You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DAKINGINDANORF

Massive RAM Usage Leading to Crashes

11 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
5,995 battles

Anyone encountered an error with their games crashing due to what appears to be a memory leak?

The loading bar never fills, and after a minute or so I get a critical error. Once this error occurs I can no longer enter that battle and am penalized for being AFK. This has just started occurring for me this patch and has happened 10+ times.

After doing some troubleshooting tonight, I found that this occurs when I run out of memory - I am maxing out at 32 GB (!!!) of RAM usage, solely with WOWs and my background programs running. I have not been able to confirm yet, but I suspect that this is due to a slow memory leak, since I typically only experience the error after 6-10 battles.

I am running custom graphics settings on High to Very High. I have a 1080 and 7th gen i7 running at 4.5 GHz. I typically get 130-140 FPS and have never had graphics issues previously. Could I just be running my game at too high specs?

I have removed mods, run in safe mode, and run the WG Check. None have solved this problem. I'm considering a re-install next, but hoping someone can help.

crash2.png

crash3.png

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,387 posts
29,449 battles

What about rolling back a graphics driver?

Are your issues solely with current patch only, or have you had same problem with previous patch .8?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles
51 minutes ago, Pretty_Rkless said:

What about rolling back a graphics driver?

Are your issues solely with current patch only, or have you had same problem with previous patch .8?

Graphics drives are definitely the first thing to check either rolling back or updating if you have not for awhile.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

I don't have this problem at all. 5600x, 32gb, 3060ti, windows 10. As others have said, I'd look at rolling back a graphics driver.

Edited by Lert

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,659 battles
6 hours ago, DAKINGINDANORF said:

Anyone encountered an error with their games crashing due to what appears to be a memory leak?

The loading bar never fills, and after a minute or so I get a critical error. Once this error occurs I can no longer enter that battle and am penalized for being AFK. This has just started occurring for me this patch and has happened 10+ times.

After doing some troubleshooting tonight, I found that this occurs when I run out of memory - I am maxing out at 32 GB (!!!) of RAM usage, solely with WOWs and my background programs running. I have not been able to confirm yet, but I suspect that this is due to a slow memory leak, since I typically only experience the error after 6-10 battles.

I am running custom graphics settings on High to Very High. I have a 1080 and 7th gen i7 running at 4.5 GHz. I typically get 130-140 FPS and have never had graphics issues previously. Could I just be running my game at too high specs?

I have removed mods, run in safe mode, and run the WG Check. None have solved this problem. I'm considering a re-install next, but hoping someone can help.

crash2.png

crash3.png

Looking at your screen shots I see you have the MsMpEng running at high memory usage. That is a problem you should fix and it, along with updating graphics drivers, should help a bunch.

The stock answer for this is below. When MSMPENG consumes excessive CPU or memory, it typically indicates a conflict, usually with other security software, though it can be a driver or a process that should not be conflicting that causes MSMPENG to go nuts.

Prior Security Software?
Any security software still installed?
A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.
You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

Here is the link I quoted with suggestions - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/msmpengexe-using-way-too-much-memory/79af7392-97ff-458a-9120-65fbe07be79f

• Cool 1

Members
7 posts
5,995 battles

I updated Drivers mid-patch and just ran a driver update last night after making this post - if that resolves the issue I will post an update here.

I will look into rolling back to previous drivers if I keep encountering high memory, but that just seems odd to me - why would my NVIDIA drivers cause high memory for me, but no one else?

[GHOST]
Members
300 posts
7,357 battles

I have been suffering through multiple hard stops for the last couple of releases. It crashes when logging in at least once. Then again when you click on a boat in the inventory. Then sometimes again when I hit the start button. That's when it is no fun cause I get dinged for inactivity....then I get all blush pink. Today it has been impossible. I can't get into a game at all. Not looking forward to the trouble shooting on this. Maybe I'll just give everybody a rest for a while.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
2 hours ago, SPQQKY said:

I have been suffering through multiple hard stops for the last couple of releases. It crashes when logging in at least once. Then again when you click on a boat in the inventory. Then sometimes again when I hit the start button. That's when it is no fun cause I get dinged for inactivity....then I get all blush pink. Today it has been impossible. I can't get into a game at all. Not looking forward to the trouble shooting on this. Maybe I'll just give everybody a rest for a while.

if you haven't tried it yet, i'd suggest uninstalling and doing a clean install no mods and see what happens... 

[GHOST]
Members
300 posts
7,357 battles
21 hours ago, SKurj said:

i'd suggest uninstalling and doing a clean install no mods and see what happens... 

Thanks.....I have updated my drivers + windows and nothing has changed. I thought the WOW updates would supersede a complete reinstall but maybe not. Like I said...not looking forward to the troubleshooting. Got one coop battle in today and then BOOOOM!!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
5 minutes ago, SPQQKY said:

Thanks.....I have updated my drivers + windows and nothing has changed. I thought the WOW updates would supersede a complete reinstall but maybe not. Like I said...not looking forward to the troubleshooting. Got one coop battle in today and then BOOOOM!!

yeah if you haven't done a full install in a long time, it can't hurt.

[GHOST]
Members
300 posts
7,357 battles

As it turns out the most recent release has pushed my Gforce 780Ti  over the edge. I am not capable of playing anymore (I'm useless anyway). I'll be back in a few months when I can afford a new video card. Until then(I'll hibernate) I hope you don't miss me...lol.

Edited by SPQQKY