You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Five years in WOWS.

30 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,102 battles

Well, hasn't it been an interesting ride?

I got my fifth anniversary advisory notice in game last night, together with a 30% off coupon that I haven't yet decided what use I'm going to put it to. 

When I began all that time ago, I had no idea what I was doing. Major events to get ships were tied to Randoms only (with occasional exceptions for lesser prizes), and I chose as my first ship line what had to be the least flexible and most challenging in the game at the time (British light cruisers; there were no heavies back then). I learned the hard way that one needed a diversified fleet, of all types and many nations (though that didn't stop Minotaur from being my first tech-tree T10). 

Even after several months in the game, Tier 10 seemed an unachievable eternity away, and that led to me making what in retrospect was a poor choice with regard to an event reward (I could have had a T10 Worcester event permacamo; I spent the tokens on coal to get the Aigle). 

I took longer than I should have to learn that 19 point commanders (as the top was back then) were a thing worth having, although I made up for it quite rapidly once I'd got the first - ironically about the same time as my FIRST anniversary in the game, and after I'd succeeded in a prolonged win-a-ship event in which my fleet diversification policy finally paid off. I discovered @Lord_Zath and his replay theatre, where I learned so much from all the mistakes I'd made in victorious battles that I'd survived, and engagement in that won me a couple of particularly valuable prizes with critical knock-on effects on my fleet composition and the grind paths I later followed. @Destroyer_KuroshioKai taught me how to stop worrying and love Japanese destroyers. Missouri came and went, and I didn't have enough convertible elite commander XP to pay and snag her; Missouri came and went, and Draconic flags and some fortunately timed premium time meant that I just grabbed her before she went out the door. 

2019 hit and reworked carriers came in; and though part of me was sad to see RTS go, I realized why it had to. For me, playing rework CV was like running into a brick wall with an armour-plate face, but I raised myself out of the mire of absolute hopelessness to the point where I could actually sink stuff and it finally began to make sense. So did a lot of other things, and now I began to climb the tech trees in earnest. Special event modes through the years showered us with rewards, and I played for everything that wasn't nailed down.  Coal! Coal and ever more coal! Jean Bart, Georgia, Smolensk, Thunderer... and finally, just before the announcement that she was going to be pulled, I had just enough steel with some lucky supercontainers to snag me the Black.

Before I knew it, the Research Bureau had arrived... but no, there was no way I'd ever get there, right? Blink and you miss it; Moskva was announced to be made a coal ship, and I stepped on the grind machine to make that cut before it happened. High School Fleet returned, and this time I wasn't so stupid as to refuse the Yamato permacamo its collection offered. Another grind to do! Creepy fishy Shima camo made my kids go AWWWW.... so add that one to the list. Daring beckoned because my kids had visited the Vampire 2 IRL... Audacious because i wanted her to shortcut a campaign... and before you knew it, the Research Bureau was opened and the Tier 10s were piling up. 

So were the 19 point commanders, but hello, here comes the Commander Skill rework and now the top-rank bar is lifted...a lot. Never mind, the flexibility to optimize for all the ship types in my fleet was compensation, and on I rolled. Khaba and GK were announced to transfer to coal - been there, done that, let's go there again.

It's been five years, and so much has changed from when I started. I'm looking at a port which contains Tier 10 tech-tree ships whose nations weren't even in the game when I started playing, while some ships which were there from the start aren't in my port yet (and might never be) and one nation has even disappeared. I've excelled in bad ships (my randoms WR in the reviled Monarch is 58%) and sucked in good ones. I've spent a lot of money and conversely obtained ships that can't be had at any reasonable price. Operations have come and gone and come back again, with a new twist that I'm eager to exploit. The day will come when the fight definitively goes underwater and the subs become a permanent, grindable fixture, and I guess I'll have a few more lines to chase up when that happens.

I look at the stuff that an early player pushing into the mid tiers could get for free now, and I consider how much of it there is compared to when I began and how much is accessible to the co-op and free to play crowd. For all the downs, I think the ups are still greater and I'm hoping to look back in another five years and see where we are then.

• Cool 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 3

[KUK-M]
[KUK-M]
Members
486 posts
44,683 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I got my fifth anniversary advisory notice in game last night, together with a 30% off coupon that I haven't yet decided what use I'm going to put it to. 

. For all the downs, I think the ups are still greater and I'm hoping to look back in another five years and see where we are then.

congrat.gif

[CK5]
Members
1,888 posts
22,074 battles

Congratulations, @Ensign_Cthulhu, and hopefully many returns.  

Interestingly, I just passed my seven years anniversary with the game and.....no coupon or reaction from WG at all :Smile_unsure:

[STRM]
Beta Testers
543 posts

As a part of the "free to play" crowd, I was pleasantly shocked that I'll be getting 25 Super Containers during the next patch for all my tier 10's and 11's. For all the garbage that WG has inflicted on the game during the last 5 years, it's still possible to pay nothing at all and have a large collection of awesome ships, and even have some genuine FUN once in a while! Here's hoping in 5 years you'll make another thread and I'll still be here, grinding away:cap_cool:

• Cool 2

[QADD]
[QADD]
Beta Testers
534 posts
14,758 battles
46 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When I began all that time ago, I had no idea what I was doing. Major events to get ships were tied to Randoms only (with occasional exceptions for lesser prizes), and I chose as my first ship line what had to be the least flexible and most challenging in the game at the time (British light cruisers; there were no heavies back then). I learned the hard way that one needed a diversified fleet, of all types and many nations (though that didn't stop Minotaur from being my first tech-tree T10). 

Even after several months in the game, Tier 10 seemed an unachievable eternity away, and that led to me making what in retrospect was a poor choice with regard to an event reward (I could have had a T10 Worcester event permacamo; I spent the tokens on coal to get the Aigle). 

I took longer than I should have to learn that 19 point commanders (as the top was back then) were a thing worth having, although I made up for it quite rapidly once I'd got the first - ironically about the same time as my FIRST anniversary in the game, and after I'd succeeded in a prolonged win-a-ship event in which my fleet diversification policy finally paid off. I discovered @Lord_Zath and his replay theatre, where I learned so much from all the mistakes I'd made in victorious battles that I'd survived, and engagement in that won me a couple of particularly valuable prizes with critical knock-on effects on my fleet composition and the grind paths I later followed. @Destroyer_KuroshioKai taught me how to stop worrying and love Japanese destroyers. Missouri came and went, and I didn't have enough convertible elite commander XP to pay and snag her; Missouri came and went, and Draconic flags and some fortunately timed premium time meant that I just grabbed her before she went out the door. 

2019 hit and reworked carriers came in; and though part of me was sad to see RTS go, I realized why it had to. For me, playing rework CV was like running into a brick wall with an armour-plate face, but I raised myself out of the mire of absolute hopelessness to the point where I could actually sink stuff and it finally began to make sense. So did a lot of other things, and now I began to climb the tech trees in earnest. Special event modes through the years showered us with rewards, and I played for everything that wasn't nailed down.  Coal! Coal and ever more coal! Jean Bart, Georgia, Smolensk, Thunderer... and finally, just before the announcement that she was going to be pulled, I had just enough steel with some lucky supercontainers to snag me the Black.

Before I knew it, the Research Bureau had arrived... but no, there was no way I'd ever get there, right? Blink and you miss it; Moskva was announced to be made a coal ship, and I stepped on the grind machine to make that cut before it happened. High School Fleet returned, and this time I wasn't so stupid as to refuse the Yamato permacamo its collection offered. Another grind to do! Creepy fishy Shima camo made my kids go AWWWW.... so add that one to the list. Daring beckoned because my kids had visited the Vampire 2 IRL... Audacious because i wanted her to shortcut a campaign... and before you knew it, the Research Bureau was opened and the Tier 10s were piling up. 

So were the 19 point commanders, but hello, here comes the Commander Skill rework and now the top-rank bar is lifted...a lot. Never mind, the flexibility to optimize for all the ship types in my fleet was compensation, and on I rolled. Khaba and GK were announced to transfer to coal - been there, done that, let's go there again.

It's been five years, and so much has changed from when I started. I'm looking at a port which contains Tier 10 tech-tree ships whose nations weren't even in the game when I started playing, while some ships which were there from the start aren't in my port yet (and might never be) and one nation has even disappeared. I've excelled in bad ships (my randoms WR in the reviled Monarch is 58%) and sucked in good ones. I've spent a lot of money and conversely obtained ships that can't be had at any reasonable price. Operations have come and gone and come back again, with a new twist that I'm eager to exploit. The day will come when the fight definitively goes underwater and the subs become a permanent, grindable fixture, and I guess I'll have a few more lines to chase up when that happens.

I look at the stuff that an early player pushing into the mid tiers could get for free now, and I consider how much of it there is compared to when I began and how much is accessible to the co-op and free to play crowd. For all the downs, I think the ups are still greater and I'm hoping to look back in another five years and see where we are then.

Well said!

[WOLF9]
Members
2,277 posts
34,864 battles
34 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Congratulations, @Ensign_Cthulhu, and hopefully many returns.  

Interestingly, I just passed my seven years anniversary with the game and.....no coupon or reaction from WG at all :Smile_unsure:

I would put a service ticket in and asked them what's the deal.  My anniversary is coming up in October, and I am expecting to get a coupon.

[SYN]
Members
1,484 posts
12,379 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu well done. I miss RTS not because I enjoyed CVs, but that was the time of the Cleveland (T6) AA build. There was nothing quite like setting aim on a squadron with MFCAA/BFT/AFT. 

Nice job on adapting to the content as well. I have not gotten too far into classes, nor substantially improved on the game.  I still have fun and like to pursue some modest goals.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,102 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

that was the time of the Cleveland (T6) AA build.

Cleveland go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

I never had a senior enough captain for her to do that build. I barely ground through her before she shifted to Tier 8 (getting the Pensacola in port before the split meant that I never had to do the T7 Pensa grind as the New Orleans took her place)... and in the shifting, I don't recall WG having to do very much at all to her except to give her radar and upgrade slot 5.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,421 posts
17,182 battles
1 hour ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Interestingly, I just passed my seven years anniversary with the game and.....no coupon or reaction from WG at all 

If you started your account in alpha/CBT/OBT before the “launch” of the game, your account anniversary for the coupon/camos/bonuses is set as the anniversary patch. If you don’t get them next patch, then it’s worth sending a ticket to support. 

[RLGN]
Members
18,934 posts
34,471 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Cleveland go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

The sound my (undamaged) T6 Cleveland made when an RTS Ryujo tried to stop my capping in my first Solo Warrior.

Congrats, yah young whipper-snapper!

(Seven years for me, this time around.)

[SYN]
Members
1,484 posts
12,379 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Cleveland

I loved that build. We even beat Fem once. (Sha had a bad team)

[ARR0W]
Members
5,973 posts
32,064 battles

Congratulations, my seventh year is next month, and I am looking forward to the swag as well. I think the period when I enjoyed the game most was immediately before the carrier rework. Its interesting how everyone's experience and impressions differ. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[NDA]
Beta Testers, Beta Testers
1,095 posts
11,208 battles

Started back in the closed beta days, (former SuperTester for 6 years) swag would be nice but don't expect to see any as I have been given plenty through my journey. Will admit, sway and gifts really are a nice touch to loyal players.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles

As fate will have it.  My gaming hobby will be completely diminished in few months time. Due to real life issues, I'm going to take this time to do things in the game that others may raise an eyebrow at, or applaud depending on the outcome.  As I know my own personal time is coming to an end.  WOWS progress is minute, compared to other things in my life.  How the game developed over the years, no longer matters to me.  What matters is that I take it by the horns and make the best of the time I have left, with what I have left.  This ship will go down fighting (for fun)!

Best of luck to you all for the continued enjoyment of the game.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,102 battles
2 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

As I know my own personal time is coming to an end.  

This is not good. You will be missed.

I'm going to take this time to do things in the game that others may raise an eyebrow at, or applaud depending on the outcome. 

Sounds interesting!

This ship will go down fighting (for fun)!

Good

Out of curiosity, who is the guy in your signature line? 

• Meh 1

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
118 posts
2,819 battles
9 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

As fate will have it.  My gaming hobby will be completely diminished in few months time. Due to real life issues, I'm going to take this time to do things in the game that others may raise an eyebrow at, or applaud depending on the outcome.  As I know my own personal time is coming to an end.  WOWS progress is minute, compared to other things in my life.  How the game developed over the years, no longer matters to me.  What matters is that I take it by the horns and make the best of the time I have left, with what I have left.  This ship will go down fighting (for fun)!

Best of luck to you all for the continued enjoyment of the game.

Fair winds and following seas to you @LowSpeed_US! You're playing the game as it should be played - in your own time and in your own way. The naysayers will forget you but those that matter will remember you. Go forth, Pathfinder, lead the way!

Edited by yss_turtleship
  • Cool 1

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
118 posts
2,819 battles

Thanks for sharing  @Ensign_Cthulhu! As someone who just started their journey a few months ago, I appreciate you sharing your journey. It shows that the mountain in front of me is not as tall or as far as it seems. That the journey of a thousand steps starts with one step followed by others. 

Edited by yss_turtleship
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
325 posts
12,480 battles

Seven years just passed for me and I got a big fat nothing coupon lol. I guess WGing hates me lol.

7years.jpg

• Sad 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Out of curiosity, who is the guy in your signature line? 

Thanks for your kind words.  The guy in my signature line off from the series called "Archer".  His name is Archer Sterling. 

4 hours ago, yss_turtleship said:

Fair winds and following seas to you @LowSpeed_US! You're playing the game as it should be played - in your own time and in your own way. The naysayers will forget you but those that matter will remember you. Go forth, Pathfinder, lead the way!

Hello @yss_turtleship, thank you.  This Pathfinder will lead the way.  

Out of topic, but I don't suppose you're an avid gamer and heard of Tacticalgamer.com ?

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
118 posts
2,819 battles
On 8/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, LowSpeed_US said:

Hello @yss_turtleship, thank you.  This Pathfinder will lead the way.  

Out of topic, but I don't suppose you're an avid gamer and heard of Tacticalgamer.com ?

I am and yes I have heard of tacticalgamer.com. I haven't visited the site in a long time.

[WPORT]
Members
19,353 posts
21,800 battles
Spoiler
On 8/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well done @Ensign_Cthulhu.  Here's to another 5 years.  :cap_like:

[BEA5T]
Members
6,803 posts
34,337 battles
On 8/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

et al..

Congrats !

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
On 8/27/2022 at 1:38 AM, yss_turtleship said:

I am and yes I have heard of tacticalgamer.com. I haven't visited the site in a long time.

I used to be quite active in that community (Mainly ARMA game series).  That community have sadly been disbanded, few years back.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
15,940 posts
22,889 battles

Grats! A bit over 7 for me.

Game started out fun and is getting better and better.