You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
clmrone111

USS Kidd

9 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
2 hours ago, clmrone111 said:

Anyone else seen this new video about the USS Kidd being high and dry?  :cap_wander:

From the vegetation growth that ship has been "high and dry" for some time. I can relate to the lack of water in the river. I live in the far west of the Mississippi River Drainage System and one of the major tributaries of the Mississippi here has been dry for some time, as are its two major tributaries. We have had about ten inches of rain in two years in an area that once got at least 17 inches a year.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,916 posts
8,973 battles
9 hours ago, clmrone111 said:

Anyone else seen this new video about the USS Kidd being high and dry?  :cap_wander:

From memory she sits on supports all the time, but the river rises and lowers around her. I don't think she actually floats when the river is up, which stops her floating off in bad weather. 

Edit: My bad. See below. 

Edited by HyperFish

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
47 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

From memory she sits on supports all the time, but the river rises and lowers around her. I don't think she actually floats when the liver is up, which stops her floating off in bad weather. 

If you do an online search you can see the ship at various water levels. I suppose they've calculated the support height needed for an average flood too.  During the flood of 2016, the museum was closed for a short time but that was only because traffic was rerouted due to an evacuation shelter being set up across the street from it. There was no flood damage to the museum.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,916 posts
8,973 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

If you do an online search you can see the ship at various water levels. I suppose they've calculated the support height needed for an average flood too.  During the flood of 2016, the museum was closed for a short time but that was only because traffic was rerouted due to an evacuation shelter being set up across the street from it. There was no flood damage to the museum.

When you're right, you're right.

From: https://www.usskidd.com/ship-tour/approaching-the-ship/

If you are visiting during the latter part of the year, you will see the KIDD sitting high and dry in her cradle. This unique design allows her to compensate for the seasonal rise and fall of the Mississippi River each year. The water level of the Mississippi in Baton Rouge can vary as much as 40 feet each year!!! Each spring when the snow melts in the Rocky Mountains, the Appalachians, and throughout the Midwest, the resulting waters flow into the river systems and empty into the Mississippi River. The added rainfall of the spring does the same. As a result, the waters of the Mississippi rise until the KIDD lifts off of her cradle and floats at her mooring. When summer comes, the rainfall up north slackens, the river falls, and the KIDD sits back down in her cradle, drydocked for another year until spring comes again.

It's unique. Most ships seem to be perm floating or perm drydocked. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
5 hours ago, brewakeg said:

Been seasonally high and dry for awhile.   My Dad in 1983:

AllenVonOldPhotos006.jpg

And people in this game think of destroyers as "little" ships.

• Haha 1

[AN2AC]
Members
393 posts
12,312 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

And people in this game think of destroyers as "little" ships.

depends what you are comparing against.

See the source image