You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wolfswetpaws

My first sail in an Agano.

20 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles

Found this tidbit, just by mousing-around in my Port screen.
The Yahagi is an Agano class cruiser.

image_2022-11-02_112959724.thumb.png.dfe115dac851a493b188f9481c969f2a.png

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
55 posts
8,648 battles

Have you played both? How do they compare? Yahagi seems the better ship from the stats with better conceal, speed boost, and gun range. I admit I have never dared take my Yahagi into a random, I'm not that great a player and it seems to need a high skill level to do okay. I might do so today just for giggles.

Edited by CoffeeandChaos
Correcting an oops

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
2 hours ago, CoffeeandChaos said:

Have you played both? How do they compare? Yahagi seems the better ship from the stats with better conceal, speed boost, and gun range. I admit I have never dared take my Yahagi into a random, I'm not that great a player and it seems to need a high skill level to do okay. I might do so today just for giggles.

The Agano and the Yahagi seem to maneuver like each other and have the same torpedo-launching arcs.
The Yahagi has more consumables in its' bag-of-tricks, and has "premium ship" status, while the Agano is currently in "early access" status and expected to become "tech-tree" in the future.

The Agano does not come with permanent camouflage, and one has not yet been made available for it.  One can purchase an "economic bonus" package for it, though.

Of the two, the Yahagi is the better ship because of the perks that come with being a premium ship.
If a person has neither, and has some (4,300) doubloons to spare, then the Yahagi is a fun ship that can also be used for "Captain Training" purposes.
https://armory.worldofwarships.com/en/category/ships
If a person has Yahagi already, then there's no rush to welcome the Agano.  She'll become "tech-tree" soon enough and can be "collected like a Pokemon (gotta catch 'em all)" at one's convenience.

As a member of the "Collector's Club" and a person with extra Commanders in my Port (who are looking for ships to sail), these new Japanese ships suit my purposes.
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/177016-world-of-warships-collectors-club/

They're fun in Co-op battles and I would be willing to say "Challenge Accepted" with them in random battles.  
I don't expect them to have a lot of "carry potential", but they're interesting and different enough to offer some variation on "the usual".

The main-gun reload time isn't quick, and the ballistics are somewhat "floaty".  Which offers some "shoot over an island" potential, but the trade-off is the long reload and projectile flight-time.

Hope that helps.  :-)

• Thanks 3

[ERK]
Members
958 posts
14,992 battles

Played one battle in Coop and immediately thought the ship is bad enough that Hawkins/Emerald/Montecuccoli players are going to be like... :Smile_trollface:

I don't particularly recall Yahagi being a well-liked ship so I can't see Agano getting much respect either.

Edited by Superczar

[GUNBT]
Members
14 posts
3,808 battles
3 hours ago, Superczar said:

Played one battle in Coop and immediately thought the ship is bad enough that Hawkins/Emerald/Montecuccoli players are going to be like... :Smile_trollface:

I don't particularly recall Yahagi being a well-liked ship so I can't see Agano getting much respect either.

I tend to agree based on my first Random Battle. I do not know the Yahagi to offer a comparison. Too early to tell, and I admit that I played her too aggressively. Seems like a paper ship and I will have to learn to work within its limitations and work to happen upon her merits.

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
8 hours ago, Superczar said:

V Furutaka
V Yahagi Doubloons
V Agano

V Emerald
V Hawkins
V Exeter Doubloons

VI Leander

V Raimondo Montecuccoli
V Genova Doubloons

Personally, I'm a fan of the Raimondo Montecuccoli. 
I like her speed and maneuvering and I enjoy sailing the Italian Cruisers, in general, and the Raimondon Montecuccoli in particular, to their limits (like a rented Ferrari stolen from the guy who rented it).
That said, her torpedoes have left me disappointed on a number of occasions because they struggle to sink a BB.  They do have good launching arcs, though.

Whether or not one plays in randoms or co-op battles will matter when comparing & evaluating these ships. 
It's easier to get within secondary-battery range while playing in Co-op battles and the torpedoes' performance becomes more relevant there than in random battles.

The Yahagi trades some torpedo warhead damage in exchange for it's consumable suite, it seems, because the Agano's torpedo warheads pack a bigger wallop.
The Raimondo Montecuccoli's torpedoes aren't even close, and there are fewer of them in each launcher.
The British ships fare better, but aren't able match the IJN warheads' performance and their hulls are unable to match the top-speed of the IJN or the Italians. 
So, "trade-offs", again.  :-)

[COOP2]
Members
565 posts
12,046 battles

Looking at the stats they are practically identical. I'd say Yahagi seems a little better because of better gun range, much faster rudder shift, and speed boost. The extra gun range on Yahagi probably isn't too useful most of the time as the shells during the last kilometer of range are very slow and floaty, good for only hitting a slow battleship from my experience.

The big question I have is are Agano's torpedo angles as bad as Yahagi's. Before Agano came along the Yahagi had the hardest hitting torpedoes at tier 5 and they probably gave Yahagi the bad angles to "balance" the damage and range they have.I don't have Agano (yet) but with the heavier hitting torpedoes my guess is she has the bad torpedo angles too.

16 hours ago, CoffeeandChaos said:

I admit I have never dared take my Yahagi into a random

I did for a handful of battles. She is VERY vulnerable. First several games I played too passively as I was worried about her fragility and I didn't have much impact on the battles. Last battle I had a few days ago was 41k with 2 kills when I was bottom tier so I was starting to find the right balance with her. This is true of every tier 5 cruiser, especially for Yahagi and Agano, and that is trying to balance being aggressive enough to have an impact but not too aggressive and getting deleted too soon. That is NOT easy.

Advice I had seen recently said the biggest mistake people playing mid tier cruiser make is playing too aggressively, especially at the start of the battle. It is one of the reasons I like Furutaka as she has more health than other tier 5 cruisers and if handled well in a number of situations she can be surprisingly tanky.

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles
14 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

same torpedo-launching arcs

The word "arc" hardly seems to apply.

All new boats with "fixed" tubes have much better arcs.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

The word "arc" hardly seems to apply.

The nomenclature is correct, even if you're not satisfied with how user-friendly the arcs are.

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles
16 minutes ago, Ironshroud said:

It is one of the reasons I like Furutaka as she has more health than other tier 5 cruisers and if handled well in a number of situations she can be surprisingly tanky.

She has enough armor that she can actually bounce some pretty big shells when bow in. Agano has just enough armor to make sure all the AP shells hitting her will arm.

Furrytaco also has pretty good torp angles. I'd trade a lot of the Agano's torp range for those torp angles.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

She has enough armor that she can actually bounce some pretty big shells when bow in. Agano has just enough armor to make sure all the AP shells hitting her will arm.

Furrytaco also has pretty good torp angles. I'd trade a lot of the Agano's torp range for those torp angles.

So, play them all (the tier-5 Cruisers) and decide which ones work for you.

It's not always about which is "better".  Sometimes using the same ship all the time is boring, and some variety adds spice to life and a little extra challenge to invigorate one's enjoyment of play.  :-)

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles
6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The nomenclature is correct, even if you're not satisfied with how user-friendly the arcs are.

Hard pressed to find anything about the Agano/Yahagi that can be considered user-friendly. You have to work to make the ship work.

• Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles
1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So, play them all (the tier-5 Cruisers) and decide which ones work for you.

I loved my Furrytaco and was reluctant to move "up" to the Aoba. It has declined a bit since it now faces more overmatch guns and general power creep.

I have the Yahagi and have never found it "fun" to play. Can't see the Agano being much of an improvement.

I just don't play T5s that much anymore. Maybe I should go back and see if the fun is still there.

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I just don't play T5s that much anymore. Maybe I should go back and see if the fun is still there.

The fun is within us, waiting to be shared.

• Cool 2

[COOP2]
Members
565 posts
12,046 battles
25 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I agree 100%. That is one of the tactics I like to use in Furutaka, bouncing Battleship AP shells off her deck when bow in, especially since when bow in most shells will miss due to dispersion. And her torpedo angles are so comfortable compared to the vast majority of IJN cruisers.... I think she's still a good ship.

[CVA16]
Members
8,874 posts
27,090 battles

On the other hand, somebody must be doing well in Yahagi. By ship stats it is one of the top  T5 cruisers (Agano is top with a perfect WR but only 12 games so...). 

Probably the case that only those that can do well in the ship, play the ship while the Taco is a step on the IJN ladder that must be played by all that are climbing that ladder.

Taco has 31x the number of Yahagi games played so the influence of unicum players is pretty watered down.

[GUNBT]
Members
14 posts
3,808 battles
On 11/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, Ironshroud said:

I did for a handful of battles. She is VERY vulnerable. First several games I played too passively as I was worried about her fragility and I didn't have much impact on the battles. Last battle I had a few days ago was 41k with 2 kills when I was bottom tier so I was starting to find the right balance with her. This is true of every tier 5 cruiser, especially for Yahagi and Agano, and that is trying to balance being aggressive enough to have an impact but not too aggressive and getting deleted too soon. That is NOT easy.

Advice I had seen recently said the biggest mistake people playing mid tier cruiser make is playing too aggressively, especially at the start of the battle. It is one of the reasons I like Furutaka as she has more health than other tier 5 cruisers and if handled well in a number of situations she can be surprisingly tanky.

^^^

After a few battles, this (Ironshroud's) has been my experience as well. Quickly went from meh to fun in Co-Op. 20220904075841_1.thumb.jpg.61dd6aa201b3dbddadecb82a43c40389.jpg

Not a lot  of tricks and have to be careful of the range. Wish concealment were a bit better to fire from stealth. But can kite in ok. I feel she has more to offer. Not a star but I hope it will be serviceable at tier V.  Keep in mind I'm not the most experienced player ... YMMV. I would not burden my team just yet by taking her to Random, but I suspect in skilled hands she will hold her own.

Plus it will be on the tech tree so us intermediate level players are gonna get her at some point!

Edit: I've now seen Agano in Random by others. I'd be curious to hear other's opinions as they rack up some experience. I think of her as more of a support ship. Torpedo from a safe location, ASW against subs. Also, what build are you using? What is most effective upgrades? I assume main battery for slot 1. What are you using for slot 2 and slot 3?

Edited by Mogul260
update

[COOP2]
Members
565 posts
12,046 battles
On 11/3/2022 at 2:04 PM, Mogul260 said:

I've now seen Agano in Random by others. I'd be curious to hear other's opinions as they rack up some experience. I think of her as more of a support ship. Torpedo from a safe location, ASW against subs. Also, what build are you using? What is most effective upgrades? I assume main battery for slot 1. What are you using for slot 2 and slot 3?

Glad it's been working out well for you so far. I also think of her more as a support ship, especially if uptiered.

My Yahagi (close enough to Agano) for upgrades has main armaments 1, engine room protection, and aiming systems 1.

I think you get more mileage out of engine room protection than damage con 1 due to her fragility (I've tried both) and there isn't much point to use engine boost mod (it's only 8% speed boost) or hydro mod in that slot. Aiming systems made the most sense in slot 2 due to the low number of IJN 152mm guns being less accurate than the IJN 203mm guns. Torpedo tubes isn't a bad idea, just not as good of an idea in my opinion. I can see someone using main battery 2 instead of aiming systems because of the slow turrets, AND pairing that with grease the gears because her turrets are quite slow for how much she needs to maneuver. You will need at least one of those two as her turrets are just too slow as is.

First 10 skill points (I think of deciding the first 10 points as being more critical than the last 11 points) in order for how I would use her should be: Grease the gears, priority target, adrenaline rush, concealment.

Engine room protection will mitigate (to some extent) waiting to the 11th point to pick last stand. Then beyond that it depends on your preference, but I would at least get fill the tubes to help with the slow torpedo reload.

I would NOT get heavy HE. You need all the concealment you can get and it's not worth the trade off.

You may want to go with IFHE after you get past 11 points. I don't use it on tier 5 light cruisers (I can discuss reasoning at another time), but it's a pretty good choice.

• Cool 1

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,101 posts
5,173 battles

Just turned in tokens for the Agano (hey, free ship I can sell later). The biggest difference I can see vs Yahagi is that Agano looks like it sits a bit lower in the water. That's about it.

--Helms