Grand_Admiral_Murrel

St. Lawrence as a Premium Ship - Concept

13 comments in this topic

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles

Just curious if I'm the only one who would like to see a premium version of the Tier X St. Lawrence be released? She was one of the test ships to see how well the newly-added British battlecruisers would perform as brawlers, but obviously that concept failed. For those who don't know, she's a copy-and-paste of the tech tree ship St. Vincent, but with slightly different stats. What killed that idea was the lack of armor for brawling. So, I ask: why not revisit this idea as a premium? 

Armor: First, giver her 32mm of plating to start. Next, lower that citadel and slap on some more upper belt armor. Reduce the accuracy of her main guns. 

Maneuverability: Reduce her top speed and take away the speed boost. 30-32 knots base is fine. 

Secondary battery: Give all of her guns 1/4 HE penetration and standard German battleship dispersion. Memes ensue. 

image.thumb.png.1cdb5e570fb5f76c411a5d5470937efc.png

For comparison (not taking into account armor penetration - Republique, I'm looking at you), here's the DPM of a full broadside of popular brawling ships' secondary battery: 

image.thumb.png.51f30d8314f12f28ed31a8059a7266c4.png

No gimmicks, just a fun brawling ship that isn't German or American, and is functional for the task. If she had 1/4 pen, she would actually perform very similarly to Schlieffen since all of her secondaries are in turrets and not casemates. Just imagine the hail of shells! 

Thoughts? @Sailor_Moon

Edited by Grand_Admiral_Murrel
  • Cool 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,204 posts
28,893 battles

Daddy wants....

[-GF-]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
12,581 battles
8 hours ago, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

Just curious if I'm the only one who would like to see a premium version of the Tier X St. Lawrence be released? She was one of the test ships to see how well the newly-added British battlecruisers would perform as brawlers, but obviously that concept failed. For those who don't know, she's a copy-and-paste of the tech tree ship St. Vincent, but with slightly different stats. What killed that idea was the lack of armor for brawling. So, I ask: why not revisit this idea as a premium? 

Armor: First, giver her 32mm of plating to start. Next, lower that citadel and slap on some more upper belt armor. Reduce the accuracy of her main guns. 

Maneuverability: Reduce her top speed and take away the speed boost. 30-32 knots base is fine. 

Secondary battery: Give all of her guns 1/4 HE penetration and standard German battleship dispersion. Memes ensue. 

No gimmicks, just a fun brawling ship that isn't German or American, and is functional for the task. 

Thoughts? 

toss in the georgia secondary accuracy and im sold

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
2 hours ago, Copperhead550 said:

toss in the georgia secondary accuracy and im sold

That would be fun, especially with the shear number of secondary guns she has. Thing is, she probably wouldn't get improved pen (at least not 1/4 pen) if she also received accurate guns, but one can hope. I own the Georgia, but I never felt rewarded when playing a secondary build because of the lack of pen on her secondaries. The German battlecruisers, on the other hand - they're just ludicrous. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,835 posts
16,894 battles
11 hours ago, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

No gimmicks, just a fun brawling ship that isn't German or American, and is functional for the task. 

Thoughts? 

German battleship battleship or battleship battlecruiser? both are shown as BBs, if its the battlecruiser secondary dispersion  COUNT ME THE :etc_swear: IN

those secondaries are good for fire starting and can already pen at least 21mm iirc, id be fine with them not getting more pen in return for being German BC secondaries/ Georgia secondaries accurate

Edited by tcbaker777

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

German battleship battleship or battleship battlecruiser? both are shown as BBs, if its the battlecruiser secondary dispersion  COUNT ME THE :etc_swear: IN

I mean, battlecruiser dispersion would be epic. Mainline German BB dispersion would be fine too, given the shear number of guns. 

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
28 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

those secondaries are good for fire starting and can already pen at least 21mm iirc, id be fine with them not getting more pen in return for being German BC secondaries/ Georgia secondaries accurate

@tcbaker777 see the screenshots I have added to my original post - she would actually have good secondary DPM in St. Vincent's current configuration. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,255 posts
9,217 battles
On 9/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

I mean, battlecruiser dispersion would be epic. Mainline German BB dispersion would be fine too, given the shear number of guns. 

There is no such thing anymore.  There is American BB dispersion, which is shared by mainline British and German BBs (other than those armed with BL15s) and there is French BB dispersion, which is shared by Italian BBs and used to be German BB dispersion.

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
10 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

There is no such thing anymore.  There is American BB dispersion, which is shared by mainline British and German BBs (other than those armed with BL15s) and there is French BB dispersion, which is shared by Italian BBs and used to be German BB dispersion.

Forgive me, I wasn't clear. I was referring to mainline German battleship secondary dispersion, not main battery dispersion. But yes, you are correct, they share the same main battery dispersion formula. 

[NGA-A]
Volunteer Moderator
315 posts
9,027 battles

In testing I actually tended to run this ship with a full secondary build (without IFHE) because that was a decent way to deal with the DD's that got too close. the secondaries have enough "oomph" to pen DD's, and the ROF of all those guns did act as a deterrent.

The down side was that with the new "manual secondaries" skill it takes 45 seconds for the accuracy to spin up, and with the massive difference between the visibility of the St Vincent and a DD, this was often fatal. I did pot a couple of DD's with salvos of HE (when my guns were pointing the right way) and had one glorious battle where I got to torp one of the blighters. 

No you should not brawl with this ship, but occasionally you can get away with it. The changes proposed would make this ship hilariously fun, even without 1/4 pen on the secondaries.

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
On 9/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, SureBridge said:

No you should not brawl with this ship, but occasionally you can get away with it. The changes proposed would make this ship hilariously fun, even without 1/4 pen on the secondaries.

Interesting to know that there were people experimenting with it. Also, I'm glad you approve of my proposal! 

[NGA-A]
Volunteer Moderator
315 posts
9,027 battles
2 minutes ago, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

Interesting to know that there were people experimenting with it. Also, I'm glad you approve of my proposal! 

I often think that I'm the "Idiot kid cousin" in the testing, since most of the testers are scary capable. I tend to try the weird stuff, which might be why I like ships like the Bazan and the Sevastapol (dear lord *don't* try to brawl with Sevastapol!). 

There were a few versions of the St Vincent tested, maybe they will decide to "tweak" one for brawling and issue it as a premium.

Imagine the horrific surprise of someone getting close to a St Michael (patron saint of paratroopers and brawlers) before realizing that it *wasn't* a St Vincent.

• Funny 1

Wiki Editor
996 posts
5,481 battles
10 hours ago, SureBridge said:

Imagine the horrific surprise of someone getting close to a St Michael (patron saint of paratroopers and brawlers) before realizing that it *wasn't* a St Vincent.

LOL. That would be pretty funny.