You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Hartz

IJN light cruisers. whats the point?

45 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
20 posts
3,887 battles

From everything I have seen they are flops for the devs. Huge citadels, Slow, can barely turn, small caliber guns with high reload. Only decent thing about them > decent torps and AA. This just looks like a waste of effort developing lol. This offers a new ship for us but it promises frustration and extremely high reliance on RNG for these ships to have an average to lower performance compared to all other ships. Big disappointment. How do you even call these things light cruisers? small guns and weak armor, big super structure, SLOW = "IGN Light cruiser" - Some dev from WG. What clowns that gave this ship its stats and capabilitys. 

Edited by Lord_Hartz
addition
  • Cool 7
  • Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,701 posts
26,569 battles

Yeah these Gapanese cruisers look bad.

Wait, what?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,532 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Wait, what?

Guam.

Or is it Iguana?

[HOP4S]
Members
6,966 posts
35,288 battles
10 minutes ago, Lord_Hartz said:

From everything I have seen they are flops for the devs. Huge citadels, Slow, can barely turn, small caliber guns with high reload. Only decent thing about them > decent torps and AA. This just looks like a waste of effort developing lol. This offers a new ship for us but it promises frustration and extremely high reliance on RNG for these ships to have an average to lower performance compared to all other ships. Big disappointment. How do you even call these things light cruisers? small guns and weak armor, big super structure, SLOW = "IGN Light cruiser" - Some dev from WG. What clowns that gave this ship its stats and capabilitys. 

Ah..........to make money from ship collectors....  This will go on ad nauseum till we see E and PT Boats, frigates and corvairs on pontoons with torpedoes.......

It seems our host is flat out of new content ideas, so they are experts at:  cloning; duplicating; copying; and, most importantly, recycling to include nerf'ing.    That is all that is left.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,781 posts
20,682 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

Wait, what?

19 minutes ago, Utt_Buggly said:

Guam.

Or is it Iguana?

Imperial Guyana Navy?

Imperial Georgian Navy?

• Boring 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,781 posts
20,682 battles
33 minutes ago, Lord_Hartz said:

How do you even call these things light cruisers? small guns and weak armor, big super structure, SLOW = "IGN Light cruiser" - Some dev from WG.

becuase if they had 'big guns' they would be Heavy Cruisers.

• Thanks 2

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
6,710 battles

The IJN CLs exist to make Zao look good and justify not buffing it

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
650 posts
3,079 battles

They're paper ships with paper thin armor
GG WG

Edited by Elijah2159

[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles
51 minutes ago, Lord_Hartz said:

Some dev from WG. What clowns that gave this ship its stats and capabilitys. 

Believe it or not, there was a small, dedicated group of fans that actually wanted a Japanese light cruiser line - this despite the fact that with the exception of Mogami's temporary 155mm fit, there was nothing above Tier 5 (at best) to justify it historically. So Wargaming gave them a Japanese light cruiser line, but I suspect it's understating the matter to say that what we're getting is not what those people wanted. 

• Boring 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,168 posts
9,044 battles

I would have rather had a line of Tone line ships instead of Japanese light cruisers as that line would have been super useful and would have acted as a decent counter to the American battleship cv coming into the game soon. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,089 posts
20,381 battles

Gap.

When someone shoots the citadel on these things, there's a gap between the fore half and aft half of the ship.

I have enough slow loading cruisers.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,532 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

… there was nothing above Tier 5 (at best) to justify it historically. …

Whatever pang of conscience such a point raised, it was both raised and razed with the delivery of the WoWs Russian Navy.

Edited by Utt_Buggly
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles
7 minutes ago, Utt_Buggly said:

Whatever pang of conscience such a point raised, was both raised and razed with the delivery of the WoWs Russian Navy.

Yeah, but they were playing to the home crowd on that one. I eventually figured don't get angry, get even and grind Russians, although to this day I still don't quite know what I'm doing wrong in Sinop for all the reputation it has.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,956 posts
18,532 battles
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, but they were playing to the home crowd on that one.

Gotta grant that point there. Gotta cater to the torches & pitchforks, or the Molotov cocktails & sickles, whatever the case may be.

32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

…although to this day I still don't quite know what I'm doing wrong in Sinop for all the reputation it has.

It’s a “stiff” ship - can’t turn, turrets can’t rotate. Makes it hard to do things right in it -for me, anyway.

Edited by Utt_Buggly
Typos

[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles
1 minute ago, Utt_Buggly said:

or the Molotov cocktails & sickles, whatever the case nay be.

I once read a very entertaining piece of vampire fiction (Brian Lumley's Necroscope series) in which a guy wearing Soviet military uniform (for various reasons) is exiled into an alternate dimension ruled by vampires. They take one look at the symbols on his clothing and conclude that he belongs to an organization of vampire hunters - the hammer to drive the stake in, the sickle to take off the head. 

[NMKJT]
Members
4,272 posts
9,133 battles
31 minutes ago, Utt_Buggly said:

Whatever pang of conscience such a point raised, was both raised and razed with the delivery of the WoWs Russian Navy.

It's one thing to make paper ships, but another to make paper ships that have little to no redeeming value. Really just the content shovel at this point.

21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, but they were playing to the home crowd on that one. I eventually figured don't get angry, get even and grind Russians, although to this day I still don't quite know what I'm doing wrong in Sinop for all the reputation it has.

1 minute ago, Utt_Buggly said:

It’s a “stiff” ship - can’t turn, turrets can’t rotate. Make it hard to do thing right in it -for me, anyway.

Sinop doesn't feel good to sail or fight from, I actually hated playing it even though it was overtuned for tier. But for all that, it is also no fun to fight against. It kills so much of the joy of tier 7 that way.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
11,565 battles

*incoming sake-infused copium*

Other than Agano, these ships have as much in common with historical IJN as Twlight Sparkle does with Secretariat.  But don't you worry, I'll just yolo-torp drive them like everything else.

*Raises a toast to Mikuma, Suzuya, and Kumano

*hic

• Haha 1

[DOG]
Members
153 posts
17,536 battles
29 minutes ago, Utt_Buggly said:

or the Molotov cocktails & sickles,

Molotov cocktails are Finnish - used against the invading Soviets. Molotov was the Soviet foreign minister at the time.

• Thanks 2

Members
541 posts
10,627 battles

Much like the Japanese navy i have very little interest in these ships, unless your a extremely good player i can't see these ships doing well at higher tiers.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,982 posts
10,529 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Believe it or not, there was a small, dedicated group of fans that actually wanted a Japanese light cruiser line - this despite the fact that with the exception of Mogami's temporary 155mm fit, there was nothing above Tier 5 (at best) to justify it historically. So Wargaming gave them a Japanese light cruiser line, but I suspect it's understating the matter to say that what we're getting is not what those people wanted. 

In fairness, many of us that wanted it were hoping for more 140mm and 155mm guns. It could even have been simple "reverse turret swaps" that would make copies of the heavy cruisers with 155s and that would have been acceptable to many of us. Imagine Zao with quad 155s, that's more what I had in mind.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,019 posts
29,201 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

In fairness, many of us that wanted it were hoping for more 140mm and 155mm guns. It could even have been simple "reverse turret swaps" that would make copies of the heavy cruisers with 155s and that would have been acceptable to many of us. Imagine Zao with quad 155s, that's more what I had in mind.

Oh for sure. In fact this is more or less what I'd imagined they WOULD do, and I was as surprised as anyone else when I saw the end result. 

What to do about the CL Zao was probably the stumbling block to taking this track, since once you have an Ibuki with 155mm Mogami turrets, CL Zao with four quads only adds one more gun with exactly the same range and rate of fire extensions available in slot six. So you have to go above and beyond with either range or rate of fire to differentiate them, and then what are you going to do when (because we know it's not if) it eventually comes time to add a supership on top of that? Copy-paste the CL Zao with a reload booster? That's probably not going to fly.

In that context, I can sort of imagine them going along that track initially, realizing they were going to have issues of progression and continuity once they hit the top, and concluding that it was better (and more indicative of having made an effort) to cook up something completely new. We're probably never going to find out, of course, but that's just my surmise. 

[NWNG]
Members
3,921 posts
6,095 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

becuase if they had 'big guns' they would be Heavy Cruisers.

And if they have massive guns, they would be Battlecruisers.

sorry couldn't resist oneupmanship on that one.:Smile_teethhappy:

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,267 battles
2 hours ago, Riminisky said:

Molotov cocktails are Finnish - used against the invading Soviets. Molotov was the Soviet foreign minister at the time.

Yep. Named after Molotov insisted that the Russians weren't bombing Finnish cities during the Winter War but were instead dropping bread to starving Finns. So the cocktails were 'to go with the bread' and the cluster incendiary bombs the Russians were dropping on Finnish cities got named Molotov bread baskets.