it's also not a new issue. System stability issues that result in minor penalties like this are not really avoidable unless you can trouble shoot the problem with your system to minimize chances of it being repeated.

[-HUGS]
Members
972 posts
13,164 battles
56 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's interesting though that it probably negatively affects honest players more than it does the few dishonest ones.

Even worse: it could hurt the whole team. Why should a player try to get back after a crash, since he is not going to earn anything, anyways? Better move on to the next battle and not waste any time at this point.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
2 hours ago, ChiefEngineman said:

Twitch

After watching your Twitch video I may have found the issue. You did no damage after you rejoined the game. When I just played a Coop battle, my ship got in a couple of secondary hits after I rejoined and before the game ended. I wonder if the "conduct" system resets when you get kicked out of a game and then penalizes you after you come back in if you don't do any damage after that.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 hour ago, ChiefEngineman said:

crashed

I think I've figured it out -- you have to do damage after you get back to a game or you will receive the penalty. Damage accrued before your game/system crashed doesn't matter.

Here's what I just did.

• Entered a Coop match.
  • Turned off secondaries and AA so my ship would do no damage without me intentionally firing.

Edit: When I re-entered the match my secondaries were turned on! This must be the default setting? Therefore I did do a tiny bit of damage before I was sunk. Note the seven secondary hits.

shot-22_11.03_01_23.59-0516.thumb.jpg.41b544411e163142ade01fd4270808d6.jpg

• Did some damage.
  • Ended the game task.
  • Re-started the game.
  • Did no additional damage and touched no controls after I reentered the game.
  • My ship was sunk shortly after I rejoined but was still active for a little bit before that (see replay).
  • Received no penalty.

20221103_010356_PASB518-Massachusetts_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

shot-22.11.03_01.06.42-0013.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[KMS]
Members
133 posts
1,645 battles

I also experienced two crashes since the last upgrade. Fortunately they happened both when I was closing the game! 

I don't have a screenshot, but after I clicked Exit Game I got a little window informing me about the crash, with two buttons Restart and Terminate.

In game everything went normal though.

Edit: It just happened again:

image.png.e5efb89e36f693fa0948339bb0eee9ce.png

PS. Didn't happen with the Steam version, only with the PC one.

Edited by Talharu
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

OK, now it's getting even stranger now. I entered a Coop game, did some damage, then ended the WOWS task. But this time I didn't get back before the match ended. I ended up in Port. No replays were recorded and the post-battle reports were unavailable. However, the Port notifications showed that I received credits and XP for the match so I wasn't penalized for "unsportsmanlike conduct."

I could do more testing but the PVE people are already probably wondering what I'm up to so I'll call it a day now.

[P-T-P]
Members
86 posts
6,054 battles
3 hours ago, Talharu said:

I also experienced two crashes since the last upgrade. Fortunately they happened both when I was closing the game! 

I don't have a screenshot, but after I clicked Exit Game I got a little window informing me about the crash, with two buttons Restart and Terminate.

In game everything went normal though.

Edit: It just happened again:

image.png.e5efb89e36f693fa0948339bb0eee9ce.png

PS. Didn't happen with the Steam version, only with the PC one.

Yea Im getting this message every time I close the game. Well done WG

• Boring 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
52 minutes ago, rjc3095 said:

if you are getting errors, maybe you need to verify/check the game integrity.

Not everyone is crashing on exit.

• Cool 1

[P-T-P]
Members
86 posts
6,054 battles
42 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

if you are getting errors, maybe you need to verify/check the game integrity.

Not everyone is crashing on exit.

Already have but thanks for your input

[SCCC]
Members
12 posts
5,500 battles
8 hours ago, ChiefEngineman said:

So in mid game/ stream. My system crashes and get reported, i do get back in just before battle ends and get this do to new reporting system y'all implemented wonderful job!

shot-22.11.02_23.31.08-0999.jpg

shot-22.11.02_23.37.12-0575.jpg

yeah these reports WONT be open to abuse by people reporting CV's and subs willy nilly for no reason other than dislike......... at all @Ahskance

Edited by _MrMayhem
spelling

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Here's what I just did.

• Entered a Coop match.
  • Turned off secondaries and AA so my ship would do no damage without me intentionally firing.

Edit: When I re-entered the match my secondaries were turned on! This must be the default setting? Therefore I did do a tiny bit of damage before I was sunk. Note the seven secondary hits.

• Did some damage.
  • Ended the game task.
  • Re-started the game.
  • Did no additional damage and touched no controls after I reentered the game.
  • My ship was sunk shortly after I rejoined but was still active for a little bit before that (see replay).
  • Received no penalty.

20221103_010356_PASB518-Massachusetts_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

secondary damage and plane kills do not count, so you would still get unsportsmanlike if they did the damage

[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles
2 hours ago, rjc3095 said:

I am  getting it often as well.  Also, if I leave the game on for an extended period of time it will eventually crash.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[ARGSY]
Members
31,064 posts
29,291 battles

@Ahskance:

What happened to the OP is clearly wrong and broken. I can accept that the AFK need to be slapped, but this guy did a hundred thousand damage to ships that the game recorded despite the crash. That shouldn't attract a penalty.

I think the penalty system needs some tweaks and to have some hard-check flags inserted: IF KILLS > 0 OR DMG > 0 OR CAPTURE POINTS > 0 THEN NO PENALTY or however the code gets written. 

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFX]
Members
199 posts
1,537 battles

Not sure what is going on in OP's case, but I think that any leaver should probably get a penalty of some kind if you wanted to keep it simple, at least loss of rewards for the match.  A more nuanced system could look at whether the leaver's team won the game and what their level of contribution was to that win and only penalize poor performing players who leave, or players who leave multiple games per week or a certain percentage of games (1/100 or higher?) or something.

Edited by fuchsJaeger

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

secondary damage and plane kills do not count, so you would still get unsportsmanlike if they did the damage

Unless it's changed in the last week, secondary damage still counts for surface ships. I did a test where I set BB on an autopilot route and let it only do secondary damage recently and it suffered no penalty. Now, on the on the other hand, secondary damage doesn't count for CVs, they must do damage from plane-launched ordinance. Was this changed in the latest patch?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Unless it's changed in the last week, secondary damage still counts for surface ships. I did a test where I set BB on an autopilot route and let it only do secondary damage recently and it suffered no penalty. Now, on the on the other hand, secondary damage doesn't count for CVs, they must do damage from plane-launched ordinance. Was this changed in the latest patch?

well that doesn't make sense, i thought secondaries never counted...  but i maybe wrong.