You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rocketdog2300

Bots programmed to single out a ship?

17 comments in this topic

[COSTA]
Members
96 posts
5,210 battles

Aegis.

5 minutes into the game and i am toast.

3 to 4 ships in much closer range to the enemy, but for some reason i draw all their fire which seems to become more intense as my HP is drained.

Meanwhile, Teammates are steadily laying down fire on them, but the enemy continues to focus their fire on me as i try to put some distance on them.

Is this a mechanic of the game?

Doesn't bring much joy to the game.

1188_1664070565_20220924_203613_PGSB507-Scharnhorst_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

Edited by Rocketdog2300

[WOLFH]
Members
1,124 posts
6,357 battles

I have seen this happen, humans do focus fire, it is not incomprehensible to expect that such a tactic was coded into bot AI.

Doesn’t always happen, likely there are several options for bot AIs.

[LWC]
Members
317 posts
725 battles

Yeah I've noticed it too. You don't have to be the first in line to be concentrated. 

[RLGN]
Members
18,948 posts
34,519 battles

Not sure I noticed it on Aegis; but if you play a cruiser in Hermes, the focus fire is especially heavy and demoralizing.

Literally did everything I could to break contact the last time a cruiser drew Hermes.

Whenever I was targetable again, ALL the bots that could started shooting at me.

In the end, I was literally running away, and could have zero influence on the outcome of the game, and the MvR flew planes half way across the map to kill me.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,940 posts
15,622 battles

The bots initially focus on the most aggressive ship(s) so if you get far enough ahead the entire bot team will focus on you.

[REVY]
Members
9,637 posts
7,316 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In the end, I was literally running away, and could have zero influence on the outcome of the game,

If all the bots are firing on you and missing, you are influencing the outcome by keeping your team undamaged.

[RLGN]
Members
18,948 posts
34,519 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

If all the bots are firing on you and missing, you are influencing the outcome by keeping your team undamaged.

If I wanted to have such ‘fun,’ I’d play Randoms.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,640 posts
30,550 battles

The bots have focused fire for as long as I can remember, even in Co-Op, even the Operations update.

In Co-Op, Bot ships often, but not always, would focus on the lowest HP ship they detect.  This typically went into several stages.

1.  Battleships were spotted first, so they drew the first salvos from long range.

2.  Bot planes would zoom by and sometimes spot DDs and Cruisers.  Since they're lower HP ships, the bots would then switch to them until they go back undetected.

3.  Cruisers start shooting from long and intermediate range, giving themselves away, so the bots would switch to them.  OTOH, Bot DDs or Gunboat DD players spamming their guns as soon as they're in range would quickly draw fire the moment they're detected.  They have the lowest HP after all.

4.  This leaves Co-Op BBs in the hilarious situation where all the sudden, the bots ignore them. 

5.  One big exception.  Spotted CVs seem to override whatever is going on and the bots will shoot whatever they have at it.

Naturally the map and obstructions play a role, too.  If the bots don't have a shot then they'll settle for whatever is conveniently close by.

In Co-Op, I recall taking my Yamato in front of a Bot Montana, turn fully broadside and parked it only a few kilometers ahead so I could Overmatch it and have all my secondaries firing on it also.  I was not concerned despite me sitting stationary, fully broadside in front of a 406mm armed bot Montana.  Why?  Because the bot ignored me and was shooting at some Baltimore player far as **** away into the northwest of the map.

In a Co-Op game long ago I was sailing along in my DD Mahan.  The red Bot CV briefly spotted me with aircraft.  After I easily dodged the air attack and shot the aircraft down, I kept on sailing straight to the cap.  But I guess I should have paid attention, because some Bot BB from across the map fired its HE at me and 1-shot me.

In Operations it's more of the same.  If you're the convenient target, the bots will shoot at you.  All this stuff about bots focusing on some dude in Aegis?  It was like that too before the Ops update.  Operation Hermes when it was originally in the game?  It was the same thing, but far worse, because at that time it was only Tier VII Allied Cruiers and 1, maybe 2 French BBs (VII Lyon, VIII Richelieu, or VIII Gascogne).  We still had the same 4 BB spawns, we still had the same bomber waves.

[-PVE-]
Members
487 posts
15,886 battles
4 hours ago, Rocketdog2300 said:

Aegis.

5 minutes into the game and i am toast.

3 to 4 ships in much closer range to the enemy, but for some reason i draw all their fire which seems to become more intense as my HP is drained.

Meanwhile, Teammates are steadily laying down fire on them, but the enemy continues to focus their fire on me as i try to put some distance on them.

Doesn't bring much joy to the game.

1188_1664070565_20220924_203613_PGSB507-Scharnhorst_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

I did not watch the replay, but I bet you were in a BB. In Aegis, bots will focus on BBs and normally stay on the same one as long as they can hit it. I have been melted many times but with the new higher tier enemy ships, BBs melt fast. There is no real answer for it except hope they pick the other guy first.   

[KMS]
Members
85 posts
1,353 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

All this stuff about bots focusing on some dude in Aegis?  It was like that too before the Ops update. .

It seems to be worse than before.

[CVA16]
Members
8,580 posts
26,163 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The bots have focused fire for as long as I can remember, even in Co-Op, even the Operations update.

I've always thought that there is something in the bot targeting algorithm that gives a target that is being fired on by another bot  a bit of a bump up the priority list. Probably even cumulative for each bot targeting a ship. The intent is to get the bots to focus fire (like good human teams do) even in cases where other targets would be more logical/valuable. 

There is obviously some what of a randomizer because other times they don't do this. I have also seen bots (with slow turrets) dither indecisively and not be able to decide on which target it wants to shoot at. They keep changing turret rotation direction, never locking onto any target.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,640 posts
30,550 battles
1 hour ago, Talharu said:

It seems to be worse than before.

It is worse because the bots have been improved to ships several tiers higher.

Operation Aegis as an example.  The second spawn that comes in from the northwest?  Before the update it was Kumas (140mm x7), Furutakas (203mm x6), sometimes with a Ishizuchi or two (305mm x10).  Now it's Myokos (203mm x10), Mogami-155 (155mm x15), Ibuki (203mm x10), and sometimes with a Nagato or two (410mm x8).  The new version is much more dangerous, but the same thing applies:  They'll focus fire in either version, it's just the new version is much more deadly.

In the old version I still saw a lot of people stand out in the open trying to trade shots with those Cruisers and Ishizuchi(s).  They're in their Tier VI BBs getting butchered.  Seen it enough times that I learned from it, not to be one of those suckers.  You cannot do that with the much improved ships you're seeing now.

16 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I've always thought that there is something in the bot targeting algorithm that gives a target that is being fired on by another bot  a bit of a bump up the priority list. Probably even cumulative for each bot targeting a ship. The intent is to get the bots to focus fire (like good human teams do) even in cases where other targets would be more logical/valuable. 

There is obviously some what of a randomizer because other times they don't do this. I have also seen bots (with slow turrets) dither indecisively and not be able to decide on which target it wants to shoot at. They keep changing turret rotation direction, never locking onto any target.

Even when i started playing Co-Op more, I maintained Priority Target in my build, just like I was in Random Battles.  You really need to know if the bots have it in for you before the shells come flying in the air.  Often those shells are coming from across the map, from directions you're not looking at.  You're chugging along and the Priority Target goes from something like 0, or 1, and then suddenly to 4, 5, 6, bruh... You need to stop whatever it is you're doing and start doing evasive **** or find cover, because shells were coming.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,604 posts
36,529 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

In a Co-Op game long ago I was sailing along in my DD Mahan.  The red Bot CV briefly spotted me with aircraft.  After I easily dodged the air attack and shot the aircraft down, I kept on sailing straight to the cap.  But I guess I should have paid attention, because some Bot BB from across the map fired its HE at me and 1-shot me.

The trans cap laser targeting ability, when you're pootling along knocking seven sorts of ordure out of the BB in front of you in A cap and your Mino gets blapped to oblivion by the bot Monarch on C cap.

• Haha 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,640 posts
30,550 battles
13 minutes ago, Efros said:

The trans cap laser targeting ability, when you're pootling along knocking seven sorts of ordure out of the BB in front of you in A cap and your Mino gets blapped to oblivion by the bot Monarch on C cap.

It's the stuff you don't see coming that's the worst :Smile_popcorn:

[SALVO]
Members
15,743 posts
9,815 battles
12 hours ago, Rocketdog2300 said:

Yes, so Act accordingly... Break contact an let a team mate share the focus. 

Members
5 posts
1,188 battles

Heaven forbid bot's use tactics.... 

I guess you'd be upset in a gun fight if the opponent used a gun...

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,686 posts
8,709 battles

I've dipped my toe into co-op over the last few days to farm the ribbons for the dockyard missions. 

I'm finding the bot CV is lining up attack runs on my dd before I've been spotted. Not that they hit me much, but still. It's clear they know where I am before the spotting distance kicks in. I'm calling hacks.