Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kuramitsu

New Tier VI German CL Leipzig

18 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
671 posts

4RVqWUUr44nDBFL9ANJm94YbL1UBwhDoVzRfKGIq.thumb.jpg.4f1d11b2378a075e51fe468f3f1549b1.jpg

A light cruiser, a development of the Königsberg-class ships, which differs from its predecessors by a different turret layout and slightly modified defenses.

Leipzig, like her sister ship – researchable cruiser Nürnberg – is armed with nine 150mm main battery guns and four triple torpedo tubes, and is equipped with HE shells that have high armor penetration capabilities and AP shells with high damage. She has good concealment and the trademark German Hydroacoustic Search consumable. However, she has weak armor and AA weapons, as well as a slow main battery turret traverse speed.

Unlike Nürnberg, Leipzig's gameplay is weighted toward torpedo attacks, as her torpedoes have a high range. Because of this, as well as her good concealment, the ship can attack targets with torpedoes from a comfortable range while remaining undetected.

Ship stats:

Hit points – 26200. Plating - 16 mm. Fires duration: 30 s. Torpedo protection - 4 %.
Main battery - 3x3 150 mm. Firing range - 13.5 km.
Maximum HE shell damage – 1700. HE shell armor penetration - 38 mm. Chance to cause fire – 8%. HE initial velocity - 960 m/s.
Maximum AP shell damage - 3900. AP initial velocity - 960 m/s.
Reload time - 7.2 s. 180 degree turn time - 30.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 126 m. Sigma – 2.00.

Depth Charge Airstrike:
Reload time - 30.0 s. Available flights - 1. Number of Aircraft in Attacking Flight - 1. Maximum range - 6.0 km. Number of Bombs in Payload - 1. Maximum bomb damage - 3400.0.

Torpedo tubes - 4x3 533 mm.
Maximum damage - 13700. Range - 10.0 km. Speed - 59 kt. Reload time - 68 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

Secondary Armament:
3x2 88.0 mm, range  - 5.6 km.
Maximum HE shell damage – 1000. Chance to cause fire – 4%. HE initial velocity - 950 m/s

AA defense: 4x1 20.0 mm., 3x2 88.0 mm., 4x2 37.0 mm.
AA defense short-range: continuous damage per second - 39, hit probability - 85 %, action zone - 2.0 km;
AA defense mid-range: continuous damage per second - 21, hit probability - 90 %, action zone - 3.5 km;
AA defense long-range: continuous damage per second - 46, hit probability - 90 %, action zone - 4.6 km;
Number of explosions in a salvo - 1, damage within an explosion - 1050, action zone 3.5 - 4.6 km.

Maximum speed - 32.0 kt. Turning circle radius - 700 m. Rudder shift time – 7.3 s. Surface detectability – 9.7 km. Air detectability – 5.5 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke  – 4.4 km.

Available consumables:
1 slot - Damage Control Party
2 slot - Hydroacoustic Search (Duration time 110 s; Torpedo detection range 3.8 km; Ship detection range 5.5 km; Reload time 120 s; Charges 3)
3 slot - Defensive AA Fire
4 slot - Fighter 

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Leipzig

Leipzig_07a.thumb.jpg.1b9c90ea47317ebf33b7eacadde2f3d1.jpg

14827921_Bundesarchiv_DVM_10_Bild-23-63-69_Leichter_Kreuzer__Nrnberg_.jpg.8d0bc7301c91eec7b3e9628943fc3768.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles

Whatever you do, keep Prinz Eugen away from poor Leipzig at all costs.

Prinz Eugen almost cleaved Leipzig in two in 1944.  It looked and read quite bad.

0rcn0dx5wf211.jpg?auto=webp&s=5b9ec58830gqfpdp75hgu51.jpg

5757103707_8d2dbb2ecd.jpg

Prinz Eugen would recover from this, but Leipzig suffered casualties, along with damage that Germany at that stage of the war was not going to repair.  From Leipzig's wikipedia page:

"On 14 October, Leipzig departed Gotenhafen, bound for Swinemünde, to take on a load of mines. In a heavy fog, she collided with the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, which was steaming at 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph). At the time of collision, Leipzig was switching from her diesel cruise engines to her steam turbine main engines, a process of first uncoupling the diesels from the shafts and then coupling turbines to the shafts, which left the ship temporarily without propulsion, drifting out of her fairway into the path of Prinz Eugen which was moving the opposite direction. Prinz Eugen struck Leipzig on her port side, just forward of her funnel, cutting her nearly in half - the forward point of the clipper bow of Prinz Eugen actually stuck out beyond the starboard side of Leipzig. The collision destroyed the number 3 (port) engine room, flooded a second engine room and killed or wounded 39 crewmen. The ships remained stuck fast for over a day, after which Leipzig was towed back to Gotenhafen. The damage was so severe that repairs were deemed impractical, especially considering Germany's pressing military situation by late 1944. Only repairs to keep her afloat in the harbor were effected."

• Cool 4

[WPORT]
Members
19,353 posts
21,800 battles

:cap_wander_2:

• Meh 1

Members
1,262 posts
8,392 battles
3 hours ago, Kuramitsu said:

Main battery - 3x3 150 mm. Firing range - 13.5 km.

is this an error or what? both konigsberg and Nurnberg have 16.5KM with the upgraded module :Smile_amazed:

Members
3,190 posts
2,959 battles
55 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

At the time of collision, Leipzig was switching from her diesel cruise engines to her steam turbine main engines, a process of first uncoupling the diesels from the shafts and then coupling turbines to the shafts, which left the ship temporarily without propulsion, drifting out of her fairway into the path of Prinz Eugen which was moving the opposite direction.

I would love to know what choice words Prinz Eugen's captain had for Leipzig's captain. Hmmm, I just got Prinz Eugen(AGAIN, Wargaming has given me a rental 4 times now).

[ARGSY]
Members
982 posts
14,113 battles
13 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

is this an error or what? both konigsberg and Nurnberg have 16.5KM with the upgraded module :Smile_amazed:

You are trading gun firepower for torpedo range. Not a bad trade-it might be fun. But I really love German six inch guns. That range would be hard for me to give up. 

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
358 posts
14,034 battles
1 hour ago, handybilly said:

You are trading gun firepower for torpedo range. Not a bad trade-it might be fun. But I really love German six inch guns. That range would be hard for me to give up. 

How about giving up fire rate and traverse speed as well? 7.2s reload, 20% nerf compared to Nürnberg 6s. The turrets of Leipzig take 30s to traverse, Nurnberg takes 23.7s. Plus your AA is comparably much worse.

Your getting better torps and concealment at the cost of your guns and AA.

Members
482 posts
9,739 battles
14 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

Why would you want to pick this instead of just playing a DD?

I agree, if you want to play a ship that's good at firing torpedo's then just play a destroyer.

[LWC]
Members
305 posts
705 battles
17 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

Because DD's don't have nine 6" guns as well? 

[ARR0W]
Members
5,973 posts
32,064 battles
2 hours ago, Telastyn said:

Wait, so it somehow has worse armor than the Nurnberg?

Below a certain threshold, no armor is best armor. 

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
358 posts
14,034 battles
3 hours ago, mashed68 said:

DD’s also don’t have citadels.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles

I thought the OP was making a suggestion for WG to make Leipzig.  I did not realize she was actually an announced ship in a recent DevBlog.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/368

4RVqWUUr44nDBFL9ANJm94YbL1UBwhDoVzRfKGIq

For an Operations perspective, Leipzig being a Tier VI would have made her a very good Ops CL.  But with Operations soon becoming Tier VI-VIII, Leipzig will never have that chance to shine in Ops because you'll bring a Tier VIII ship instead.  And there's a good selection of German Tier VIII Cruisers.  Had Leipzig released like, a year ago, I'd know a bunch of guys that would have bought her for Operations.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-D-F]
Members
491 posts
8,928 battles
8 hours ago, mashed68 said:

Except the german t6 one does have 4, and so does 1 of the premium t6 ones. 

Edited by Forgotten_Void

[FRFR]
Members
1,608 posts
12 hours ago, mashed68 said:

Leipzig has great concealment for a CL, but DDs will outspot you handily, and then you're going to get murdered by their teammates.  And the gun range hampers your ability to farm like most CLs do, since you have to play so close to the front.  Nurnbergs already have a reputation for exploding, which is why you play them from range.

[WMD]
Members
2,131 posts
12,805 battles

It looks like a boat developed by people who don't really play the game, marketed to people who don't know any better. 

Nerfing her RoF would have been a trade-off for the torps, but nerfing range, and RoF for questionable torps?  

[WPORT]
Members
19,353 posts
21,800 battles
On 9/2/2022 at 12:45 AM, SeaGladius said:

On 9/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, Acme1970 said:

I agree, if you want to play a ship that's good at firing torpedo's then just play a destroyer.

Might be just me, since I play all ship types...
But, torpedoing a Destroyer while saling a Battleship never seems to get old.  :-)

DD's are nimble targets, for the most part.  Hiting one of them with a torpedo is satisfying, no matter what ship/plane I'm doing it with.

Sign in to follow this