You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_uO7eEzhrDxsi

Am I a Potato?

30 comments in this topic

Members
687 posts

For the most part I'd say yeah. I'm nothing special and certainly not in a position to question or condemn other people's choices of ships as much as I seem to do too often. I have a simple 52% win rate which is suffering  and falling at the moment. It's frustrating but a part of the game these days. The things I learned to bring me wins a long time ago just don't seem to work and my potato head has a hard time with newer concepts and especially today's BB play style. I'm attempting to learn to play heavy cruisers but it seems this is going to be a very slow process. It's frustrating part 2. The screen shots that are included are my games today and pretty typical of how I do these days. 

So take me with a grain of salt as I learn two important lessons in my life. Impart to me grace and forgiveness as I learn to impart grace to others more often. 

Lyon1.jpg

Rooke2.jpg

• Cool 2

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
536 posts
14,787 battles

We are all potatoes. 

• Cool 1

[VORTX]
Members
847 posts
11,985 battles

I’d say absolutely not. 52/3% is tough as heck as a BB main. You have the least influence over a match. You’re just going through a rough patch. Without support in many situations you’re just screwed. 

• Thanks 2
  • Boring 2

[GOB]
Members
4,227 posts
23,258 battles

WR can be manipulated and it has a LOT to do with what ships you play and an what Tiers.

Don't sweat WR.

Win or Lose I use the final XP boards to see how good I am .  As long as I am in the top 3 most of the time I know I am doing ok.

JUST HAVE FUN!

That was a fast Whinerface this post got. Dont be scared and hide Prove me wrong.. I will wait. :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
27,924 posts
40,347 battles
25 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

We are all potatoes. 

Idaho, Maine, or Russet (among others)?

[D-PN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,931 posts
7,461 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Idaho, Maine, or Russet (among others)?

Myself? I am a baked potatoe!

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

@Pruschen Your 5707 Random battles with 52.5% WR says no.  Just breaking 50% WR already made you one of the few.

Only 35% of the players of this game have 50% or higher WR%.

That said, your stats say 87% of your Randoms experience has been with Battleships.   So you do have work to get up to speed on Cruisers.  The good thing for you is that you should be able to apply your experience eventually and get better in Cruisers.  Remember the things you looked for when you played as a BB to smash Cruisers and avoid being in that situation.  Remember what it was that Cruiser players did to annoy you as a Battleship, and put that to practice.

The Cruiser Lines are pretty different, so GL in finding the ones that you like.

Looking over your Cruiser stats, one thing I will say is you've been jumping up the different lines to Tier X.  You have numerous Tier Xs but very little played within their lines.  I recommend picking one and do a bunch of games on each ship of a line from low to mid tiers.  Get a feel of the changes, get used to them as you move up the tiers.  Jumping straight to Tier X Cruisers with not much time in Cruisers in general can be kind of rough.  You've had more time and success with German Cruisers though but your time in Tier VI-IX with them is minimal.  See how it is playing them in those tiers without the advantages Hindenburg has, and try to make the most out of them.

Not all these attempts will work out good though.  I'm a Cruiser Main and there's some Cruisers that just don't work out for me.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
15,947 posts
22,927 battles

Not at all looked you up. You are solid. I do however recommend you take the time to spread out into the other ship types more. It will improve your play as a BB.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

0 posts

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm frustrated but having a good time at the same time. Not sure that makes sense. In self reflection I'm coming to grips with my tendency to blame certain ships in a match for the losses. Dumb to do, but there it is. That in itself is bothering me. All I can really control is my own game play and fight against my own stats to get better. Cruisers in tiers 5, 6, and 7 seem weak and not very forgiving. I don't seem to last very long in them during a game. I do admit my favorite and most survivable cruisers are the tier 9 and 10 heavy cruisers.

• Cool 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,612 posts
20,079 battles
57 minutes ago, Pruschen said:

For the most part I'd say yeah. I'm nothing special and certainly not in a position to question or condemn other people's choices of ships as much as I seem to do too often. I have a simple 52% win rate which is suffering  and falling at the moment. It's frustrating but a part of the game these days. The things I learned to bring me wins a long time ago just don't seem to work and my potato head has a hard time with newer concepts and especially today's BB play style. I'm attempting to learn to play heavy cruisers but it seems this is going to be a very slow process. It's frustrating part 2. The screen shots that are included are my games today and pretty typical of how I do these days. 

So take me with a grain of salt as I learn two important lessons in my life. Impart to me grace and forgiveness as I learn to impart grace to others more often. 

I think we all have game moments we’d like to forget. But we also have those moments we shine.

There are many variables that take place in this game. You and 11 other people are trying to do the best they can so their team will win. But everyone has different ideas on how to do that. There is also the RNG factor: a shell fired across the map will pen the side of a ship or bounce off a deck. A pixel of an island is just enough to explode a torpedo about to get the kill shot on another ship. That one random HE shell will set the fire that ends you, after you just DC’d a double fire.

Win-rates only give part of the story. The XP you earned and the damaged you caused say another.

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,302 posts
16,062 battles
21 minutes ago, Pruschen said:

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm frustrated but having a good time at the same time. Not sure that makes sense. In self reflection I'm coming to grips with my tendency to blame certain ships in a match for the losses. Dumb to do, but there it is. That in itself is bothering me. All I can really control is my own game play and fight against my own stats to get better. Cruisers in tiers 5, 6, and 7 seem weak and not very forgiving. I don't seem to last very long in them during a game. I do admit my favorite and most survivable cruisers are the tier 9 and 10 heavy cruisers.

If you're trying to get back into the game, I might recommend not playing Cruisers until you feel more comfortable reading/feeling out the battle at hand.  Cruisers having less armor and a citadel that can get nailed makes for a tough combo while you're getting your feet wet again. 

Destroyers not having a Citadel and reduced detection allows more room for decision-making while Battleships having armor and heals gives a measure of time to feel situations out.  Definitely look to pick up cruisers again as you feel more and more comfortable with how the battle flows.

[META_]
Members
256 posts
3,073 battles
31 minutes ago, Pruschen said:

I think you answered your own question here...

Cruisers in tiers 5, 6, and 7 seem weak and not very forgiving. I don't seem to last very long in them during a game.

What @HazeGrayUnderway mentioned is important.  Cruisers are more survivable than destroyers, but they can vaporize in a blink.  You like the high tier heavy cruisers because they don't mist their way back to port like some wayward magician's trick.  However, that survivability is just slight of hand if you are positioned incorrectly.  Yeah, you will live longer, but your affect on the game is really no different.  Everybody else has more armor, more jukes, more of everything.  You plinging around for more time does not do more to help your team.

Maybe spend more time in the Tier VI - VIII cruisers BECAUSE they force proper positioning, proper timing, and proper targeting.

Then again, note my WR.  Me is trash.:cap_horn:

• Thanks 1

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
536 posts
14,787 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_JollyRoger said:

Myself? I am a baked potatoe!

Damn, beat me to it!

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

Not at all looked you up. You are solid. I do however recommend you take the time to spread out into the other ship types more. It will improve your play as a BB.

Cheers.

Some play time in Destroyers was an eye opening experience.  To see what it's like stalking targets, and finding the signs that make one target more ideal than another for a torpedo attack.  This helps immensely to one's BB play because Destroyers love chucking fish at big, fat targets.  Also help to see the perspective of the DD player as they try to probe around the lines and the caps.  It helped in my later experience playing Cruisers that closely support Destroyers like RNCLs or Radar Cruisers.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
15,947 posts
22,927 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Some play time in Destroyers was an eye opening experience.  To see what it's like stalking targets, and finding the signs that make one target more ideal than another for a torpedo attack.  This helps immensely to one's BB play because Destroyers love chucking fish at big, fat targets.  Also help to see the perspective of the DD player as they try to probe around the lines and the caps.  It helped in my later experience playing Cruisers that closely support Destroyers like RNCLs or Radar Cruisers.

So good. ^^^

You start to learn to pre dodge the torps. So easy to throw of torps just by messing with rudder and speed. 

• Cool 1

0 posts

Man, all good responses! I love learning the cruiser play after feeling like I was growing mold on myself in the BB. I'm definitely going to ease up on people playing boat classes I don't think play well in the game. It's their game and deserve to have fun.

[KUK-M]
[KUK-M]
Members
486 posts
44,728 battles

Hey, remember the potato is the super root vegetable...

potato.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[META_]
Members
256 posts
3,073 battles
1 hour ago, Pruschen said:

Man, all good responses! I love learning the cruiser play after feeling like I was growing mold on myself in the BB. I'm definitely going to ease up on people playing boat classes I don't think play well in the game. It's their game and deserve to have fun.

Give the British battlecruisers a try.

Battleship guns, better accuracy, better mobility, and stealthier.  Might be the sweet spot for you.  I'm really enjoying them...

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
1 hour ago, Pruschen said:

After playing a bunch of games in the different ship types, I learned that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.  DDs, Cruisers, Battleships are all good in certain functions and terrible at others.

The Destroyer Lyfe in particular has the craziest peaks and valleys in the game.  If your team is winning, chances are as a DD you had the major role to play in that.  A team's DDs winning out against the other's DDs is the start of the classic Steamroller:  DDs up front, Cruisers and Battleships behind, and no enemy DDs left to stop you as a DD.  That's almost impossible to stop.  Even a Radar Cruiser can't stop it because if he tries to go in and Radar the DDs, he's getting shot up by the Cruisers and Battleships, as well as having to dodge torpedoes.

On the flip side to that is getting spotted by CVs, Radar Cruisers, Radar Destroyers, Hydro, getting focus fired.  You end up dying in the opening minutes of the start of shooting.

On the plus, you do well and you get +karma and respect.

On the negative, you screw up, everything is blamed on you.

Sometimes the DD player gets some really unfair expectations given a match situation.  I remember playing a Cruiser backing up the DD of our group.  He starts probing the cap and briefly spots 2 enemy DDs (he was our only DD in the area) and a Des Moines as it tucked just behind an island close to the cap.  Our DD backed out of the cap and all the guys of our group were screaming at him to get back in there and "Do your job."

I was all like, "Did you not see the 2:1 DD numbers and the Des Moines?" :Smile_hiding:

And the wonderful DD conundrum:  You're in a bad concealment Gunboat DD, but you're the only DD for your team on that half of the map.  What do you do? :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ARR0W]
Members
5,974 posts
32,079 battles
4 hours ago, Ahskance said:

If you're trying to get back into the game, I might recommend not playing Cruisers until you feel more comfortable reading/feeling out the battle at hand.  Cruisers having less armor and a citadel that can get nailed makes for a tough combo while you're getting your feet wet again. 

Destroyers not having a Citadel and reduced detection allows more room for decision-making while Battleships having armor and heals gives a measure of time to feel situations out.  Definitely look to pick up cruisers again as you feel more and more comfortable with how the battle flows.

Cruisers are indeed in a hard place, especially at high tiers except for those that are essentially mini-battleships. 

Carriers, increased barrel count/ caliber of BB guns and now the removal of 4% dispersion have been making traditional cruisers rare, if not an endangered species. 

0 posts
7 hours ago, Ahskance said:

Good advice. Thank you!

0 posts

I played a series of 3 games in cruisers and one game in BB tonight 2 tier 7 battles and a tier 8 with this result. I'm pretty happy as this is by far my best series in cruisers.

cruisers.jpg

Edited by Pruschen

Beta Testers
171 posts
7,217 battles
On 8/30/2022 at 12:55 PM, Type_93 said:

We are all potatoes. 

Po: WG believer.

Ta: You love this game.

Toe: The pain of ripping the tow ring from your nose is worse, or equal, to the pain of never playing again.

Buy more ships

F

ing game. ;)

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles

There is a saying, that "you are what you eat".
Tonight, I ate some potato chips.