You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

Tier VIII French Supercruiser Cherbourg

10 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
1,391 posts
10,906 battles

NOTE: I am using "supercruiser" to refer to cruisers beyond the 8-ish-inch heavy cruiser range which do not have battleship protection (Scharnhorsts for their time) OR battleship firepower (Kongos for their time), which would be battlecruisers (like the German and British BC lines).

To summarize the characteristics of this ship:

2x4 305mm guns with 28 second base reload, be very liberal with that reload booster whenever you get a good shot at someone's side, because you need it.

25mm bow/stern plating (unlike US and German heavy cruisers which have 27mm)

BB fire times, but quick reload on damage control party (can be under 1 minute).

Workable agility and camo if you don't overextend.

No stealth goodies like improved autobounce--remember that AP ricochets start at 45 degrees!

Due to poor HE shell damage, it is advised to stick with AP unless you expect to get bow-on-ed a lot.

Ramming flag may be useful on this ship due to engine boost and its problems in dealing with bow-on ships.

EQUIPMENT:

Your chooseable consumables should be hydro and engine boost.

Slot 1: Main Armaments Mod 1 -- You CANNOT afford losing a main turret!

Slot 2: Whichever you like. Engine room protection may be a good idea if you find yourself using parthain over-shoulder tactics a lot as the plating is weak.

Slot 3: I suggest either MBM1 or Aiming Systems to try to get better effective agility or bang-for-buck

Slot 4: Steering Gears, you need to dodge if you are remotely active as a player, you need to dodge a LOT.

Slot 5: I always use concealment systems, but there's an argument to be made for steering gears, choose what fits you.

Edited by Guardian54
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 2

Members
57 posts

Yeah, these new French cruisers are really, really awful.  They can citadel cruisers, if the game decides you're allowed to that match, and can't do anything else.   

One match I am easily citadeling cruisers, next match I got 3 cruisers sitting broadside, barely moving, zero citadels.    That's not RNG. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[DBFB]
[DBFB]
Members
28 posts
22,969 battles

Why the hell does this have such a long reload? Can anyone explain that?  I asked around and the answer is usually, "because it has a reload booster". Well that reload booster is junk, you get one 10 second reload, thats it.  I lost half my health to a Gronigen because he just sat there pummeling me while I just there staring at him, unable to do anything.  And fires burn for 60 seconds??? This is not a BB! Its not even a russian-esque tanky cruiser.  Honestly, I'd rath play Sint Louis. And I fing hate Saint Louis.  Please fix or explain the reasoning.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,887 posts
29,958 battles
6 hours ago, Phydeux said:

Why the hell does this have such a long reload? Can anyone explain that?  I asked around and the answer is usually, "because it has a reload booster". Well that reload booster is junk, you get one 10 second reload, thats it.  I lost half my health to a Gronigen because he just sat there pummeling me while I just there staring at him, unable to do anything.  And fires burn for 60 seconds??? This is not a BB! Its not even a russian-esque tanky cruiser.  Honestly, I'd rath play Sint Louis. And I fing hate Saint Louis.  Please fix or explain the reasoning.

To reign it in.  Or act as a FreeXP Sink.

Premium USN Cruiser Congress is basically a nerfed Alaska and put into Tier VIII.  22 seconds reload, no MBM3 access, and only 7 rifles.  Alaska over in Tier IX has 20 seconds, and with MBM3 the reload drops to 17.6 seconds, as well as having 9 guns.

It seems to me that for Tier IX-X these Large Cruisers will have no problems ship stat wise, but once they get into Tier VIII, i.e. Cherbourg and Congress, they will pay dearly for being there.

Russian Cruisers are tanky?  LOL the Russian Cruisers as a whole are some of the squishiest out there.  Petropavlovsk has a very small freeboard, so there's very little broadside to hit.  Moskva is tanky bow on but any hit to the sides causes her to instantly implode.  The rest of the Russian Cruisers are very soft.

Chapayev, Riga, Tallinn, Schors, Kirov, Budyonny, Dmitri Donskoi, etc.

- One of the Russian Tier V Cruisers are so squishy, that the Citadel armor belt can get Overmatched by 203mm SAP shells.  FYI that cannot happen against Emerald and Omaha because their armor belts are too thick for that to happen.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CRF]
Members
1,470 posts
10,876 battles

Yea - the new French cruisers appear to be more of an under-armored, under-gunned BB - nothing really cruiser like at all.  Don't really see a point to them at all.

[AK-49]
Members
603 posts
13,173 battles
17 hours ago, sonoasailor said:

Yea - the new French cruisers appear to be more of an under-armored, under-gunned BB - nothing really cruiser like at all.  Don't really see a point to them at all.

That was the general complaint of Battlecruisers in the real world -bigger guns than your average cruiser but not as armored as a battleship,

I've been happy with my Carnot and Cherbourg. All ships in the game have varying strengths and weaknesses when compared to other ships in the game. The French BC line just add another flavor of ships for players to see if it fits they're play style. 

• Cool 3

[70]
Members
1,391 posts
10,906 battles
5 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

That was the general complaint of Battlecruisers in the real world -bigger guns than your average cruiser but not as armored as a battleship,

Real-world battlecruisers were generally not undergunned in terms of gun calibre though (number may be a bit less).

[70]
Members
1,391 posts
10,906 battles

Revised from being too negative and not "review" like... which is why there's no pinned Harbin, Sejong, etc. posts in the PA CL page because they're not possible to review without "this is flaming garbage and can only plink away at range for fire damage, and pray the enemy's dumb enough to run into torps".

Will check again if this can be pinned.

[SSGS]
Members
128 posts
26,403 battles

It is very possible to have a good game.  The cit seems hard to do, even with a broadside cruiser or CV right in front of you.  The screenshot cits I got were on a Lexington and another Cherbourg.  I found a nice rock to sit next to and had my guns point forward most of the game.

cherbourg.jpg

• Cool 1

[70]
Members
1,391 posts
10,906 battles
On 8/3/2022 at 12:01 PM, MrYee said:

It is very possible to have a good game.

Yes, yes, good for you.

Just because some idiots get their Musashi killed quickly and are bad at it doesn't make the ship not overpowered.

Just because a few guys prance about showing off doesn't mean a line isn't garbage. See Pan-Asian CLs for example.

The French supercruisers are, in my experience so far, WORSE than PA CLs.

Edited by Guardian54
  • Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.