You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Slayer

Wolfpack Operation question

9 comments in this topic

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,808 posts
20,779 battles

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen.

There have been several times that the Saipan's Depth Charge plane has gone out and 'bombed' me.

I'm not having an issue with the ones where I was spotted, either by aircraft or by the DD's hydro.

The question I have is several times I have been unspotted, but in range of the CV and the plane has come out and hit me.

A few times I was 'damaged' and leaking fuel, so I'm curious if the bot is bombing the oil slick. But here have been a few times where I was close, never spotted, and yet the plane still came out and bombed me.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'd attach a replay, but the last example I had was mis-filed and the game count auto erased it.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,808 posts
20,779 battles
15 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Did you ping?

not that I recall.

One of the times I was in the Russian Sub at periscope depth firing the 'dumb' torps.

[SALVO]
Members
16,503 posts
10,225 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

not that I recall.

One of the times I was in the Russian Sub at periscope depth firing the 'dumb' torps.

The Airstrike will prompt at any hint of your existence. Pings, Oil slicks. But bots are wonky, once I got one shot at my sunken ship a full minute after being sunk. So who knows for sure....

[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
20 minutes ago, Grantwhy said:

Yes, the CV auto ASW will attack oil slicks.

from Dev Blog https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/367

image.thumb.png.7ab8c67247a766f55f88b85f0eb586fa.png

There will be a news article that says the same thing, but I look for stuff like this easier in the Dev Blog :Smile-_tongue:

+1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,808 posts
20,779 battles

The submarine will have the opportunity to evade the attack if evasive maneuvers are taken at the right time.

Except the bot have that wonderful bot aiming.

I can fire torps in that op, then sail 90 degree from the torp track in either direction at full speed, send out a single ping, and still get hit by that depth charge plane from the Saipan, even though the charge is dropped in my wake. Despite sailing away from where I pinged, the depth charge will still drop close enough to cause damage, and an oil slick, which in turn gets a follow up attack.

[WPORT]
Members
20,793 posts
22,691 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Except the bot have that wonderful bot aiming.

I can fire torps in that op, then sail 90 degree from the torp track in either direction at full speed, send out a single ping, and still get hit by that depth charge plane from the Saipan, even though the charge is dropped in my wake. Despite sailing away from where I pinged, the depth charge will still drop close enough to cause damage, and an oil slick, which in turn gets a follow up attack.

Remaining undetected helps.
To remain undetected involves positioning and awareness of ships & aircraft, based on my experiences in the Wolfpack Operation.

Mister Miyagi - "Best block, no be there." 
Which, in Wolfpack, involves *knowing* one's detection radius and ensuring that one keeps red-team ships outside of that radius and dives (in a timely maner) to avoid red-team planes.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,808 posts
20,779 battles
28 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Remaining undetected helps.
To remain undetected involves positioning and awareness of ships & aircraft, based on my experiences in the Wolfpack Operation.

Mister Miyagi - "Best block, no be there." 
Which, in Wolfpack, involves *knowing* one's detection radius and ensuring that one keeps red-team ships outside of that radius and dives (in a timely maner) to avoid red-team planes.

I agree

In the 'testing' phase, my usual mode of operation was to fire off the torps at a target, then change course 90 degrees from their track before sending out a ping. Most players assumed I was still bow on to them, and bombed accordingly, not knowing I was actually further to the right or left of the point I pinged, thus they typically bombed my wake.

But the Bots don't seem to do that, especially Saipan. Instead, the Saipan's bomber seem to fly directly at my location and not the location I pinged from. Add in the power of that single depth charge, you are instantly going to have to DC, or you leave behind an oil trail for further targeting.

• Thanks 1