Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AeroSpaceNews_com

SS Robert Rowan Hit By 3 Bombs OTD 1943

3 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
8,393 posts
25,508 battles

Wonder why  you would have 421 crew on an ammunition ship?

Beta Testers
132 posts
8,883 battles
On 7/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Wonder why  you would have 421 crew on an ammunition ship?

That's a very good question that did not dawn on me! Perhaps it was a typo but the Naval Institute usually is pretty good at the details and accuracy. To your point, like, what, 42 would seem more typical, right? So maybe the 1 at the end was simple mistake?

Edit:

Mystery was bugging me so pressed my Google mental damage control button and found this oddly familiar yet conflicted account:

She also carried 14 U.S. Navy personnel, 32 U.S. Navy armed guards, and 41 crewmen. During the battle of Gela the Rowan was hit by three 500 kg bombs. Just before 14:00 hrs German Junkers Ju 88 bombers appeared overhead and attacked the ships in the bay. One bomb passed through the ship, but the other two exploded in the holds. Because of the nature of the cargo the ship was abandoned without any attempt to put the fire out. All 421 men on board safely evacuated the ship and were picked up by PT boats and transferred to nearby destroyers. 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Robert_Rowan

So somebody seems to have copied somebody's homework and repeated a typo. Or am I missing something?

Edited by AeroSpaceNews_com
Added new information found online.

Sign in to follow this