You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Mutsuki, new to me

24 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
7,102 posts
15,888 battles

I picked up the Mutsuki last night. My 1st impression is meh, even in coops. Maybe that will change as I learn how to play it. It is different from my other DDs.

Any tips would be appreciated.

[RLGN]
Members
18,935 posts
34,496 battles

Spot and torp; that's Mut's thing. Mutsuki's job is to NOT be seen.

With only two guns it has little chance of success directly fighting ANY other destroyer. Ambush torp them if they're spotted by someone else, but a Mut won't win a gun fight.

First of the true IJN torpedo boats. Short ranged, but decent AA compared to Minekaze/the Kami cousins.

Use terrain to your advantage, Area torp at first, then sneak up on things that become isolated and ruthlessly torp them like an assassin knifing someone in the back.

Now, having said that, DO NOT forget you have guns. I've had plenty of kills of weak targets with Mut's sand lubricated guns.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 4

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

My 1st impression is meh, even in coops

It is a bit of a low point and a meme in the IJN DD line. As mentioned above, your best games will be where you are never (or rarely) detected. Your torps are good but reload slower than what you have become accustomed.

Coop has the issue that the bots always know where you are and will charge you. Giving you a perpetual bow on torp shot and closing to your concealment range. You have to work harder at not being seen. The guns are weak but not useless in the right situation. Remember you have smoke which in Mutsuki's case is used more to hide and disengage than for damage farming.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

You should have seen Tier V Mutsuki when the game was new.  She used to be Tier VI and her torpedo range was shorter than her surface detection range.  In PVP she was so bad that we used to call her, Mutsucky.  In the O.G. IJN DD Line, Hatsuharu that succeeded her wasn't much better.

Old IJN DD Line:  II Umikaze -> III Wakatake -> IV Isokaze -> V Minekaze -> VI Mutsucky -> VII Hatsuharu -> VIII Fubuki -> IX Kagero -> X Shimakaze

The ones in bold were at least good to go.  Low Tier and thru V Minekaze were a nonstop stream of great DDs.  Umikaze was my Seal Club.  Old VIII Fubuki and Kagero were good threats to face, but really, it was all about Shimakaze in Ye Olde Days of WoWS.  Pre-Nerf IJN DDs, IJN Torpedoes that were harder to spot, facing Triple Shima Divisions, and a collapse in the CV population to reign them in was not a fun time.  When the IJN DD Split happened I had just reached Fubuki.  I recall players like Fubuki because of her torpedo launcher arrangement, it gave them flexibility.

Minekaze used to be so good, when Premium versions of her came out, Fujin / Kamikaze Clones, nobody cared about those Premium releases because Minekaze was already there for free in the Tech Tree.  But then in 2016, WG did some nerfs to IJN DDs, but left Fujin / Kamikaze Clones alone.  Those Premiums are still the only evidence in the game right now of how IJN DDs used to be.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

It is a bit of a low point and a meme in the IJN DD line. As mentioned above, your best games will be where you are never (or rarely) detected. Your torps are good but reload slower than what you have become accustomed.

PatienceMutsuki is the first ship in the line that will test your patience and skill as a torpedo boat player. 

If you can succeed here, you should be fundamentally good the rest of the way up the line.  If not, the gunboat line may be the way for you.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
34 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If not, the gunboat line may be the way for you.

Probably. But you still have to get thru 2 torpedo boats (Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu) to get there. Arguably the torpedo boat line starts off with better gun boats than the gunboat line. 

But then there is the Akizuki.:Smile_amazed:

[TDRB]
Members
7,102 posts
15,888 battles
4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

PatienceMutsuki is the first ship in the line that will test your patience and skill as a torpedo boat player. 

If you can succeed here, you should be fundamentally good the rest of the way up the line.  If not, the gunboat line may be the way for you.

Yes, I'm seeing that.

4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Probably. But you still have to get thru 2 torpedo boats (Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu) to get there. Arguably the torpedo boat line starts off with better gun boats than the gunboat line. 

But then there is the Akizuki.:Smile_amazed:

I almost have to force myself to play the Akizuki.

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Spot and torp; that's Mut's thing. Mutsuki's job is to NOT be seen.

With only two guns it has little chance of success directly fighting ANY other destroyer. Ambush torp them if they're spotted by someone else, but a Mut won't win a gun fight.

First of the true IJN torpedo boats. Short ranged, but decent AA compared to Minekaze/the Kami cousins.

Use terrain to your advantage, Area torp at first, then sneak up on things that become isolated and ruthlessly torp them like an assassin knifing someone in the back.

Now, having said that, DO NOT forget you have guns. I've had plenty of kills of weak targets with Mut's sand lubricated guns.

+1
Learning to stealth-torpedo with the Mutsuki and/or the Minekaze is a worthwhile endeavor.
Don't forget to turn-off the AA guns, even if no CV's are in the match. 
Spotter planes, fighter planes, Dutch airstrikes and ASW airstrikes can be used in attempts to reveal your position by triggering your AA guns to fire.  

With a 10-point Captain, with the Concealment Expert skill, the IJN DD's can be very competitive or the best in their tier for concealment.

Smoke is concealment, but smoke does not prevent ordnance from hitting your hull.  Plan accordingly.  :-)

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,201 posts
28,860 battles
12 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I picked up the Mutsuki last night. My 1st impression is meh, even in coops. Maybe that will change as I learn how to play it. It is different from my other DDs.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Lettuce break this Into the sum of it's parts

Mutsuki translated into English = Must suk i....I.....

Further investigation leads us to a fully upgraded ship.

21 point captain. 

Let's translate this enhanced and upgraded version.

Mutsuki = yup I still must suk...

In all seriousness, this is THE toughest IJN DD to play.

Good luck.

Stay hidden, torp often and only use guns when spotted.

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Yes, I'm seeing that.

I almost have to force myself to play the Akizuki.

As in you don't like Akizuki at all?

39 minutes ago, Pretty_Rkless said:

Lettuce break this Into the sum of it's parts

Mutsuki translated into English = Must suk i....I.....

Further investigation leads us to a fully upgraded ship.

21 point captain. 

Let's translate this enhanced and upgraded version.

Mutsuki = yup I still must suk...

In all seriousness, this is THE toughest IJN DD to play.

Good luck.

Stay hidden, torp often and only use guns when spotted.

Ok, is it weird now I want to take Mutsuki out for old times sake just to see?

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Funny how things work out.  After this last post, curiosity got me so I decided to dust off the ol' girl Mutsuki for a spin.  Haven't played her in about 2-3 years at least.....slap on a 10pt commander and go into a T7 match:

Untitled5.thumb.jpg.246733ff3a283408ffa8f8911b2ca1a7.jpg

Untitled6.thumb.jpg.8b63916379676edd3a54194ddf39f8d1.jpg

Guess old girl Mutsuki still got it :cap_like:

• Cool 3

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You should have seen Tier V Mutsuki when the game was new.  She used to be Tier VI and her torpedo range was shorter than her surface detection range.  In PVP she was so bad that we used to call her, Mutsucky.  In the O.G. IJN DD Line, Hatsuharu that succeeded her wasn't much better.

Old IJN DD Line:  II Umikaze -> III Wakatake -> IV Isokaze -> V Minekaze -> VI Mutsucky -> VII Hatsuharu -> VIII Fubuki -> IX Kagero -> X Shimakaze

And contrary to the abysmal state OG Mutsuki once was, Minekaze used to be an OP monster when she had 10km torps up her sleeve at T5. 

Remember those days, @HazeGrayUnderway?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

And contrary to the abysmal state OG Mutsuki once was, Minekaze used to be an OP monster when she had 10km torps up her sleeve at T5. 

Remember those days, @HazeGrayUnderway?

Mutsucky and Hatsuharu was the tax IJN DD players had to pay for the string of awesome DDs from Tier II-V in the O.G. Line.

Below are my Random Battle stats for IJN DDs.

- I didn't play IJN DDs as much, but when I did, it was in the Golden Era for the Line, before the nerfs.

- As I said, when the IJN DD split happened, I had just gotten to Fubuki in Tier VIII.

Irsh0Dk.jpeg

Those stats I got with the old DDs?  I did them as a Potato.  I was absolutely terrible.  I was something like an overall 43% WR player.  I was still learning "How to DD" for Randoms.

Yet I still did well with the old ones for the time I played on them, except for VII Hatsuharu.  Hell even on Mutsucky I still managed a 59% WR in 22 games, but it felt miserable somehow.  I remember not liking having no Stealth Torping ability unless I was kiting.  I recall an instance where my near dead Mutsuki was kiting some Cruiser chasing after me.  The window to Stealth Torp with her was very small, mess it up and I'd be spotted and get easily shot to pieces by the Cruiser.  I don't remember how that encounter ended up, wouldn't surprise me if I screwed up the Stealth Torp window and got blown away.

If a Potato like me back then could get numbers like that, I can't imagine what the dedicated, good IJN DD players were getting.  That era was heaven for IJN Destroyers.  They were FOTM, especially when the CV population started to get gutted in late 2015 due to some heavy nerfs.

"If the cat is away, the mice will play."

And play they did.

Take note on that second video is with Des Moines.  Back then in the "Torpedo Soup" era, DM did not have Radar.  "Torpedo Soup" era of WoWS was so bad that WG:

- Nerfed IJN DDs.

- Nerfed torpedoes, particularly IJN DD torpedoes.

- Proliferation of Radar:  Tier VIII-X USN Cruisers got Radar (VIII NOLA, IX Baltimore, X Des Moines).  VII Atlanta had no Radar but ended up getting it, too because of "Torpedo Soup."

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Those stats I got with the old DDs?  I did them as a Potato.  I was absolutely terrible.  I was something like an overall 43% WR player.  I was still learning "How to DD" for Randoms.

If a Potato like me back then could get numbers like that, I can't imagine what the dedicated, good IJN DD players were getting.  That era was heaven for IJN Destroyers.  They were FOTM, especially when the CV population started to get gutted in late 2015 due to some heavy nerfs.

I think this is why I actually like the nostalgia of actually "re-grinding" the lines I reset.  I'll usually reset one that I haven't played in ages so I can see how much developed skills have paid dividends when revisiting a branch the second time through.  Basically anything regarding American and Japanese branches, since that was all us old vets had to choose from back in the early days.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

I think this is why I actually like the nostalgia of actually "re-grinding" the lines I reset.  I'll usually reset one that I haven't played in ages so I can see how much developed skills have paid dividends when revisiting a branch the second time through.  Basically anything regarding American and Japanese branches, since that was all us old vets had to choose from back in the early days.

My first Tier X ship was Yamato.  Matter of fact, I completely skipped Tier IX altogether.  I finished my grind on VIII Amagi and had a bunch of FreeXP.  I heard how bad IX Izumo was (before any of her buffs) and just skipped right to Yammie.

Tier IX-X Battleships behave nothing at all like their VIII and prior brethren.  Agility gets worse, size bigger.  Lethality at range skyrockets in High Tier, especially those IX-X BBs.  Any and all mistakes in position and sailing habits are quickly and harshly punished in Tier X, even at range.

When I got to Yamato I was bad.  WR% was awful.  I had about 45k Dmg Avg in her for Randoms.  I was so bad that many times players on both teams would say how badly I wasted my Battleship.

However, at about 100 Random Battles with Yamato was when i started to understand "How To Tier X Battleship" for PVP.  I improved my stats, at least my Dmg Avg with her, but my initial WR% was so bad that even my improved play did not save that stat.  At the very least, while I got schooled on Yamato, I learned to be a better BB player on her and applied those lessons to all my later Tier X Battleships, whose stats were far better.  Montana, Conqueror, GK, Republique.... The lowest WR% on those was 58.4% on GK.

One of my proudest personal accomplishments with the game, was that after I got better, I went back to Tier IX Baltimore after her buffs, and salvaged my stats.  I took my Des Moines experience and applied it to Baltimore one tier lower.  When I initially ground the US Cruiser Line, Baltimore sucked *** originally and I FreeXP'd the rest of her after a bunch of bad games.

I really miss post-buff, pre-USN Cruiser Split Baltimore.

- USN Cruisers before the Split was a wild ride:  II Chester -> III St.Louis -> Phoenix -> V Omaha -> VI Cleveland -> VII Pensacola -> VIII New Orleans -> IX Baltimore -> X Des Moines

Omaha-class used to be called "OPmaha" when AFT & BFT buffed 155mm and smaller guns, but after that was nerfed, Omaha sucked.

Cleveland was OP in Tier VI in those days.  BB players constantly complained about her.

Tier VII-IX was an awful experience for US Cruisers back then.  A back-to-back-to-back string of bad Cruisers.  Those 3 Cruisers were so bad that WG did a number of buffs to them to help out.  The only one that actually got a lot better was Baltimore.

[CUDA]
Members
1,374 posts
13,206 battles

I play all the ships in my port, but the Mutsuki is the one ship I cringe when it's time to play it. 

BUT I'm definitely a gunboat player. I've stayed away from the Japanese, British and Italian lines for just that reason.

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
5 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Nope.  It's not weird.

8,201 posts
28,860 battles
11 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm going to have to try her put now too....

8,201 posts
28,860 battles
9 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Funny how things work out.  After this last post, curiosity got me so I decided to dust off the ol' girl Mutsuki for a spin.  Haven't played her in about 2-3 years at least.....slap on a 10pt commander and go into a T7 match:

Untitled5.thumb.jpg.246733ff3a283408ffa8f8911b2ca1a7.jpg

Untitled6.thumb.jpg.8b63916379676edd3a54194ddf39f8d1.jpg

Guess old girl Mutsuki still got it :cap_like:

Photoshop I claim.

Nobody can do that on ship that must suck....

Nice game man.

Members
1,387 posts
17,385 battles

Mutsuki is actually my most-played ship.  She was the first DD that I really clicked with.  I do not take her out much since the CV rework led to so many multi-carrier games at lower tiers.

Most played in Randoms that is.  I do not think Mutsuki is very well suited to co-op.

Edited by Mono_De_Mantequilla

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
7 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

I play all the ships in my port, but the Mutsuki is the one ship I cringe when it's time to play it. 

BUT I'm definitely a gunboat player. I've stayed away from the Japanese, British and Italian lines for just that reason.

The funny part is Tier V Mutsuki is better than Tier VII Skane.  Destroyers in PVE are all about their torpedoes, and Mutsuki's do more than twice the amount of damage as Skane's does from two tiers higher!

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The funny part is Tier V Mutsuki is better than Tier VII Skane.  Destroyers in PVE are all about their torpedoes, and Mutsuki's do more than twice the amount of damage as Skane's does from two tiers higher!

God bless the magic and wonder that is PvE :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ace_04

[CUDA]
Members
1,374 posts
13,206 battles

I never chased that line either after I pumped 9(?) torpedoes into a New York with the Visby and didn't sink it. I haven't sold many ships, but Visby and Vasteras went into the ion recycler after that.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
9 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

I never chased that line either after I pumped 9(?) torpedoes into a New York with the Visby and didn't sink it. I haven't sold many ships, but Visby and Vasteras went into the ion recycler after that.

At least you went big and found out those DDs failed.

When I took Vasteras, ambushed a Bot Aoba... A Heavy Cruiser, put every torpedo into it and the damn thing was still there, I was extremely disappointed.

When the IKEA DDs were new, I was playing some ship and was sailing towards where our Halland player hit every single torpedo he fired on a Bog GK.  The GK had a huge amount of HP still and laughed it off.  Even funnier, German BBs actually have a very mediocre TDS.  Had they struck a BB with high TDS like South Dakota-class, Amagi, Kremlin, Yamato-class, those IKEA DD torps would only tickle them.

The one thing I do like is Halland firing surface skimming missiles / torpedoes.  Those things if spec'd for it are stupidly fast, and it's fun watching them in action.  It may not hit the hardest, but it is pretty fun.  That is the only reason I put up with the IKEA DDs.  For one ship.