You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Slayer

The picture we have been waiting to see

5 comments in this topic

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,606 posts
20,073 battles

She is high and dry

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Cool 10
  • Thanks 2

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,820 battles

Wow, such a long time coming.  Could just imagine where would you even start on a keel that hasn't seen the light of day in so, so long.

Just glad Texas is finally getting the love she so finally deserves.

• Thanks 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,549 posts
26,057 battles

Surprised the old hull can still take the weight of the ship resting on it. I was worried it might be so weakened by rust that it would just collapse.

How long is the reconstruction supposed to take?

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,855 posts
6,988 battles

The best thing they could do, even though it is ahistorical, would be to clean and repair the hull then coat it with modern two-part epoxy marine paints that are nearly impervious to corrosion and will last 50+ years.  Not cheap, but certainly worth using to prevent loss of the ship for the foreseeable future.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,606 posts
20,073 battles
19 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Surprised the old hull can still take the weight of the ship resting on it. I was worried it might be so weakened by rust that it would just collapse.

How long is the reconstruction supposed to take?

I've heard approx a year or so.

10 hours ago, Murotsu said:

The best thing they could do, even though it is ahistorical, would be to clean and repair the hull then coat it with modern two-part epoxy marine paints that are nearly impervious to corrosion and will last 50+ years.  Not cheap, but certainly worth using to prevent loss of the ship for the foreseeable future.

From what I understand (been reading several posts including ones from BTF) the torpedo blisters are coming off and lower hull is being repaired before the blisters are restored.

From what I understand most of the recent drydockings and repairs of USS Slater and USS Cod have had the epoxy marine paint used on the bottom of the hull. While not historical, it is more practical for preserving the hull. USS Iowa and USS Olympia have also been using it along the waterline using their special 'cofferdam' to repair sections of the hull at the wind/water line.

image.jpeg.f4d5f968b889518360ac11f305d55b1c.jpeg