You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

should i get a sub????

40 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
7,358 posts
16,186 battles

I'm not interested in playing subs, in fact, I think they lower the game's "fun factor". I feel the same way about CVs & I have 6 of them. All were gifts or rewards.

You ask why would I even consider getting a sub. Every now & then we have a mission a CV is the best option. While I can't think of any, the same may be true for subs.

A thought to ponder for a few moments

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-GF-]
Beta Testers
1,291 posts
12,909 battles

anything a sub can do a DD can do better
Just subs are not cool and just ruin the fun with the constant pings

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
746 posts
9,308 battles

I have 3, will have 5 (edit: 6)when the patch rolls over. If you do, the IJN ones are the best being DDs that can hide underwater. Americans have long range dumb torps so you can play them like torp boat DDs too. The German ones are just bow in ping and homing torp spamers, the least fun to play/play against, but also have the longest underwater time

Edited by Forgotten_Void

[WOLFH]
Members
1,124 posts
6,419 battles

I got one if only to try the new sub-related operation. Not sure if’ll ever grind those lines though.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,498 posts
8,467 battles
12 minutes ago, Copperhead550 said:

Problem with this will be when WG makes a mission that REQUIRES a sub. And they will.

16 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I have thought of this as well. I'm going with the wait and see attitude. I have a few T6 TT CV's because of this. I may do the same with subs if I feel the result of the hypothetical mission is worth it.

Edited by SkullCowboy_60

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
13 minutes ago, Copperhead550 said:

Unless WG keeps locking missions/chains behind having a sub.

But personally I have said NO

Edited by Sabot_100

[SALVO]
Members
16,451 posts
10,192 battles
18 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I'm not interested in playing subs, in fact, I think they lower the game's "fun factor". I feel the same way about CVs & I have 6 of them. All were gifts or rewards.

You ask why would I even consider getting a sub. Every now & then we have a mission a CV is the best option. While I can't think of any, the same may be true for subs.

Even if you are not interested in playing Subs, they'll be playing with you. The best way to learn the true capabilities of a ship and how to counter it is to play it, if you are interested in adapting and surviving an environment with Submarines in it, it would be a smart idea to get acquainted with the basics of Sub gameplay yourself. 

Outside of that, they are free stuff. No reason to not have something for free. 

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 2

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles
18 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

While I can't think of any, the same may be true for subs.

In the future, I'm sure it will.

Missions like "Over any number of battles, get X ribbons of any kind" could easily be accomplished by ping ping pinging in co-op, because every ping hit gives a ribbon regardless of whether you can get any torps to hit. 

It's worth having as a tool with which to do a job that other tools in your toolbox can't do. Beyond that, there's no obligation to go chasing the lines.

Members
129 posts
3,624 battles

If you want exciting edge-of-your-seat gameplay, grab a sub. If you want to be able to scroll though facebook on your phone while playing, grab a BB...

Seriously, subs are hard...so many tactical considerations. I think of it as a DD with levels (each level...surface, periscope, etc...plays differently).

Edited by SnappyBlueShorts

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

i got one for the op, hoping that at least the op might be more representative of reality.. but nope its fast and furious meets subs...

not had a good time of it in the op with u69, but i may keep trying.

[WOLF8]
Members
9,260 posts
7,537 battles

Personally speaking, if you have enough tokens, then I think it would NOT be a bad idea to grab the two Tier VI ones (U-69 and Cachalot). Whenever there are some missions that specifically require certain ship types from certain nations, those two subs can help you do some of them, even if it means sailing the botes in Coop only. Plus, if the Wolfpack Operation ends up staying permanently, there's something for you to try whenever you feel like trying something different. Additionally, as someone else has already mentioned, playing the subs yourself may teach you how they really work, which can help you learn how to deal with them. Just saying. :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,540 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I hate subs and what they have done to the game. That said, I understand where you are coming from and is the reason I own a few carriers even though I am disgusted with what Wargaming did to them with the rework. It isn't an awful idea to have a sub to use for missions. For instance I use my carriers for shooting down plane missions, spotting missions and of course, snowflake events. That is it, they are just there to fill a need to grind out rewards.  I am just going to wait until I see what kind of missions there are for subs going forward before I commit. Besides I fully expect to eventually pull one from a Christmas crate or super container once they get tossed into those. Waiting seems prudent before spending resources on something you know you have zero interest in playing except to do easier missions.

Edited by Taylor3006

[TXC]
Beta Testers
238 posts
17,704 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

yes

Members
1,172 posts
7,866 battles

I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t at least try them in their current form. The same people that won’t use them cry how OP they are. A well played sub with support can have as much impact as a CV. In the early stages of a new ship type release, choosing not to learn them is choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage. But to each their own.

• Thanks 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,540 battles
18 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

I don’t understand why someone wouldn’t at least try them in their current form. The same people that won’t use them cry how OP they are. A well played sub with support can have as much impact as a CV. In the early stages of a new ship type release, choosing not to learn them is choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage. But to each their own.

I don't have to eat a dog poop sandwich to know I won't enjoy it. That is the advantage of critical thinking, you don't have to experience something in order to know the outcome. 

The prevailing opinion on submarines from what I have read in the forums is not that they are OP but they are tedious to play and play against. Seems most of the posters find them just annoying. 

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
17,119 posts
20,503 battles

Took them out in the training room.  Found I didn't like them.  No need to go further.

• Thanks 1

[V_V_V]
Members
1,509 posts
20,773 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

No, you shouldn't get one.  Sell your CVs.

Edited by Charon2018
  • Meh 1

[-MOE-]
Members
113 posts
10,829 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In the future, I'm sure it will.

Missions like "Over any number of battles, get X ribbons of any kind" could easily be accomplished by ping ping pinging in co-op, because every ping hit gives a ribbon regardless of whether you can get any torps to hit. 

It's worth having as a tool with which to do a job that other tools in your toolbox can't do. Beyond that, there's no obligation to go chasing the lines.

If you ever tried that for first half of personal challenge you'd find out subs are terrible at getting ribbons. Every other ship can easily break 50 ribbons but for subs it takes effort even in coop.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

if you have the tokens from the personal challenges do it, unless there are other rewards for them of more value to you

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,913 posts
8,973 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Yes. Even if you don't like them / play them there are good reasons to get one. 

1. If you're clan minded, you can help grind points / flags for naval battles.

2. It's an extra star to knock off for annual rewards. 

3. Future dockyard events may have sub missions, making the grind easier.

4. If your Karma is getting too high you can use subs to knock it down a bit to stop you becoming over egotistical. 

5. All the girls like a guy who knows how to go down. 

6. They count towards your total ship count, bumping you into the higher reward category. 

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[BONKS]
Members
4,814 posts
52 battles

If there were a mission that requires you to get ship torp hits and doesn't have class restrictions, subs would be the best option for that.

[WOLFX]
Members
813 posts
1,713 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Took them out in the training room.  Found I didn't like them.  No need to go further.

Are subs allowed in the training room now?

I tried a few weeks ago and subs were not there.