You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Changes to the Santa's gifts in 2022

86 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,274 posts
26,543 battles

xmas_2022.thumb.png.664ee5ef42e43c24eff5810e7ee39ae0.png

This is off of the wargaming wiki. Underlined points are just to help you find what matches what, not to emphasize anything.

Changes may be made by wargaming between now and Christmas, I will try to update changes as they happen.

The biggest change is that dragon flags, signals, and camouflages have left the gifts, and now you receive stacks of economic boosters.

Let's deal with the easiest parts first.

Drops for doubloons, coal, and premium time remain the same. 

The premium ship drop chance is the same as 2021, and is once again broken down by rarity. However, several lower tier ships were added to the rare list.

I also expect that many more recent ships will be added to the ship drop lists. Once again, the list above will change.

The proliferation of lower tier ships in the "rare" list  means your 1% drop might be a Z-39, or a Graf Spee.

The gifts have a mercy rule, with an assured ship drop every threshold:

A Santa's Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 100 without a ship. 

A Santa's Big Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 27 without a ship.

A Santa's Mega Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 15 without a ship.

Compared to last year : https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/251 the threshold seems to have increased by one gift from 99/26/14

If you only have money for one bundle, the Mega will deliver a ship, and also a chance of Red boosters.

The changes, not better or worse, just different.

The camouflages and dragon flags had mixed bonuses, that gave a boost in several categories.

2022 gifts give boosts for one random attribute per drop. During the economic rework, it was argued by wargaming that the boosters would

roughly be equivalent to the old system. Your opinion on this may differ from theirs. Only the Mega gifts drop the Red boosters,  which have a lower

chance of dropping than a ship. The enforced scarcity of such boosters is apparent.

Santa's Gift seems to have the biggest changes, as there are no more 50x signal drops.  With this change, only super containers can deliver signal flags in

meaningful numbers aside from spending money. In my opinion the value proposition of the Santa's gift changes completely. What it does give is abundant silver boosters,

$20 spent on 20 containers would net you several hundred boosters, which would offset silver bleed on most ships if you don't have premium time.

Drops are 25x silver, 12x green, 3x blue

gift.jpg.e54a6e1f9cabffb71a1f2163221d3439.jpg

$20 might give you enough economic modifiers to make it through the year without needing premium time.

Summary: Lots of little boosts and a handful of other boosts. For a bare minimum player, $20 will go a long way with what this can deliver.

Recommend one bundle, and no more than that.

Santa's Big Gift was a 2021 favorite for price/value/ship chance. With the removal of dragon flags and camouflages with economic modifiers, the value of this gift has 

decreased substantially. The bulk of what you will receive is green boosters and blue boosters. 35x green, 10x Blue.

Big.jpg.cffde9bba0e20cc6b62e8c8eb6ed2ed7.jpg

The 9% ship chance versus the 12% chance of the Mega was it's strong point, as you would get a robust mix of secondary rewards for less cost.

That value has diminished as you can't get any red boosters from this gift in 2022. In 2021 you could equip all of the dragon flags for the equivalent of a

red booster. Compared to the Mega Gift, the Big Gift has lost substantial value in 2022 and is no longer recommended at all. If wargaming heeds advice, they

should add in a 1.5% chance for red boosters so that this container is not inferior to the previous year. 

Santa's Mega gifts have the highest price, and now have an exclusive drop: The red economic booster. It also has the lowest mercy drop, more doubloons, more coal,

more premium time. In order, 60x Green, 20x Blue, 7x Red.

mega.jpg.e4fa986802ab83124a94ade2903f4925.jpg

In true wargaming fashion the drops favor players whos spend money while simultaneously shafting them. You will have more Green booster chance than blue booster chance compared

to the Big Gift, but they give you twice the amount of blue boosters, and nearly double the amount of green boosters. For the elder whale, who has almost every ship and can force rare ship

drops with every ship drop, this is the way to go this year. For people who are new to the game, the wall is too high to climb anymore to reach the rare list and you'll need to spend thousands

if not tens of thousands of dollars to deplete the lists. One would be better off waiting for lighthouse or Christmas / charity events and directly buying the ship you really want. There's a vast

sea of premiums now, and unless you already have them, that 1% drop might reward you with a Z-39 or Hayate instead of a Musashi or Enterprise. Another thing to consider is that many

premiums are old, outdated, and no longer competitive anymore. The money you spend might only get you a fleet of obsolete ships that are suffering to play in the new Carrier/Hybrid/Submarine 

meta the game has shifted to.

This Christmas is shaping up to be an all or nothing proposition: Go Mega or go home. The basic gift however offers a good value in economic boosters for the money.

As always, only spend what you can afford to.

-Cit

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 21

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,991 posts
5,224 battles
12 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

True enough.

As for the rest, it seems a tempest in a teapot.  The overall ship drop rate remains unchanged.  Naturally there will be more rare ships as more ships as withdrawn, but unreasonable so?  I don't see evidence of that.

Empirically, in the 2021 event, Mega crates were the bees knees.  No change there either.

The ship lists:  (scroll down)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Event_Containers#Santa.27s_Gifts

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,274 posts
26,543 battles
33 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Empirically, in the 2021 event, Mega crates were the bees knees.  No change there either.

I owned every ship, so the 9% chance of the big which is normally 7%/1.5%/0.5% (rare) became a pure rare ship drop. So then it was just a matter of 9% vs 12% and the number of containers per dollar, and a willingness to gamble I could farm them out using bigs for less than the price in Megas. It came in $200 under the price in megas.

It's a very specific situation to be in and if you lapse even one year it becomes an insurmountable wall.

Edited by Cit_the_bed

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,888 posts
17,752 battles

wonder what the shortlist ships will be this time around, the Russian Nurnberg was it last year

[KCWY1]
Members
306 posts
11,377 battles

The "Russian Nurnberg" short list was two years ago.  After the CC Exodus last summer, they did away with the list and published the odds for drops.  

• Cool 2

[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

xmas_2022.thumb.png.664ee5ef42e43c24eff5810e7ee39ae0.png

This is off of the wargaming wiki. Underlined points are just to help you find what matches what, not to emphasize anything.

Changes my be made by wargaming between now and Christmas, I will try to update changes as they happen.

The biggest change is that dragon flags, signals, and camouflages have left the presents, and now you receive stacks of economic boosters.

Let's deal with the easiest parts first.

Drops for doubloons, coal, and premium time remain the same. 

The premium ship drop chance is the same as 2021, and is once again broken down by rarity. However, several lower tier ships were added to the rare list.

I also expect that many more recent ships will be added to the ship drop lists. Once again, the list above will change.

The proliferation of lower tier ships in the "rare" list  means your 1% drop might be a Z-39, or a Graf Spee.

The presents have a mercy rule, with an assured ship drop every threshold:

A Santa's Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 100 without a ship.

A Santa's Big Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 27 without a ship.

A Santa's Mega Gift container is guaranteed to drop a ship after consecutively opening 15 without a ship.

If you only have money for one bundle, the Mega will deliver a ship, and also a chance of Red boosters.

The changes, not better or worse, just different.

The camouflages and dragon flags had mixed bonuses, that gave a boost in several categories.

2022 presents give boosts for one random attribute per drop. During the economic rework, it was argued by wargaming that the bonuses would

roughly be equivalent to the old system. Your opinion on this may differ from theirs. Only the Mega presents drop the Red boosters,  with lower

chance of dropping than a ship. The enforced scarcity of such boosters is apparent.

Santa's Gift seems to have the biggest changes, as there are no more 50x signal drops.  With this change, only super containers can deliver signal flags in

meaningful numbers aside from spending money. In my opinion the value proposition of the Santa's gift changes completely. What it does give is abundant silver boosters,

$20 spent on 20 containers would net you several hundred boosters, which would offset silver bleed on most ships if you don't have premium time.

Drops are 25x silver, 12x green, 3x blue

gift.jpg.e54a6e1f9cabffb71a1f2163221d3439.jpg

$20 might give you enough economic modifiers to make it through the year without needing premium time.

Summary: Lots of little boosts and a handful of other boosts. For a bare minimum player, $20 will go a long way with what this can deliver.

Recommend one bundle, and no more than that.

Santa's Big Gift was a 2021 favorite for price/value/ship chance. With the removal of dragon flags and camouflages with bonuses, the value of this gift has 

decreased substantially. The bulk of what you will receive is green boosters and blue boosters. 35x green, 10x Blue.

Big.jpg.cffde9bba0e20cc6b62e8c8eb6ed2ed7.jpg

The 9% ship chance versus the 12% chance of the Mega was it's strong point, as you would get a robust mix of secondary rewards for less cost.

That value has diminished as you can't get any red boosters from this gift in 2022. In 2021 you could equip all of the dragon flags for the equivalent of a

red booster. Compared to the Mega Gift, the Big Gift has lost substantial value in 2022 and is no longer recommended at all. If wargaming heeds advice, they

should add in a 1.5% chance for red boosters so that this container is not inferior to the previous year. 

Santa's Mega gift have the highest price, and now has an exclusive drop, a big departure from all previous years. Not only does it have the lowest mercy drop, it also has red signals,

more doubloons, more coal, more premium time. In order, 60x Green, 20x Blue, 7x Red.

mega.jpg.e4fa986802ab83124a94ade2903f4925.jpg

In true wargaming fashion the drops favor players whos spend money while simultaneously shafting them. You will have more Green booster chance than blue booster chance compared

to the Big Gift, but they give you twice the amount of blue boosters, and nearly double the amount of green boosters. For the elder whale, who has almost every ship and can force rare ship

drops with every ship drop, this is the way to go this year. For people who are new to the game, the wall is too high to climb anymore to reach the rare list and you'll need to spend thousands

if not tens of thousands of dollars to deplete the lists. One would be better off waiting for lighthouse or Christmas / charity events and directly buying the ship you really want. There's a vast

sea of premiums now, and unless you already have them, that 1% drop might reward you with a Z-39 or Hayate instead of a Musashi or Enterprise. Another thing to consider is that many

premiums are old, outdated, and no longer competitive anymore. The money you spend might only get you a fleet of obsolete ships that are suffering to play in the new Carrier/Hybrid/Submarine 

meta the game has shifted to.

This Christmas is shaping up to be an all or nothing proposition; Go Mega or go home. The basic gift however offers a good value in economic boosters for the money. 

-Cit

Don't see much point having a rare ship list , there is basically nothing there since they have removed almost all. 

• Thanks 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,274 posts
26,543 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

Don't see much point having a rare ship list , there is basically nothing there since they have removed almost all. 

💯

[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
15 minutes ago, DownriverRick said:

The "Russian Nurnberg" short list was two years ago.  After the CC Exodus last summer, they did away with the list and published the odds for drops.  

Bring Back Makarov

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,080 battles

Hmm 🤔 makes me wonder if it is just worth it to buy the small container to get all those small bonuses and lots of them. Why spend money on the higher bonuses when having a ton of the small ones is more beneficial in the long run. 

[CAP]
Members
1,020 posts
24,947 battles

I didn't see anything about "if you have all the ships and you roll a ship you get XXX".

In 2021, they forked over steel which did manage to get a bit of money out of me since I'm a clan of 1.  If 2022 follows the theme of the rest of the prem containers it will replace any ship roll with FXP or maybe coal which frankly give me zero reasons to spend a dime along with only mega's dropping T4s when dragon flags were abundant in Bigs last year coupled with Type 59s exceeded T3 booster levels for FXP and CXP.  Having to buy Mega's to get a 6% chance to get 7 boosters or an abundance of green T2s (37%) adds some insult to injury on buying a mega.

• Thanks 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,223 posts
22,219 battles

The fact that the megas have their largest probability to drop greens REALLY irks me, it should be all blue / red with mediums being blue / green and smalls being green / gray.

• Cool 7

[WOLFX]
Members
202 posts
1,550 battles

The list of ships I want enough to gamble or whale for is getting short, I would say at this point Småland is the main one. I was happy to put doubs straight into buying the Belfast at the auction because that was the other one I was holding out for. If I get megas this year it will just be for fun. I'm definitely not going to buy a lot of them on the off chance a Småland will come up. I was playing catch up last year but now I feel like I'm in a good spot for my level of interest in the game.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,211 posts
15,770 battles
On 10/31/2022 at 12:26 AM, tm63au said:

Bring Back Makarov

I was quite happy getting it because I prefer ships with real history that ship had it.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,928 posts
8,973 battles

My interest in lootboxes was, and remains, at zero.

Having the chance to drop useless cammo is just the icing on the cake. 

I'll be saving my dubs and only buying exactly what I want. 

• Cool 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

Having the chance to drop useless cammo is just the icing on the cake

I love that they keep saying camo isn’t useless to some people.

Styrofoam peanuts are useful in some dimension of the universe too. 🙄

• Cool 5
  • Haha 3

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
2,274 posts
26,543 battles
5 hours ago, landedkiller said:

Hmm 🤔 makes me wonder if it is just worth it to buy the small container to get all those small bonuses and lots of them. Why spend money on the higher bonuses when having a ton of the small ones is more beneficial in the long run. 

When you consider how expensive they are in coal, that might not be a bad idea.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,104 posts
29,413 battles
9 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Edit: Unlike last year, it seems the 2022 mercy rule resets. Get a ship drop and it resets to 15/27/100 dead rolls before it triggers.

Looks like they felt the mercy rule was a little too generous last year.

In 2021 I opened 4 x 20 Mega one at a time, and got an average of four ships from each pack (to be precise, it was 4, 4, 3, 5), including one banned ship (Benham) and one high tier (Groningen). On average, a one in five chance; better than the 1 in 6 published odds. One or two of those might have been mercy rolls, but there were several instances of getting a few grouped very close together.

I also got a shipload of doubloons and more premium time than I could shake a stick at.

My gut feeling is that relying on the mercy rule is a pessimistic take. If you must get all the banned ships, that's on you and your wallet. 

[WOLFX]
Members
202 posts
1,550 battles
2 hours ago, Dudefella said:

I love that they keep saying camo isn’t useless to some people.

Styrofoam peanuts are useful in some dimension of the universe too. 🙄

I was happy to get all the camo after the economics bonus rework since it was free credits. Paid for a super ship and then some. Can't see what else it's good for. I'd turn it off entirely if I could, already have everything other weird cosmetic gimmick disabled, no need to see ships done up in random colors.

So, assuming one sells all the camo, is it a wash compared to last year, or do we come out behind?

[DEV_X]
Beta Testers
2,082 posts
12,562 battles

What's the steel payout if for ships if you have all the premiums? Also, is there a ship list regarding what can drop in the containers?

• Thanks 2

[FRFR]
Members
1,676 posts
10 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

I owned every ship, so the 9% chance of the big which is normally 7%/1.5%/0.5% (rare) became a pure rare ship drop. So then it was just a matter of 9% vs 12% and the number of containers per dollar, and a willingness to gamble I could farm them out using bigs for less than the price in Megas. It came in $200 under the price in megas.

It's a very specific situation to be in and if you lapse even one year it becomes an insurmountable wall.

I’m pretty sure that the ship drop rate for Megas was 16% last year too. Megas beat out the Big gift containers ever so slightly: $3 Big Gift gave a 9% chance of a ship; $5 Mega Gift gave a 16% chance.

[HOP4S]
Members
7,013 posts
35,512 battles

Gee, I really wanted a Musashi.....  I guess, that's never to be.  Oh well, if this is "what it is" it will be a Christmas that "was...."  I suspect very low participation from those whom I play this game with.  The ship list simply doesn't have what any of us are looking for, really.......  We've time before the event.  Maybe, we'll change our minds;  but, as of right now, I suspect only one low tier box gifts to each other....  And, flakes, if they have them.......  It's a far cry from what was in 2018.....a far cry.

[USCG]
Members
1,006 posts
31,569 battles

I have no intention of buying any crates this year. I’ll play my T10s for Santa crates but that’s it. Between subs in game and nothing there of interest to me I just can’t see spending the money. 

Sorry WGing, but you’ve turned me off with regards to buying anything in the near future. Most of it is because of subs in game…

• Cool 5

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
4 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I have no intention of buying any crates this year. I’ll play my T10s for Santa crates but that’s it. Between subs in game and nothing there of interest to me I just can’t see spending the money. 

Sorry WGing, but you’ve turned me off with regards to buying anything in the near future. Most of it is because of subs in game…

starting to wonder now...   the current monthly average (for the month of october) is down by 10%+ compared to 2018 and 19 on the NA server  EU though is holding steady...   asia is still up