Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

T11 Concept and Deployment Strategy

6 comments in this topic

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,820 battles

Ever since T11 ships were introduced to this game, to put it mildly that they would become a polarizing factor in high tier gameplay would be a significant understatement.  The initial introduction of the first T11 ships (notice how I'm calling them what they are and not the cheeky "supership" label) occurred while I was on hiatus from the game some time ago, but now that I've got some good playing time under my belt again and have got to face off against them, I wanted to bounce some thoughts off of you guys and see what you think:

Disclaimer: throughout this post, I'm going to be referring back to this link (https://wowslegends.com/blogs/entry/768-strive-for-greatness-tier-viii-development-blog/) as it lays out the framework for how WoWS: Legends is deploying expansion from their current top tier of T7 to T8 (for those who don't know, WoWS Legends has a tier bracket of T1 - T7, rather than World of Warships at T1 - T10).

Here goes:

• When the decision was made to expand the ship tier rosters beyond T10 and into T11 territory, why was it done with piecemeal ships (which seemed to be chosen at random) rather than say, have at least one ship introduced per nation upon release?  Players preferential to one ship type (ie: DD, BB, etc) or one ship nation would at least have fair pickings from the litter right out of the gate.
  •  
  • This one's maybe the biggest one for me....why was the traditional trend bucked for players to have earn XP to move on to the next tier up the line in place of a complete one-time credit dump purchase?  From myself as a player who looks for an excuse to play T10 ships other than "just because", it's basically disenchanted me from any desire to unlock at of the T11s as there isn't any satisfaction of earning them, as cheesy as that may sound (although I'm certain I'm in the greater minority on this one).
  •  
  • I've noticed that, while not all, a good portion of the new T11 ships being released are being strapped with the 'F' key gimmick of whatever it is for each ship.  Please let's not have T11 just be a gimmick fest.  Linear strength can be utilized to power up ships from T10 to T11 without overdoing it on the silly shenanigans.  I honestly can't tell you what each gimmick the ships have up to this point.
  •  
  • Using World of Warships: Legends evolution model for T7 expansion into T8, why wasn't a more simple approach like this?  At least based on what I've read, it seems like a more logical approach that didn't require any breakaway from the current trends for uptiering that already exist for our version of the game.  It always eludes me when the water gets muddied when it doesn't have to be.
  •  
  • From the developer's eyes, what does a fully fleshed out T11 tier look like?  Will there be a T11 ship for each ship type for each nation?
  •  
  • My last point here, but what I think may be the most important one with regards to balancing.  I'm a firm believer that T11 ships should have a protective matchmaker in place in order to keep T9s from having to be uptiered against T11 ships.  It would work in the same way that protects T4 ships from having to face T6s.  There is absolutely no secret that the power gap between T9 to T11 is much more significant than that of T8 to T10 or any other spread.  The lowest T11s should have to fight is T10 ships, period (we won't even get into the whole notion of "psuedo nerfs" to high tier premium ships that players bought with the expectation of only having to play against +1 tier at T9, and now have to face +2).

Anyways, my apologies if that came out a bit long-winded.  I hope I made some kind of sense of it.  Let me know your thoughts here and/or feel free to elaborate if I'm just crazy.

I'm looking forward to a good discussion on this......let's just keep it civilized though, shall we mates? :cap_cool:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
534 posts
14,758 battles

I’ve only played the Yamagiri and Setsuma for superships and both leave a lot to desire. 
IMO the shimmy is still a better torp boat. They have some nice features that you’d expect of a t11. The change from t7 to t8 is actually more extreme. If they roll out a few new supers for each nation, great. All you guy that whine and complain about t8 facing t10 should rejoice at the news of t11. I’m curious to see some new ships. 

• Cool 1

[BEA5T]
Members
6,803 posts
34,337 battles

It's all about making money....  I'm not sure there is anyone whom actually maintains some form of ship balance database......   I see the "*" ships as snowflake ships or ships that you need one of each type to finish an event...  The ones I faced in Clan Battles were OP to the point of silliness (which sells more ships.....)    And, some of the older players have "Billions" of credits on hand and needed 5 or 6 ships to reach 300-400-or 500 ships.

I played my * ships a few times and lost money each time (even with great matches !) so that = "snowflake ship....."    

Edited by Asym_KS

[WOLFG]
Members
16,771 posts
19,391 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

SAVING SPACE.

I agree with all of this.  

WG seems to have just knee-jerked an idea to suck resources out of the game instead of having a plan to do it across the board.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
15,646 posts
9,773 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

When the decision was made to expand the ship tier rosters beyond T10 and into T11 territory, why was it done with piecemeal ships (which seemed to be chosen at random) rather than say, have at least one ship introduced per nation upon release? 

Developing a full tier of new ships (with new concepts!) is a huge endeavor, a piecemeal development and release allows for: 

* Faster turnover of resources 

* Learn and gather data from already released ships to help in developing new ships 

* "Vaccinate" the player base into accepting T11. 

why was the traditional trend bucked for players to have earn XP to move on to the next tier up the line in place of a complete one-time credit dump purchase?

Maybe they don't want T11 to be perceived as a grind extension. Maybe it could be problematic to fit in with the Research Bureau concept. Maybe they want to make T11 more accesible for anyone just willing to spend the credits but would get demotivated at the perspective of grinding 300k XP or whatever they would cost. 

I've noticed that, while not all, a good portion of the new T11 ships being released are being strapped with the 'F' key

My guess is they want T11 to feel special, unique and not just more of the same. 

that T11 ships should have a protective matchmaker in place in order to keep T9s from having to be uptiered against T11 ships

I don't see this happening, a big part of selling you T11 (understood as power advantage) is giving you the option of exercise and enjoy that power... Sacrificial lambs are required. 

From the developer's eyes, what does a fully fleshed out T11 tier look like?  Will there be a T11 ship for each ship type for each nation?

It is too early to tell but the way they are structured now, there is no limitation to have just the one T11 ship for each line. They could have multiple T11 ships for each line without causing any grind problems or overload. This scheme gives them a lot if freedom to add as much content as they want in the future. 

• Cool 1

[-1]
Members
907 posts
15,262 battles
3 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

they would become a polarizing factor in high tier gameplay

WG has to add more content and more things to grind to keep people interested. Hence this captain XP B$ rework and SUPER ships. Quantity over quality is obviously what players want...

Sign in to follow this