You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

I need help with UK DD line.

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,659 posts
8,684 battles

Currently grinding Icarus, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. 

How should I be playing her? She doesn't seem to be a great gunboat, nor a good torpboat, and has pathetically short smoke duration, no speed boost, and seems to be outclassed by everything I come across. 

The only time I've had any success is by hiding off the grid until lategame and trying to spot and pick up caps. 

Is that it?

[7CR]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
780 posts
2,748 battles

The success I've had in HMS Icarus has been by doing about the same as you...I stay back to begin with and find out where OpFors ships are.  Then I pick a 'route' that prevents the bulk of them from being able to shoot me.  I try to zone in on one OpFor ship and work with other ships to take it out.  I have very little success if I try to jump way ahead to get spotting dmg or to launch torpedos.  I'm a pretty mediocre player, so take all that with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

Members
595 posts
16,396 battles
13 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

How should I be playing her? She doesn't seem to be a great gunboat, nor a good torpboat, and has pathetically short smoke duration, no speed boost, and seems to be outclassed by everything I come across. 

The only time I've had any success is by hiding off the grid until lategame and trying to spot and pick up caps. 

Is that it?

The RN DD line is different than the IJN, US, and German DD lines I usually play. Had a hard time adjusting to them too. The short smoke burst time and shorter range torps had me scratching my head a lot.

I have the Icarus, Jervis, and Lightning. I play them first as Cappers and Spotters, closely followed by Gunboat. The torps can be used for ambush and predictive drops out of detectability range. 

Jervis is better than Icarus, and Lightning is awesome, 5.5km detection with 8km torps. Stick with the line at least thru Lightning; adjust your play style to be a capper and less of a Torp ship. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

Members
588 posts
5,246 battles

The british DD's are some of the best cap contesters and controllers in the game. Basically, your gameplay should be contesting and sitting on cap points. With the short range hydro that lasts a while, you should be able to dodge torps fired into smoke, and if you are feeling really adventurous, can attack people in their own smoke. The short smokes do mean you can't just sit there and spam, but you can use the smoke more aggressively for hit and runs, or just to break contact with the enemy. 

The torps should be used against either ships in caps, or against ships moving toward you. With 10 torps spammed into smoke as well as the wierd patterns you can make with the single drops you can be effective against other DDs in cap. While you only get a kilometer of stealth torp range at best, if you are kiting away from a ship that doesn't know you are there, you can extend this range. Use the minimap, aim down the torp indicator, and see if the enemy ship will sail into the torps range. 

The guns aren't horrible. Use their good fire chance to add DOT damage. You can outgun some destroyers. 

Finally, the royal navy DDs have the best depth charges in the game. Added with the hydro and short smoke, they are the best destroyers for hunting subs.

• Thanks 2

Members
1,451 posts
10,626 battles

I had difficulties playing them at first, but it will get better at tier 7, as the concealment and torps are getting better.

T8 onwards I enjoyed their gameplay. They are good cap warriors and good at fire harassment.

My suggestion is, play defensively. The short smoke is for you to retreat, instead of push forward. And I feel it is good at defending friendly bigger ships.

When I start the smoke, I always try to point my ship back and get ready to move away. In addition, you have more smoke charges, so use it, dont save it.

• Thanks 1

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,299 posts
16,062 battles
2 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Is that it?

British DDs are fun!

1. You have a lot of short smokes, so feel free to Brawl!
    • Start a fight and disengage at will with fairly rapid cycling cooldowns.
    • Pop a smoke and farm a vulnerable target for a quick 40 seconds before moving on.
    • If high health, feel free to play a little extra aggressive since you have smokes to burn.
  2. Your guns are solid!
    • In general, British DDs are always a gun threat to consider.  While some gunboats can edge them out, they are always a threat.
  3. Pencil-Torps can surprise people.
    • Dropping a line of doom on a fixed position can yield nice rewards
  4. Higher-Tier British DDs have Heals!
    • Heals further allow brawling and trades.
    • Plus this gives you some freedom in cap contesting because you can take some damage and stay relevant.
  5. Concealment is solid.
    • Lightning's Concealment is crazy, but otherwise it's fairly good.  You are well equipped to be a stealthy frontline threat that can keep other DDs honest/backed away.
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,549 posts
26,057 battles

Gotta say I was not overly impressed with the Brit DDs up until I hit T8. Lightning (and Cossack) are good and things actually get better as you go up.

Edit/add: Of course I would make the same statement about the French DDs. Meh thru T7, then Fantasque, Mogador and Kleber making the grind completely worth it.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Thanks 1

[-GF-]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
12,572 battles
9 hours ago, Ahskance said:

British DDs are fun!

1. You have a lot of short smokes, so feel free to Brawl!
    • Start a fight and disengage at will with fairly rapid cycling cooldowns.
    • Pop a smoke and farm a vulnerable target for a quick 40 seconds before moving on.
    • If high health, feel free to play a little extra aggressive since you have smokes to burn.
  2. Your guns are solid!
    • In general, British DDs are always a gun threat to consider.  While some gunboats can edge them out, they are always a threat.
  3. Pencil-Torps can surprise people.
    • Dropping a line of doom on a fixed position can yield nice rewards
  4. Higher-Tier British DDs have Heals!
    • Heals further allow brawling and trades.
    • Plus this gives you some freedom in cap contesting because you can take some damage and stay relevant.
  5. Concealment is solid.
    • Lightning's Concealment is crazy, but otherwise it's fairly good.  You are well equipped to be a stealthy frontline threat that can keep other DDs honest/backed away.

why does the jarvis have such terrible concealment? even with CE its just hot garbage.

[ARGSY]
Members
982 posts
14,113 battles

Get through Jarvis and you will really start to have some fun. I still think this is the best all around DD line in the game. And best for learning to play DDs  Look to use the tools that they have. Eventually great concealment, solid single shot torps, short smoke (which is actually better than long smoke in the current meta), brilliant acceleration, and tight turning radius. Not to mention the long lasting hydro. They are very good cap contesters. Only real drawback is the relative low speed and lack of any speed boost to get out of trouble. This dictates that you work closely with your big buddies and do not extend on the flank. Get spotted out there alone and you are just too slow to escape. 

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,157 battles

Feel free to send me a replay and I'll go through it for you.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,659 posts
8,684 battles
6 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Feel free to send me a replay and I'll go through it for you.

Thanks for the offer. 

Here's my last 4 games. This should be decent cross sample of how much I suck. Shouldn't take long, some of them were pretty short :Smile_child:

20220828_232326_PBSD106-Icarus_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

20220828_234250_PBSD106-Icarus_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

20220828_235320_PBSD106-Icarus_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

20220829_000503_PBSD106-Icarus_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Edited by HyperFish

[REVY]
Members
9,635 posts
7,316 battles
8 hours ago, handybilly said:

Get through Jarvis and you will really start to have some fun. I still think this is the best all around DD line in the game. And best for learning to play DDs  Look to use the tools that they have. Eventually great concealment, solid single shot torps, short smoke (which is actually better than long smoke in the current meta), brilliant acceleration, and tight turning radius. Not to mention the long lasting hydro. They are very good cap contesters. Only real drawback is the relative low speed and lack of any speed boost to get out of trouble. This dictates that you work closely with your big buddies and do not extend on the flank. Get spotted out there alone and you are just too slow to escape. 

The few Jarvis battles I've had involved getting out traded by Russian DD gunboats or ending up in a mutual kill with another UK DD.  DD is not wowing me in it's stock form.

Edited by Sventex

[B_Y_F]
Members
851 posts
19,156 battles

T6 is hard place for DD play to be honest. You need to first identify what you're facing before you decide your plan. 

For T5 or T4 DD (except Nicolas) Icarus DPM itself can win the DD battle for you. 

T6-T7,  Icarus advantage are the 4th best detection at T6-T7 (only beat by Haida, Shiratsuyu and Hatsuharu),  so back in cap, wait for the enemy push into you then smoke as long as they fire will be optimal. 

When facing T8 DD, I would try to avoid the area completely unless having heavy back up. Also, Icarus has a lot of torps to torp smoke. 

And like someone already said,  don't save your smoke.  They are there for you to control the version game. 

• Thanks 1

[-1]
Members
907 posts
15,262 battles
On 8/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, HyperFish said:

Everything changes at tier 8. At tier 8 you get awesome concealment that allows you to pick fights and push caps. Also torps become useful. Before tier 8 they are just OK support DDs that park in gun range and do random damage with guns. My advice to early myself would be to use free xp to skip to tier 8.

[D-PN]
Members
3,709 posts
17,209 battles
14 hours ago, Sventex said:

The few Jarvis battles I've had involved getting out traded by Russian DD gunboats or ending up in a mutual kill with another UK DD.  DD is not wowing me in it's stock form.

Jervis is actually a good teacher for Daring.  It teaches the quick hit and run tactics that the short smoke and long hydro enable you to do. 

Part of that is the patience  for waiting for a good opportunity.  Jervis has bad detection but it's guns at the tier are actually very good. 

That makes Jervis good at ambush runs on other DDs.  For instance, use a rock/island close to a cap to hide yourself.... wait for a DD to come to the cap

ambush, dish out damage,  when you start to take some, smoke up and withdraw.  Rinse and repeat until you have killed the other DD and then take cap.

Daring has good conceal but others at the tier are better, but Daring excels at the same tactics.

[ARGSY]
Members
982 posts
14,113 battles
18 hours ago, Sventex said:

Every ship has it's play style. You just not may be suited to this line. I got ships that are rated very good but am not doing so well in them. 

• Thanks 1