You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WoWsNewsBot

Developer Bulletin for Update 0.11.9

71 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Members
17 posts
10,707 battles

It's okay everyone. The spreadsheet says everyone wanted subs and the same Halloween event over and over!

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SOUS]
Members
664 posts
5,940 battles

Game keeps getting less and less fun, what a shame.

• Cool 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
16,800 posts
19,441 battles

Nothing sparks enthusiasm like the phrase "submarine tokens"

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 5

[ARGSY]
Members
30,607 posts
28,137 battles

Observations:

I think there is insufficient visual difference between the depth charge full-hit and splash-damage ribbons. The width of the ribbon alone is not IMHO a sufficient differentiator. A single narrow ribbon and a double narrow ribbon would be better than single narrow and single wide.

I also think it would be appropriate to offer a free one-off commander transfer, as was done at the beginning of the Commander Skill rework. In my opinion, the addition of a completely new vessel type to the game is a sufficiently significant change to warrant this indulgence.

Big thank you for adding ribbons as a Personal Challenges metric in addition to Base XP, with additional options in the future. The Co-op community should be pleased to see this. On the other hand, they won't be pleased to have to score twice as many floods to activate Cunningham's speed talent; that can sometimes be difficult to do in a short battle.

Subs were going to come eventually; might as well be now. We'll see how they pan out now that people will actually have to grind for them. For the record, while I think improvements are possible, all the major component mechanics are now in place and adding anything else or tinkering any further before release won't solve any problems.

Please stop asking for their removal, people; you know it's not going to happen.

Tagging @Ahskance for the feedback.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 10

Members
2 posts
1,094 battles

Never played such a greedy game before this one. Ya'll need to turn it down a notch, everyone in the clan is complaining and quitting the game and nothing was said or done by WoW. Finding other clans feeling the same. Don't want to invite their friends to a greedy and mean game. Unfair challenges, pay to win is embarrassing.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 4

[RVNHQ]
Members
780 posts
16,185 battles

Even the early access for Submarines is uninspiring.

After three years of testing it's like, "Hey, buy our random bundles." Here I thought they would at least include a historical commander with specialized skills.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 5

[OSW]
Members
92 posts

so.... are the submarines the only things I will be able to buy with the submarine tokens? I don't want to play subs at all, so..............?

Edited by chuckb216
  • Cool 8

[BEA5T]
Members
6,816 posts
34,373 battles

I am not anti-sub, let's get that straight !  Subs were in both wars and should be in this game.  It's more a matter of how...........

My opinion is that Sub mechanics are designed to sell subs at the cost of losing players.   If this were not so, we'd see an "equivalent ASW weapons systems" to counter homing torpedoes....  Notice, "to counter homing torpedoes..."

There aren't any:  which means, "submarines can dominate game play" just as we saw at Update 8.0 with Carriers...    

What was in the News is a facade to placate the masses.....  Give us SONAR.  Give us an ASW anti-torpedo system to counter Homing Torpedoes and then, we can have a good conversation about submarines selling or failing.  Fish in a barrel sales tactics (homing torpedoes) simply is a lose-lose sales proposition........   Will we see homing torpedoes in KOTS???  Nope.....  Those players would simply quit and there'd be no KOTS....  What does that say that we've had Carriers for years and to this day, Carriers are not in KOTS.....  Hmmmm???  

I am astounded that our host hasn't learnt that "those whom do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it?" 

So, here we are Update 11.9 which will follow the same trajectory as Update 8.0.......  And, what have we learnt? 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 8

[WPORT]
Members
19,444 posts
21,809 battles

Damage Control Party is deploying "Foxers" or similar acoustic noisemakers to "lure" homing torpedoes away from a targeted ship, in my imagination.
WOWs has not officially specified how DCP is removing ping-homing locks, though.

4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I am not anti-sub, let's get that straight !  Subs were in both wars and should be in this game.  It's more a matter of how...........

In this, it seems we have common ground.  :-)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,688 posts
30,018 battles
30 minutes ago, chuckb216 said:

so.... are the submarines the only things I will be able to buy with the submarine tokens? I don't want to play subs at all, so..............?

They usually have other goodies you can buy other than the ships as part of the early release events so you should have a few options. 

I never plan on playing Wargaming's version of submarines, they are just too ridiculous. I will use the tokens to buy credits or if the math is better, buy the subs and sell those for credits. Whatever pays out more in the end. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[RAZGZ]
Beta Testers
782 posts
14,135 battles

Even though subs were in both wars,  the mechanic is far from the reality of what happened.   I am anti sub,  let the games be battles with surface combatants,  that is what the vast majority of players want.

After wrecking operations,  now we will wreck the other battles.   World of Torpedo's just got more torps into the game. 

• Thanks 1

[BEA5T]
Members
6,816 posts
34,373 battles
2 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Isn't hydroacoustic search just another name for sonar?

No.  Passive versus active systems.  SONAR deployed in the same animation, duration and consequences of RADAR>.  That would make this a balanced process. 

[WPORT]
Members
19,444 posts
21,809 battles
4 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Isn't hydroacoustic search just another name for sonar?

It's a term that WOWs seems to have come-up with.

Actual sonar sends out sound waves and uses the echos to locate objects.
  Actual hydrophones passively listen to sounds in the water without sending out pings of their own.
Neither of those can perceive targets which are on the other side of huge islands, in real life.

Members
1,385 posts
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It's a term that WOWs seems to have come-up with.

Actual sonar sends out sound waves and uses the echos to locate objects.
  Actual hydrophones passively listen to sounds in the water without sending out pings of their own.
Neither of those can perceive targets which are on the other side of huge islands, in real life.

"Two types of technology share the name "sonar": passive sonar is essentially listening for the sound made by vessels; active sonar is emitting pulses of sounds and listening for echoes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar

[WPORT]
Members
19,444 posts
21,809 battles
8 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

"Two types of technology share the name "sonar": passive sonar is essentially listening for the sound made by vessels; active sonar is emitting pulses of sounds and listening for echoes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar

Yeah.  There was a time when passive sonar was known by a distinct name instead of being lumped-in with active sonar, according to my understanding.
I'm guessing you're aware that SONAR is an acronym.  :-)

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-history-of-sonar-1992436
https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Hydrophone

[WOLF4]
Members
381 posts
13,930 battles

Wow, the distinction between these ribbons for better awareness….

28F55B23-D4B0-4C47-AC49-9C916A35A253.jpeg

[MR-1]
Members
2,944 posts
30,880 battles

STILL NO OPTION GIVEN  IF THERES A CHOICE IF WE WANT THEM OR NOT 

I WILL REPEAT MY PAST 6 MONTHS  ..I D O N T W A N T T H E M 

no_subs.jpg

rusty subs.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PPNA1]
Members
160 posts
12,872 battles

GRRRRRR.  Not going to play these broken subs they are releasing. Going to FXP them, shove them in the dumpster part of my port and wait for snow. Glad at least not to have to play them to knock off snowflakes. Never will be ready

ship-cemetery-graveyards-bone-yards-junk-yards-ships-sent-to-die-images-information (1).jpg

R (1).jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PPNA1]
Members
160 posts
12,872 battles
3 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

STILL NO OPTION GIVEN  IF THERES A CHOICE IF WE WANT THEM OR NOT 

I WILL REPEAT MY PAST 6 MONTHS  ..I D O N T W A N T T H E M 

Is that a code?  nope, doesn't work

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[KSC]
Wiki Editor
50 posts
7,321 battles
2 hours ago, WoWsNewsBot said:

Early Access to U.S. and German submarines; Halloween; and other fresh features for Update 0.11.9!

Read it on the portal

what about improved SE on American and Russian commanders? is there a way we can get access to that improved skill since the only way to get it is from a vaulted commander (no longer accessable) ovechkin?