You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
allenr

Receive 17 million hp in potential damage?!

56 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
5,841 battles

this dockyard event has this title in it for cruisers in the 2nd tier.

Does this mean i must die or take hits to receive these points?

After Battle detailed report shows Total damage received, eg. 30,000 hp

if so, that's die 500 times in a tier 6 cruiser, doesn't seem right, not gonna happen.

Was going to try for the Huron, but i don't think i'll bother, its too grindy, i still need a life.

• Funny 1
  • Sad 1

[CO-OP]
Members
37 posts
19,056 battles

You need to pick the right ship.  I finished it in 5 days and I only play 2 hours a day.  You need a solid medium/heavy cruiser. 

In Co-Op, just go straight in and get shot at.  If you die, pick another cruiser and play again.  Rinse and Repeat.

Its not as hard as is sounds.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
12,005 posts
21,175 battles

Try German BBs, Tier 7 and up. I almost forgot, potential damage is stupid as a mission but WG doesn't have much to choose from so they grasp at straws.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Meh 3

[REVY]
Members
9,635 posts
7,316 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Try German BBs, Tier 7 and up. I almost forgot, potential damage is stupid as a mission but WG doesn't have much to choose from so they grasp at straws.

German BBs for his cruiser mission?

• Funny 2
  • Haha 1

Members
872 posts
20 battles
28 minutes ago, allenr said:

if so, that's die 500 times in a tier 6 cruiser, doesn't seem right, not gonna happen.

Potential damage is the full damage amount from any enemy shells/torps etc that go near you, whether they hit or miss. In a decent game you might get 1 to 2 million potential damage in a single cruiser battle. 

You either want to pick extremely tanky cruisers, or cruisers that are very good at dodging incoming fire. Ideally you want to be shot at as much as possible while surviving for as long as possible. 

• Cool 3

[SPTR]
Members
28,204 posts
20,714 battles

get something thats has a combination of enough mobility to dodge, hitpoints to shrug off damage but optionally have crap enough concealment that everyone can see and shoot you all the time to maximise the most potential dmg out of every match.

french cruisers especially my lighthouse henri can fufill that, I've seen a Conde player get more than 6 million potential in one match if you dont have french cruisers get a large cruiser like Alaska or Stalingrad if you dont have those, just hope for the best with whatever US CAs, Russian CAs or Dutch cruisers you have.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,595 posts
36,462 battles

Agile fast moving cruiser required, Bayard, Colbert spring to mind.

[RLGN]
Members
18,935 posts
34,496 battles

Just another example of WG creating tasks based on the apparent presumption that all players are unicums; dodging fire and collecting PD like it’s nothing.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,266 posts
15,332 battles

Still stuck on this mission losing 5 of 6 games the last 3 nights trying to do this is frustrating .
In all fairness one night I was drunk and useless . But still forcing you to play a certain way to finish a mission just seems counter productive .

The missions should require you to play a fair amount use a different ship or ordinance here or there . But not purposely ask you to be put in harms way trying  to complete  .

It’s really not fair to your teammates not to good for the almighty WR either . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Meh 2

[62186]
Members
140 posts
7,049 battles

Not going to lie. I did this on my Azuma because she is such a juicy target everyone wants to blast that stern and got the mission completed in a couple of days.

Edited by Ekkaroe

[O_O]
Members
7,769 posts
21,274 battles

I don't know why several of you claim you have to play poorly to receive potential damage?

You need to play WELL.  The longer you survive the game, the more you will get shot at.  Don't hide behind an island all game.  Shoot at the enemy team and you will get shot at in return.  Play well to make yourself a harder target to hit.

If you charge in you will get focused and get sunk quickly, which doesn't equate to very much potential damage.

Having said all that, I did not finish that task to achieve stage completion.  I found getting damage with a battleship to be more reliable, and I have Smolensk to make the task for 325 ribbons in one battle easy.

If you have a mission you don't like in a stage, see if there are other missions you can complete so you can ignore it.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[TXC]
Beta Testers
213 posts
16,735 battles
3 hours ago, sh1ndl3rs_f1st said:

You need to pick the right ship.  I finished it in 5 days and I only play 2 hours a day.  You need a solid medium/heavy cruiser.  Just go straight in and get shot at.  If you die, pick another cruiser and play again.  Rinse and Repeat.

Its not as hard as is sounds.

Also Potential is best done in randoms,, not coops... also french cruisers fun for this mission because like the other guy said,, theyre juicy targets,, maintain distance and open water it...

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,302 posts
16,062 battles
4 hours ago, allenr said:

this dockyard event has this title in it for cruisers in the 2nd tier.

Was going to try for the Huron, but i don't think i'll bother, its too grindy, i still need a life.

Potential Damage is damage that was fired at you but fails to do damage.  It was "potentially a damaging attack".  You can rake up a LOT of Potential Damage in a single game by just having a long period of time where you are angled to incoming fire and being very hard to kill.

The most Potential Damage I received was in a Montana, but Cruisers can have 1-2 million Potential Damage in a single match if you angle well or juke incoming shells a few times.

You can see the most Potential Damage you've ever received by looking at your profile:

image.png

You can enable the Potential Damage counter to see in battle in settings:

image.png

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
2,893 posts
2,776 battles
11 minutes ago, Fool_of_a_Took said:

Also Potential is best done in randoms,, not coops... also french cruisers fun for this mission because like the other guy said,, theyre juicy targets,, maintain distance and open water it...

Depends.  I took out Hipper in Co-Op and had multiple games where I coaxed a BB and a couple cruisers to fixate on me, got over 1M PD in a couple minutes.

Edited by landcollector

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
1 hour ago, Ekkaroe said:

Not going to lie. I did this on my Azuma because she is such a juicy target everyone wants to blast that stern and got the mission completed in a couple of days.

image_2022-08-29_071219169.thumb.png.d4bb7d0946c60916d7d83fc647611942.png

• Funny 3

[WOLFG]
Members
16,778 posts
19,407 battles

Premiums:  Moskva, Alaska.

Tech tree:  U.S. Heavy line, German. 

It has gotten pretty easy in coop, if you keep them at medium+ range.  And don't give up your sides.

[WOLFX]
Members
290 posts
8,957 battles

Just a note, fire damage doesn't count towards potential damage.  So leaving a couple fire burning while safely out of harms way won't rack you up any points.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,612 posts
20,079 battles
22 minutes ago, Capt_JollyRoger said:

Any BB

Cruiser missions cant use a BB.

• Haha 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,136 posts
21,725 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Just another example of WG creating tasks based on the apparent presumption that all players are unicums; dodging fire and collecting PD like it’s nothing.

Not really... even if you're the most unlucky randoms player, if you take any eligible cruiser into a co op match and just run at the bots bow in that's going to be a couple hundred thousand PD at least... rinse and repeat over the week you have for the mission and it'll be finished way before next Monday rolls around...

Compared to any other metric, PD is the easier to achieve.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
2,360 posts
24,142 battles

Click bait. I thought that you got that amount in a match. I would like to see the replay of that match if it was so. :Smile_playing:

[LEHR]
Members
165 posts
7,134 battles

Funny how Napoli hasn't come up yet in this...    Alaska  maybe...     

But aside from that, I can't say I've ever Paid attention to my Potential Damage on Cruisers....    Hell, I can barely remember what Cruisers I do have off the Top of my Head...   lol

Members
187 posts
16,223 battles

Personally I choose a cruiser that everyone loses to shoot at - either smol or Stalingrad.  Didn't take too long to get it done. :Smile-_tongue:

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
3 minutes ago, oldewolfe said:

Funny how Napoli hasn't come up yet in this...    Alaska  maybe...     

But aside from that, I can't say I've ever Paid attention to my Potential Damage on Cruisers....    Hell, I can barely remember what Cruisers I do have off the Top of my Head...   lol

Depends upon the Napoli build.
Lighthouse, as @Rolkatsuki runs on some of her Cruisers?
Or a different build with both rudder-shift upgrades?
The Napoli can be reasonably stealthy with certain builds.
But, she can also "wiggle" nicely and dodge incoming fire.
I figure it is merely a question of the player's choice of build.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,414 posts

All this debate about a part of a mission chain that isn't even needed to complete the chain unless OCD is part of it.

• Cool 1