You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FungusMcChungus

IJN Maya: A cheaper Atago?

34 comments in this topic

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles

I'm in a bit of a dilemma... I'm interested in eventually purchasing the Atago, the oldest premium in game, but her little sister Maya in Tier VII looks quite enticing too... How does Maya compare to her older sister? Is she worth it? I would have bothered LWM, but I guess she needs the rest she's getting.... So, I'm asking you guys... What are your thoughts?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles

Maya:

• Only 8 guns
  • Better AA, but not by that much
  • Better secondaries, but neither are good secondary ships
  • Reload booster
  • More torpedo damage
  • Heal

Atago:

• 10 guns
  • Better reload
  • More range on the torpedoes
  • Better armor
  • Heal
  • Better concealment
Edited by Lert
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Maya:

• Only 8 guns
  • Reload booster
  • More torpedo damage

Atago:

• 10 guns
  • Better reload
  • Better armor
  • Heal

Doesn't Mata also have heals, Lert?

Thx, btw

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles
1 minute ago, FungusMcChungus said:

Doesn't Mata also have heals, Lert?

She actually does, yes. I will amend.

[1984]
Members
4,978 posts
26,021 battles

I saw maya doingvery well in narai. But other than that do you want to play tier 7 and face tier 9 ships or play tier 8 and face tier 10 ships is really what you are asking.

Edited by monpetitloup

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
4 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I saw maya doingvery well in narai. But other than that do you want to play tier 7 and face tier 9 ships or play tier 8 and face tier 10 ships is really what you are asking.

I prefer being a T7 against a T9 rather than a T8 against a T10. Games with T8 as bottom generally tend to be severely more lopsided than in those with T7 as bottom tiers.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles
5 minutes ago, FungusMcChungus said:

I prefer being a T7 against a T9 rather than a T8 against a T10. Games with T8 as bottom generally tend to be severely more lopsided than in those with T7 as bottom tiers.

That ... doesn't really make sense. Games with T8 - T10 tend to have the same amount of T8s on either side. How does that lead to more lopsided battles?

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

That ... doesn't really make sense. Games with T8 - T10 tend to have the same amount of T8s on either side. How does that lead to more lopsided battles?

From the few T8 battles I've been thru, (looking at you Scrapshire) those matches ended rather quickly if there were more T10s than T8s, but as you said, those with T8s seemed more engaging tho. Those were about 40% of the matches.

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

The reason I said that is that I currently have more experience playing T7s against T9s than T8s against T10s, simply because I usually play T7 matches and recently started T8 games because I got the Hampshire almost for free... 3.5 mil cred to be exact.

[WPORT]
Members
19,353 posts
21,800 battles
5 hours ago, FungusMcChungus said:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma... I'm interested in eventually purchasing the Atago, the oldest premium in game, but her little sister Maya in Tier VII looks quite enticing too... How does Maya compare to her older sister? Is she worth it? I would have bothered LWM, but I guess she needs the rest she's getting.... So, I'm asking you guys... What are your thoughts?

During a collaboration event with the anime "Arpeggio of Blue Steel", I welcomed the ARP Takao to my port.
I liked her so much, that I welcomed the rest of her sisters to my Port (ARP Takao, Atago, Atago-B, ARP Maya).

Then, later on, WOWs introduced the non-ARP ship, namely the Maya.
She's on my "someday" list.  But, for the moment, she's not in my Port.

For a long time, being a Tier-7 ship could be beneficial because a Tier-7 ship could play in at least one Scenario Operation for the fun and the increased earnings.
Tier-8 ships couldn't do that, for a long time.
Now, with Scenario Operations that were "on hiatus" being returned to the game, the Tier-8 ships will eventually have access to operations.

I don't have the non-ARP Maya, but do plan to welcome her to my Port, someday, even if it is merely for the "collector value".  I can say that the Atago is a capable ship and is fun to play.

I realize that's not much to go on.  Hopefully, others will chime-in with a better comparison of features and their own review.  

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,410 posts
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Maya:

• Only 8 guns
  • Reload booster
  • More torpedo damage
  • Heal

Atago:

• 10 guns
  • Better reload
  • Better armor
  • Heal

You forgot better concealment on the Atago (11.52 vs 12.4).

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles
19 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

You forgot better concealment on the Atago (11.52 vs 12.4).

Right. Post amended.

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles

Should I buy the Maya, then?... I'm a bit tight on my wallet... i intend to own both sisters eventually

Edited by FungusMcChungus

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,528 posts
26,254 battles
30 minutes ago, FungusMcChungus said:

Should I buy the Maya, then?... I'm a bit tight on my wallet... i intend to own both sisters eventually

The last people you should ask what to do with your money is strangers on the internet. Especially strangers who don't know the first thing about what you enjoy, what you don't, what you want from your entertainment and without any insight into your economical situation.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[CSIC]
Beta Testers
860 posts
1,419 battles

If you plan on owning both eventually anyway it won't really matter which you get first. I would just get Maya now and Atago later on. This way you can learn the ships with Maya and when you get Atago you will know exactly what to expect when going up against tier 10 ships. :cap_like:

Members
1,376 posts
1 hour ago, FungusMcChungus said:

Use this website, open two windows simultaneously, choose Maya in one and Atago in another. You'll get a detailed comparison (except armor).

https://wowsft.com/ship

[WOLFC]
Members
5,898 posts
16,516 battles

Atago has been around for ages and continues to be popular and deliver consistent performance.

She’s the much safer bet, all things considered. If you enjoy Atago, you can then consider if Maya is worth the investment.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[DDG65]
Beta Testers
776 posts
2 hours ago, FungusMcChungus said:

there is always the coin toss method.

Alphabetically

Atago = Heads

Maya = Tails.

Pick an odd number of tosses to make, like 5 for example.  So,, best 3 out 5 of tosses wins and that is what you go with. 

It is up to you.  Just trying to help you avoid analysis paralysis.

• Funny 1

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

The last people you should ask what to do with your money is strangers on the internet. Especially strangers who don't know the first thing about what you enjoy, what you don't, what you want from your entertainment and without any insight into your economical situation.

True that

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
11 minutes ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

there is always the coin toss method.

Alphabetically

Atago = Heads

Maya = Tails.

Pick an odd number of tosses to make, like 5 for example.  So,, best 3 out 5 of tosses wins and that is what you go with. 

It is up to you.  Just trying to help you avoid analysis paralysis.

Tails it is

Members
79 posts
2,062 battles
2 hours ago, Tank3rDude said:

If you plan on owning both eventually anyway it won't really matter which you get first. I would just get Maya now and Atago later on. This way you can learn the ships with Maya and when you get Atago you will know exactly what to expect when going up against tier 10 ships. :cap_like:

It appears I'll be taking a similar line

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
982 posts
14,113 battles

I have them both and think both are very good ships. I have a full AA build on the Maya and it can be hilarious. I especially like it when two tier 6 CVs show up.  You play them differently. Atago's great concealment allows you to open water and stealth torp. Maya has short range, very fast fish that are very powerful. She can be a knife fighter.  I also think Maya is an excellent choice for ranked. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,675 posts
30,011 battles

I have Atago and think it is probably the best IJN cruiser in the game, maybe the best cruiser at its tier of all nations. I want Maya but am going to wait until they put her in the tier 7 ship crates that you get for Community Tokens. I have most of what is offered in them so pulling her is almost a given, just will take a bit of time to amass all the tokens I need. I am not looking to use actual money or doubloons to buy any ships that do not represent steel rewards for Snowflake events so will just farm the free ones.