You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xtraBlood

AP bombs: Does altitude matter?

5 comments in this topic

[BBOTS]
Members
35 posts
1,136 battles

Does anyone have an answer to this? I have been going on older topics and nobody knew anything. Is it purely RNG? Is it like the muzzle velocity on shells? Should I stop trying to drop at max height to try and get citadels?

Edited by xtraBlood

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,838 posts
23,193 battles

It really depends on your target.  Experience has taught me that in order to citadel Cruisers, you'll want to slow down during the dive and drop at the last moment.  For BB's you'll want to boost into your dive and drop from altitude.  But I can't say with clarity, however I can at least call one person who should be able to answer your question with more clarity.

@Ahskance  Your knowledge is wanted here. :Smile_great:

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,279 posts
16,059 battles
39 minutes ago, Volron said:

It really depends on your target.  Experience has taught me that in order to citadel Cruisers, you'll want to slow down during the dive and drop at the last moment.  For BB's you'll want to boost into your dive and drop from altitude.  But I can't say with clarity, however I can at least call one person who should be able to answer your question with more clarity.

@Ahskance  Your knowledge is wanted here. :Smile_great:

Quick answer: Altitude doesn't matter in a gravity sense.  The higher the altitude the better the likely strike angle which can help in getting citadels.  Lower angles can make for more sideways angles which can remove pen and help with citadeling cruisers.

I've listed IJN and German Bombing Angle videos below.  There are more videos in the "CV Attacking Style by Nation/Premium" section about bombs, too.

-

From my CV Compendium Post: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/239175-ahskances-lesson-compendium-the-overly-large-videobook-of-cv-everything-updated-91921-and-added-submarine-section/

image.png

IJN Bombing Angles:

German Bombing Angles:

image.png

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,302 posts
11,874 battles

In my experience, the lower the better.

In my experience the lower you drop the less chance of bombs drifting off target and/or

giving the target slightly more time to manuever in such a way as to avoid most of the bombs.

[A-D-F]
Members
698 posts
On 9/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, xtraBlood said:

Does anyone have an answer to this? I have been going on older topics and nobody knew anything. Is it purely RNG? Is it like the muzzle velocity on shells? Should I stop trying to drop at max height to try and get citadels?

"Training Grounds" is your friend to experiment with different nations ships and classes

In my limited experience only the German CVs and the Enterprise required high speed , high altitude drops against BBs. To improve the odds that a bomb hits the deck at the correct angle to reach a target BBs citadel.