You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

IFHE for Chumpion??

8 comments in this topic

Members
595 posts
16,396 battles

Get a lot of hits with Chumpion, but it does not seem like a lot of damage, especially If I don't get a few good fires.

Thinking about my next Commander Skills goal.... IFHE gets over the 25mm plating on a lot of cruiser deck armor.   Do you think it will help my average damage?   Thanks.

WOW_Chumpion_IFHE2.jpg

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,826 battles

Yes, you can equip IFHE and not have to worry about the concealment penalty since Chumphon only has 127mm guns.

[BUOY]
Members
2,135 posts
21,725 battles
9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yes, you can equip IFHE and not have to worry about the concealment penalty since Chumphon only has 127mm guns.

Heavy HE is the one with the concealment penalty for larger guns, not IFHE.

As for whether IFHE is worth... the loss of fires really hurts when you can't also meet the T8 BB armor threshold. But if you're seeing lots of cruisers and/or top tier a lot, it can definitely be a worthwhile consideration.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,826 battles
2 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Heavy HE is the one with the concealment penalty for larger guns, not IFHE.

Yeah, you're right.  My bad.

Either way, IFHE is a viable skill for raw damage boost.  I chose Heavy HE shells instead, as I didn't want to cut the already paltry 10.5% fire chance in half.

• Thanks 1

[D-PN]
Members
3,709 posts
17,209 battles

The PA cruiser line is really screwy for IFHE. 

It's bad for the T5.... almost mandatory for the Tier 6 and Tier 7.

Optional for the T8, and then bad again for T9 and T10.

The Chumphon needs IFHE probably more than any other in the line since the AP is nearly useless from 5 - 6km and more and the HE will shatter on most cruisers at T7 and on.  The fire chance at 5% is already garbage so that if you half it and skill flag buff it it's not that big of hit from the base chance at 4.5%.

With IFHE you can pen 26mm (although the nerf from 27mm courtesy of IFHE rework still hurts) and 26 is the nose, tail, and deck areas of most same tier BBs.  4k+ salvos against Colorados is common once equipped.

• Thanks 2

[O7]
Supertester
573 posts
15,311 battles

IFHE is only viable if this captain will be permanently assigned for Chumpion.

If he is going to Sejong and Jinan later, do not take it. You can't pen 32mm armor on BBs and you can't hit cruisers at typical gun ranges anyways. Heavy HE is the superior skill and costs less. 

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,093 posts
15,518 battles

For Chumpon demolition expert is a better talent than IFHE. 5/38s have reasonable AP pen against BB superstructure at most ranges; the point with her, is those torpedoes. Atlanta doesn't have those.

[D-PN]
Members
3,709 posts
17,209 battles
16 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

IFHE is only viable if this captain will be permanently assigned for Chumpion.

If he is going to Sejong and Jinan later, do not take it. You can't pen 32mm armor on BBs and you can't hit cruisers at typical gun ranges anyways. Heavy HE is the superior skill and costs less. 

Chumphon with suffer without IFHE, but Sejong and Jinan suffer with it.  This line should come with a captain skill reset coupon or something.  The Jinan is ultimately a bad T10 anyway.  Just looked at the last 30 days performance.  Jinan has the worst WR and is close to the bottom is just about all other performance categories.....and it's not easy having a worse WR than Yoshino. 

If you are at all considering keeping a dedicated captain in Chumphon, then get the Flint instead....much better ship and you can steal one of your DD or BB captains for it as well.