You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HEYO19191

Game's Too Big

22 comments in this topic

[1H8ML]
Members
129 posts
1,075 battles

Decided I wanted to play a bit after a few month long break and was greeted with a 50 gigbyte update. With 20gb free on the SSD I knew that wasn't gonna fly so I uninstalled hoping a reinstall would fit (doesnt make alot of sense in hindsight). After the uninstall I got to 78gb free but then realized that to reinstall I needed nearly 100gb free. So, I guess that's goodbye to WoWs for now.

What got added that doubled the game's size? I see forum articles saying the game was 20gb in 2017, when I installed in 2019 I'm pretty sure it was around 40gb, and now its nearly 100? What gives?

image.png

• Haha 1

[QNA]
Beta Testers
2,121 posts

Try needing multiple instances of 70GB+.

have dedicated 1TB SSD just for WG shenanigans.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
25 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

What gives?

image.png

Most software downloads as a compressed file, which then has to unpack for installation. Then there are updates, error checking, and other computing overhead. Expect that you will need twice as much disk space for software to install as it will take when it's installed. WOWS clearly states how much free disk space is needed in its game requirements. Your only real options are to either back up and delete videos and other large data files, uninstall some other large applications, or install additional storage capacity. There are things you might be able to do via your operating system to free up some drive space but you shouldn't be running your drives nearly full anyway, especially if they are SSDs as that will really shorten their lives.

Edit: I see from your previous posts that you are/were on an older laptop with limited upgrade capabilities and Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics. I'm afraid that you may have come to the limits of its gaming use. Your video system only has a Passmark score of 747. The minimum integrated video system listed for WOWS, the Intel HD 4000, has a Passmark score of 1485. It's a wonder your laptop can run the game at all.

Edited by Snargfargle

[RSL]
Members
896 posts
13,657 battles

CoD got up to 200gb lol. Crazy how games take up more space when the graphics and amount of content improve. Storage is cheap these days anyways.

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,585 posts
16,516 battles
25 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

What got added that doubled the game's size? I see forum articles saying the game was 20gb in 2017, when I installed in 2019 I'm pretty sure it was around 40gb, and now its nearly 100? What gives?

We are constantly working on our graphics such as map improvements!

Members
1,641 posts
50 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

Decided I wanted to play a bit after a few month long break and was greeted with a 50 gigbyte update. With 20gb free on the SSD I knew that wasn't gonna fly so I uninstalled hoping a reinstall would fit (doesnt make alot of sense in hindsight). After the uninstall I got to 78gb free but then realized that to reinstall I needed nearly 100gb free. So, I guess that's goodbye to WoWs for now.

image.png

You'd be driven crazy if you buy ARK.

• Cool 1

[BB35]
Members
229 posts
59 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

image.png

Nvidia’s game streaming service is a better option than trying to run games natively on your hardware.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,160 posts
15,882 battles
1 hour ago, HEYO19191 said:

image.png

A one Terabyte External drive is around ~$50 Maybe less come Black Friday. It's Worth the investment as computer companies have beet reducing the drive sizes of their computers.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
13 minutes ago, cheapinkc said:

Nvidia’s game streaming service is a better option than trying to run games natively on your hardware.

That's an interesting possible option. The streaming service requires a minimum of Intel HD 2000 graphics but the Intel UHD 630 is close. Neither would be very good though as they both would be barely capable.

[1H8ML]
Members
129 posts
1,075 battles
22 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

A one Terabyte External drive is around ~$50 Maybe less come Black Friday. It's Worth the investment as computer companies have beet reducing the drive sizes of their computers.

Yeah they're cheap nowadays but I'm runningon a laptop so there's not exacly much room for expansion. Cant just stick a 1tb drive in here and call it a day.
Been looking at new PCs but the only ones that are enough of an upgrade to consider buying are 1000+ dollars and I don't know if its the best idea to just go out and buy one right now.

[RSL]
Members
896 posts
13,657 battles
30 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That's an interesting possible option. The streaming service requires a minimum of Intel HD 2000 graphics but the Intel UHD 630 is close. Neither would be very good though as they both would be barely capable.

51 minutes ago, cheapinkc said:

I can 100% endorse GeForce now, assuming you have the wifi to run it. I had to use that for two years in Uni and had issues maybe 2-3 times. 100% worth it.

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,570 posts
57 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

I can 100% endorse GeForce now, assuming you have the wifi to run it. I had to use that for two years in Uni and had issues maybe 2-3 times. 100% worth it.

*If the games you want to play are on their list.  I looked into it because I was considering it, but if a game you play is not on their list, you can't play it.  They also change the list at their discretion.

I would be all about it except that last part.  Owning things has it's upsides and downsides.  The biggest upside is that nobody can suddenly tell you that you can't do what you want, with your own stuff.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles
9 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

Yeah they're cheap nowadays but I'm runningon a laptop so there's not exacly much room for expansion. Cant just stick a 1tb drive in here and call it a day.

Storage is the only thing that's (mostly) upgradeable on a laptop, though it generally requires swapping out the old one for a newer, bigger one, which involves reinstalling windows. Many laptops have space for a second SSD though, at least modern ones do.

9 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

Been looking at new PCs but the only ones that are enough of an upgrade to consider buying are 1000+ dollars and I don't know if its the best idea to just go out and buy one right now.

Depending on your use case a Ryzen 5 laptop with onboard graphics good enough to run floaty botes at medium settings can be had for $500 ish.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,160 posts
15,882 battles
10 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

Why not? Your laptop so old it's got no USB ports and you need an external monitor too?

10 hours ago, HEYO19191 said:

That's what I'm talking about. And even the gaming ones are gated for 400gb. I also play on a laptop. Eight years ago, i bought a +400gb 17in hp at a Black Friday for under $500. When i had to buy another one two years ago, i was shocked it only had ~128gb. I felt cheated; but it's the market. All those companies could put terabyte drives in laptops, but then they wouldn't sell those external drives.

;

[RPTN]
Beta Testers
1,849 posts
4,954 battles
2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

That's what I'm talking about. And even the gaming ones are gated for 400gb. I also play on a laptop. Eight years ago, i bought a +400gb 17in hp at a Black Friday for under $500. When i had to buy another one two years ago, i was shocked it only had ~128gb. I felt cheated; but it's the market. All those companies could put terabyte drives in laptops, but then they wouldn't sell those external drives.

That older laptop probably used an IDE hard drive, while the newer one probably uses SSD.  SSD is much more expensive.  But yeah, you'd figure they'd put in at least a 1 TB drive.  That would start to drive down the prices.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

From what the OP has told us about his system, it was barely capable of playing WOWS some time ago. As Ahskance alluded to, WOWS graphics keep improving and more content (maps, ships, etc.) keeps being added, thus increasing system overhead requirements. A system that was barely capable of playing WOWS back when it came out likely wouldn't be capable of playing it today. While it comes close to the bare minimum requirements for the game as posted in the specifications, the OP's system is woefully underpowered if the recommended requirements are taken into consideration. It would be a lesson in futility to try to enhance an old laptop's performance by adding external drives or paying for a game streaming service. Doing so would quickly exceed the price of a much more capable used computer. There comes a time when you are just not going to be able to play a current 3-D game on an old system.

Edited by Snargfargle

[1H8ML]
Members
129 posts
1,075 battles
On 10/31/2022 at 7:32 AM, Crokodone said:

Why not? Your laptop so old it's got no USB ports and you need an external monitor too?

I might be wrong but i dont think I can just stick a 3x1 inch sdd into a whateveraSSDuses to usb conversion wire and call it a day
Fingers crossed for a good black friday deal on newegg

[1H8ML]
Members
129 posts
1,075 battles
On 10/31/2022 at 10:23 AM, Snargfargle said:

From what the OP has told us about his system, it was barely capable of playing WOWS some time ago.

While it comes close to the bare minimum requirements for the game as posted in the specifications, the OP's system is woefully underpowered if the recommended requirements are taken into consideration.

gasp How dare you insult my intel UHD 630 integrated GPU
I tell you the game ran at a smooth 20fps and only froze or blacked out sometimes back when it fit on this state of the art hardware.

...Perhaps it was about time I got an upgrade

• Funny 1

Members
1,641 posts
4 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

I might be wrong but i dont think I can just stick a 3x1 inch sdd into a whateveraSSDuses to usb conversion wire and call it a day

You could if your PC had a thunderbolt port.