You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Arcus_Aesopi

Best Secondary Cruiser?

22 comments in this topic

[AM-PM]
Members
301 posts
8,087 battles

I have the Dockyard firestarter mission for cruisers and a secondary hits mission for the White Swan (Rio de Janero) chain at the same time... done with the Dockyard BB mission or I'd just do Schlieffen...

Napoli?  24 secondary guns with good range and you can smoke fire them if you want to get close.  Just averaged 175 secondary hits over 2 missions but I'm curious if I'm missing a better secondary cruiser since the Napoli secondaries aren't firestarters (SAP shells).  Relying on the mains only yielded 1 fire on one battle and one flooding from torps :)

German Cruisers seem pretty solid, but not as many guns... although they will start fires...

Ideas and opinions? 

Thanks.  Shoulda posted in PvE since this is a Co-op type mission pair.

Edited by Arcus_Aesopi
Shoulda posted in PvE

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,428 posts
17,182 battles

Yep, Napoli.

Agir is the better of the two now if you’re looking at German cruisers (Agir and Siegfried), but Napoli’s top dog as far as secondary cruisers go.

Of course, Napoli’s not going to be the ideal pick for a fires mission…

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

Napoli and nothing else.  The major problems for the idea with Secondary Cruiser Builds:

Range sucks.

Except for SBM1 there are literally no other means to improve Secondary accuracy on Cruisers.

With Cruisers being naturally smaller than Battleships, there are far, far fewer Secondary guns on them.

You are not going to roll up to a Battleship and scare them with Cruiser secondaries.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CRZ13]
Members
486 posts
11,408 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You are not going to roll up to a Battleship and scare them with Cruiser secondaries.

Smoking up, staying concealed and watching those secondary sap shells hit has turn more than one bb. I guess the threat of torps might help that though.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,682 posts
30,013 battles

Yeah Napoli is hands down the best secondary cruiser and a really good ship for co-op. Short ranged secondaries are not an issue when most of the fighting is up close and in your face. I have Siegfried and Agir and they are fine, but Napoli fighting the bots looks like a 4th of July celebration on the screen. Just so much awesome it is hard to bear. 

[SALVO]
Members
15,654 posts
9,795 battles
1 hour ago, Arcus_Aesopi said:

I have the Dockyard firestarter mission for cruisers and a secondary hits mission for the White Swan (Rio de Janero) chain at the same time... done with the Dockyard BB mission or I'd just do Schlieffen...

Napoli?  24 secondary guns with good range and you can smoke fire them if you want to get close.  Just averaged 175 secondary hits over 2 missions but I'm curious if I'm missing a better secondary cruiser since the Napoli secondaries aren't firestarters (SAP shells).  Relying on the mains only yielded 1 fire on one battle and one flooding from torps :)

German Cruisers seem pretty solid, but not as many guns... although they will start fires...

Ideas and opinions? 

Not really familiar with the Dockyard mission but "firestarter" reads like you need fires (doh)... Napoli secs are SAP and her main battery is not all that amazing at starting fires. 

[KCWY1]
Members
273 posts
10,818 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Not really familiar with the Dockyard mission but "firestarter" reads like you need fires (doh)... Napoli secs are SAP and her main battery is not all that amazing at starting fires. 

This.  If you are looking to start fires with a cruiser, you get one that is great at HE spam, not secondaries.

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
651 posts
45,199 battles

Go to lower Tier and take the 152mm Mogami

Edited by Musket22
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
18 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

Smoking up, staying concealed and watching those secondary sap shells hit has turn more than one bb. I guess the threat of torps might help that though.

I already said Napoli's the only one worth anything for "secondaries" and no other Cruiser out there is worth it.  Even Agir's secondaries suck ***.

Torpedoes will scare a Battleship player.  Not Cruiser Secondaries.

• Meh 2

[SPTR]
Members
28,204 posts
20,714 battles

secondary hit missions: use your Schlieffen.

dockyard firestarter mission: whatever cruiser is good at causing alot of fires in your book, for me its Henri & Colbert.

I get you are trying to hit 2 birds with one stone, but what others have said before me, Napoli is the only cruiser out there with good secondaries but those secondaries can't start fires.

Youre better off running into battle in a secondary spec BB and if you get sunk early, you can bring out a firestarter cruiser.

[RLGN]
Members
18,935 posts
34,496 battles
2 hours ago, Arcus_Aesopi said:

Cruiser fires? Or secondary hits?

Fires I generally use Helena

Secondaries if it’s generic, I just use GkF. (Don’t have Shif, no plans currently to get it.)

I play effectively just Co-op, and don’t really have trouble with such missions.

With a couple exceptions, I’ve cleared all the Dockyard missions up to the set that just activated today in Co-op.

(-)

Before the skill change I would have said Genoa was a good secondary cruiser. Not sure what to say now; don’t really think about cruisers and secondary hits in the same thought.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[ERK]
Members
880 posts
14,116 battles

I did the mission in Boise, 15 guns with 12.0% fire chance, on a 10s reload. Had back to back Coop games with 15 or so fires and a random flood or two on a sub. Easy peasy.

[NGA-A]
Volunteer Moderator
315 posts
9,023 battles
7 hours ago, Arcus_Aesopi said:

No worries - moved it for you and left a link. If you find that you posted in the wrong section, use the "report" button on yourself and add "posted to wrong section" as the details, along with the section that you'd like it moved to. 

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,935 posts
34,496 battles
4 hours ago, Superczar said:

I did the mission in Boise, 15 guns with 12.0% fire chance, on a 10s reload. Had back to back Coop games with 15 or so fires and a random flood or two on a sub. Easy peasy.

Pretty much this.

Just looked at the mission. It's just cruiser fires and etc.

Use any cruiser you're comfortable with that starts lots of fires, OP.

Getting whacked is somewhat less of a concern in Co-op, especially if the bots decide someone else is 'IT.'

Pick a flank and flame away.

[SALVO]
Members
27,924 posts
40,347 battles
55 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much this.

Just looked at the mission. It's just cruiser fires and etc.

Use any cruiser you're comfortable with that starts lots of fires, OP.

Getting whacked is somewhat less of a concern in Co-op, especially if the bots decide someone else is 'IT.'

Pick a flank and flame away.

The BB mission also includes starting fires (or getting cits).  Brit BBs are best, but can be done with other BBs too, though you will find yourself giving up a lot of potential damage by not using AP.  That said, since it's a start fires OR get cits, using AP at closer range and when you're getting clean broadsides is the better choice.  The last thing you want to do is bring HE to an AP fight.

[ERK]
Members
880 posts
14,116 battles
29 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The BB mission also includes starting fires (or getting cits).  Brit BBs are best, but can be done with other BBs too, though you will find yourself giving up a lot of potential damage by not using AP.  That said, since it's a start fires OR get cits, using AP at closer range and when you're getting clean broadsides is the better choice.  The last thing you want to do is bring HE to an AP fight.

I did that in Ohio, secondaries for fires, and 457s for smashing cruisers. There as a mission for one of the Brazil sets for 1000 secondary hits, so I used Pommern and that helped get some fire action too.

[DDG65]
Beta Testers
777 posts

1000 2ndry hits mission?  got it in one PVE battle! :cap_rambo:

shot-22.09.06_03.14.41-0765.jpg

2ndry Cruiser you ask? 

Pickings are pretty slim..going with currently available ships you basically answered your own question on that one.  

Pick one with lots of 2ndry guns.  Mount secondary battery mod 1, that 2ndry signal flag for that extra bit of reach and maybe even those fire starting flags to improve fire starting % ,  and perhaps that 2 point commander skill "demolition expert" will help too.

• Cool 1

[AM-PM]
Members
301 posts
8,087 battles
15 hours ago, SureBridge said:

No worries - moved it for you and left a link. If you find that you posted in the wrong section, use the "report" button on yourself and add "posted to wrong section" as the details, along with the section that you'd like it moved to. 

Thank you!

[COOP2]
Members
536 posts
11,943 battles
On 9/5/2022 at 5:54 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I already said Napoli's the only one worth anything for "secondaries" and no other Cruiser out there is worth it.  Even Agir's secondaries suck ***.

Napoli is easily the best. Range is not the furthest but still very good, especially compared to a concealment setup, however very high accuracy, good volume of fire, and SAP rounds do the job with hitting targets and damage output.

I don't have Agir, but looking at the stats the secondaries have that high German HE penetration and put out a decent amount of rounds, but the accuracy is just terrible. It's sort of like when you have a secondary build battleship with a 6 point captain. Sure you have the range but most of the shots don't hit and the secondaries become rather ineffective.

The French super heavy cruisers from tier 8 to 10 look promising because they have a very good range, and better accuracy than normal, but still nothing like Napoli's accuracy. I don't think anyone is setting them up for secondaries and when I asked I got told not to try it. Best guess is a "light" build with aiming systems and top grade gunner, which you would probably use anyway (no sacrifices to your normal setup) and if the secondaries happen to do something, then it's a bonus.

[AM-PM]
Members
301 posts
8,087 battles

Thanks for the comments!  I did end up just cycling through the German cruisers until I finished the Fire missions... one round of Schlieffen to finish off the secondaries.  Napoli was the secondary king for cruisers but the fires just were inadequate to progress the two disparate missions the way I wanted.

Fair winds and following seas!

[5D3]
Members
1,483 posts
On 9/6/2022 at 4:35 AM, Arcus_Aesopi said:

Schlieffen is king when it comes to secondary hits. In my experience it is also very capable when it comes to missions that require damage using battleships. The combination of her speed, main battery, secondary guns, and torpedoes is great in finishing missions in PVE.

I assigned Lutjens to the ship, and his talents have snatched kills from my team mates a lot of times, that I lost count already. 😄

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
8 minutes ago, Hukom said:

Schlieffen is king when it comes to secondary hits. In my experience it is also very capable when it comes to missions that require damage using battleships. The combination of her speed, main battery, secondary guns, and torpedoes is great in finishing missions in PVE.

I assigned Lutjens to the ship, and his talents have snatched kills from my team mates a lot of times, that I lost count already. 😄

If you can get Schlieffen in a position where she has targets on both sides of the ship, and both sides secondaries firing and torps launched, she's simply too awesome.  I have mine in IFHE Secondaries Build complete with Brisk + Stealth Build, while using Lutjens.

===

I have SBM1 in Slot 3 for my Prinz Eugen, complete with Top Grade Gunner that has a modest secondaries reload to go with it.  I had a Killer Whale run today where the secondaries did 35k.  Secondaries range is 9.1km.  Don't expect too much for it though.  You're not a Mini Bismarck.  I wouldn't rely on it, but it gives some supplemental damage.  Of course the value varies greatly depending on the Op.  I don't think you'll get a whole lot of mileage from those secondaries in Aegis and Cherry Blossom.

3OUuMq8.jpegYROQHi4.jpeg

I slotted SBM1 a very long time ago because there was nothing else to do.  She already has Cruiser accuracy.  Turret traverse is fine.  I don't want the torp upgrade there.  AA upgrades and skills are a total joke.  So SBM1 it is.

gfh0O4E.jpeg